Weight gain help?

Options
So I'm 22 standing at 6'1" and 185lbs, this app says if I want to gain 15 pounds at a pound a week I should be eating 3530 calories/ day.

I have a very fast metabolism, but have gained 25 pounds in four years. I go to the gym 5 days a week for 1.5 - 2 hours and try to run 2 miles a day.

I'm not a pro by any means, and it goes to show it at this stand still of my progress.

Any general tips be appreciated.

Replies

• terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is to eat more and/or run less. You've gained 25 lbs, that's really great! But, those extra pounds require more calories to keep going and its normal to have to increase calories during a bulk or after weight gain. If you haven't been doing it, keep track of your calories for a week or two and if you gain, maintain or lose weight. If you lost weight, increase by 500. If you maintained your current weight, increase by 250-500. If you gained weight, woohoo! Tracking your calories and weight together is important to knowing if you need to adjust.

Rather than eating more, you could run less. Most of us that are bulking currently limit our cardio due to the extra calories that it burns and because its already tough as it is to get enough calories.

So, simply put, eat more and/or run less. Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Outlaw478
    Outlaw478 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cut cardio down to just a 10 minute jog just to get your heart rate up beginning a workout. I'd also recomend cutting your workout time to 40mins max solid workout. There's such thing as over working your muscles. I'm guessing your an ectomorph build which is what I am. I'm currently eating 3500 calories a day. I'm still messing with my carbs, protein and fats intake percentages. Its a lot of trial and error to figure out what is best for you.
  • crawfzilla
    crawfzilla Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks fellas, unfortunately I can't cut out the running because I want to get onto the police service and get phenomenal times on the cardio exams. However, the calorie fluctuation tips help.

I've only been tracking for six days so at the end of this week if I'm not 186 I'll increase my intake.

Thanks again!