Is it possible for anyone to get abs?

Options
Hi all,

Quick and maybe silly question. Can anyone have a 6 pack if they work hard enough for it? Or is it only possible for some people (i.e. genetics).

I have never had a flat stomach or abs, but I would love it.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Put enough work in and eat the right foods and yes you can have that six pack you are after. It will take time and dedication though.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    85kurtz wrote: »
    Put enough work in and eat the right foods and yes you can have that six pack you are after. It will take time and dedication though.

What are the right foods?

OP, we all have abs but in order to have then visibly defined it's about having them developed enough and a lower bf%.

That's what I was going to say!

I've got better abs by doing lots of squats and deads. My abs used to fairly flat and not really defined even at low BF%. They're now more prominent when I'm lean, I don't train "abs" though.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You were born with abs. Unless you have a horrific birth defect. But you'd probably know, because you'd be bent over with your torso flopping around everywhere.

That said, visible abs are harder to get for the ladies. You need wicked low body fat. Strength training helps, so you look better at lower body fat, you know, if you're into that.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You were born with abs. Unless you have a horrific birth defect. But you'd probably know, because you'd be bent over with your torso flopping around everywhere.

That said, visible abs are harder to get for the ladies. You need wicked low body fat. Strength training helps, so you look better at lower body fat, you know, if you're into that.

Your description of not having abs made me laugh.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    We all have abs. Having a 6 pack is easy. The hard part is having a visible one ;) Being a woman, this means you will probably have to lower your body fat to below 20%.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    yup

anyone can
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I have just never had low enough body fat % to see my abs! Here's hoping I get there :smile:
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Your description of not having abs made me laugh.

Me too! The description of not having abs reminded me that mine are still there (I hear giggling does that...)

The above posters are right - anyone can get visible abs. What body fat % you need to get to to have that happen however, varies for everyone.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Lols at these replies. I can feel mine when I tense but need to lose more blubber before they're visible! Not that I want that "cut" look.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio and work construction to have visible abs. Whatever workout you do, make sure you suck in your stomach to really work the core.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    85kurtz wrote: »

What are the right foods?

OP, we all have abs but in order to have then visibly defined it's about having them developed enough and a lower bf%.

This. My abs are starting to show nicely (profile picture was taken a few days ago), but I have a pretty low bf% and I'm doing some body-weight strength training exercises right now, which are doing magical things for me :)

eta: I've also had three kids- getting the bf% down and the body-weight exercises really do work :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Theoretically yes, realistically no.
    Some people are just never going to get 6 pack visible abs.
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    Options

This. My abs are starting to show nicely (profile picture was taken a few days ago), but I have a pretty low bf% and I'm doing some body-weight strength training exercises right now, which are doing magical things for me :)

eta: I've also had three kids- getting the bf% down and the body-weight exercises really do work :)

Your stomach looks amazing! I can't believe you have had 3 kids! Yours and @My_Butt are exactly the kind of stomach I would like!