supplements

Options
I'm new to the world of supplements and I want to try and see if they actually work but I have no clue what's safe and what isn't but yet I at least wanna try. Any suggestions??

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean for weight loss? If so, there are none. If it's for general health, there's plenty.

If your diet isn't very varied, consider taking multivitamins and minerals. If you're having trouble hitting your daily protein goal, consider protein powder etc etc etc.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    You might want to reconsider taking supplements: http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/vitamin-pills-could-be-increasing-cancer-risk U of Col. cancer center's analysis of the current research concludes that taking vitamin supplements can increase cancer risk, rather than decreasing it the way consuming the natural forms of the vitamins in fruit/veggies seems to.

Personally, I think unless you have reason to believe that you are deficient in something, you shouldn't supplement vitamins. Aside from this particular analysis, other studies have concluded that many supplements don't contain what they're supposed to, and others conclude that there is no benefit to taking multivitamins, so altogether it seems to be a waste of money.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, i tried and am embarrassed to admit :

- Garcinia Cambogia
    - Green Coffee Bean extract
    - Green Tea extract
    - Raspberry ketones
    - CLA
    - Plexus
    - Fibre Slim
    - Capsicum

The only thing I lost was $$$$$$$$$$$$

Then i came on here and started counting calories, and recently added exercise, and BAM the weight fell off!!!
  • Stephanie3399
    Stephanie3399 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There are some supplements that I take for working out! BCAA's because I do a lot of running, but don't want to lose my muscles! I also take a multivitamin because I don't always get enough nutrients in my diet! I can message you and we can talk more about what is versus isn't safe! I know Walmart just removed a lot from their shelves due to the supplements not containing what it says it had in it!
  • aztec707
    aztec707 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm PRO supplements! Start w/a daily vitamin & whey protein powder.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I take CLA and guarana. It's supposed to help with body composition (i.e. retaining LBM while losing fat). I figure it can't hurt, might help.

There's a roundup of info here:
    http://www.lef.org/Magazine/2002/8/cover_cla/Page-01?p=1&checked=1

("Conclusion: The effect of CLA on blocking excess absorption of serum glucose and fatty acids into adipocytes (fat cells) is remarkable. CLA induces a reduction in the size of adipocytes. One reason people gain weight as they age is that their adipocytes literally become fatter.

Another cause of increased body fat storage is the proliferation of adipocytes. While CLA helps block the absorption of fat and sugar into adipocytes, it does not reduce the actual number of adipocytes present. Guarana has been shown to specifically reduce the number of adipocytes. When CLA was combined with guarana, there was a 50% reduction in adipocyte number.")

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    This is a useful independent resource: http://examine.com/supplements/
  • jscot002
    jscot002 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can waste a lot of money. I'm aged 50, eat heathy and reasonably fit. I have started using Vita sport by the Hansel food group. It's a water booster supplement, it's cheap and I only use it if I am really sweating and need a salt replacement eg 2-3 hour hill walking. I also use it when I go on holiday and walking all day or sweating extra because of the excerising in the heat. I have found most supplements and sports drinks are a useless unless you are in the 1% group of pro sports people.
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    it depends on what you're trying to achieve.
    are you talking about weight lifting, fat loss..?
    personally i take vitamin supplements every day.
    a multi vitamin, a b complex, vitamin D (especially during winter), and fish oil.

Aside from that, I take a pre-workout on the days I work out.

I only started taking pre-workouts after 3 years of being at the gym. I would suggest if this is what you're suggesting, you find out what your maximum potential is before tapping into these kinds of supplements.

As for fat loss supplements, they don't work.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the world of supplements and I want to try and see if they actually work but I have no clue what's safe and what isn't but yet I at least wanna try. Any suggestions??

With no specific purpose or need, you'll achieve no specific results. Don't waste your money.
  • Stran9e
    Stran9e Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Only supplements I've ever used have been protein powers and an energy supplements both worth my money, not sure about much else tho.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and cut out drinking milk because I don't want to be drinking my calories away. So I supplement with Calcium Carbonate (with Vit D3). I also take Glucosamine for my joints.

I'm going to be looking into adding in a protein powder, as I'm rarely meeting that macro each day.
  • christyj0725
    christyj0725 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight for my summer wedding. I forgot to mention that minor detail.

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Some things I have laying around:

Fish Oil for omega-3 fats
    Cal/Mag/Zinc with vitamin D. Most of us could use more vitamin D, and without supplements my magnesium and zinc levels go low.
    ZMA (zinc/magnesium) I take this at night to assist with sleep, and due to the previously mentioned deficiency.
    CoQ10. Seems like it could have some long-term benefits for cardiovascular health. Several doctors have recommended it, so I take it.

Those are my dailies.

I also have BCAA powder for if I haven't had time to eat before a workout. BCAAs work wonders for fasted workouts and energy levels.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight for my summer wedding. I forgot to mention that minor detail.

Supplements are good for general health, but not really weight loss.

Well, there are some supplements that are good for weight loss but they fall into the illegal and risky side effect boat.