All about fitbits...

I'm thinking about getting one but would love to know all about them... Price? Where to get them? What does it track? Does it keep you motivated? The pros? The cons? Etc...

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    I have the zip and it just tracks steps taken. My stepdad bought it for me but of them, I believe it's the cheaper option since it doesn't track sleep or anything else. It was interesting to see how many steps I take at work depending on the day and what department I'm assigned. Other than that, I don't pay it much attention. I have some family/friends but I'm not competitive. However, I do know it motivates my stepdad to take more steps because I am on my feet all shift at work so he has a little more competition now. Sometimes he even gets more steps than me.

Con - battery. I've changed the battery a couple of times so far. And it's easy to forget. Plus, I don't find it useful to sync with this site because I consider the steps as part of the activity level I have set, so don't want it changing the calorie range I'm going for, so I don't have it synced.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    I have had the fitbit flex for almost 2 years now. I love it, but considering "upgrading" to the garmin vivosmart.

Tons of places sell them. You can either go right online to fitbit.com, or if you prefer in person- best buy, Costco, Walmart (pretty sure they sell them).

The flex tracks- steps, calories burned, distance, food (syncs with mfp), and sleep. I do find it keeps me motivated but it seems to be one of the simplier products out there.

Pros: helps me keep active, syncs well with mfp, can go a few days without needing to be charged, can be worn in the shower (the charge and surge models can not). You can change the color of your band.

Cons: the fastener can come off, so I reccommend buying one of the securing bands (slips over the fastener so it can't pop off)
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    edited April 2015
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I have had the fitbit flex for almost 2 years now. I love it, but considering "upgrading" to the garmin vivosmart.

Tons of places sell them. You can either go right online to fitbit.com, or if you prefer in person- best buy, Costco, Walmart (pretty sure they sell them).

The flex tracks- steps, calories burned, distance, food (syncs with mfp), and sleep. I do find it keeps me motivated but it seems to be one of the simplier products out there.

Pros: helps me keep active, syncs well with mfp, can go a few days without needing to be charged, can be worn in the shower (the charge and surge models can not). You can change the color of your band.

Cons: the fastener can come off, so I reccommend buying one of the securing bands (slips over the fastener so it can't pop off)

I'm getting interested as well about the fitbit, but now I want to figure which one i want.
    OP, I found the flex online at walmart. I did see the fitbit hr (the one I originally wanted) for under $150. The fitbit flex is under $100. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fitbit-Flex-Wireless-Activity-Sleep-Band/26469465

@elphie754;32202369 about the fitbit flex, do you find the calorie burns pretty accurate? Or are they over or underestimated by much?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    uvi5 wrote: »

I'm getting interested as well about the fitbit, but now I want to figure which one i want.
    OP, I found the flex online at walmart. I did see the fitbit hr (the one I originally wanted) for under $150. The fitbit flex is under $100. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fitbit-Flex-Wireless-Activity-Sleep-Band/26469465

@elphie754;32202369 about the fitbit flex, do you find the calorie burns pretty accurate? Or are they over or underestimated by much?

I find it pretty accurate, but I also have both set to sedentary and eat back a good portion of what it says I've burned (if not all) and I'm losing pretty close to what it says I should be losing.
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    I bought the Fitbit Charge, I do wish i got the Charge HR but wasn't sure how much i'd actually use / rely on it. I think the social aspect of the App helps to hold you accountable which for me drives me. It also showed me I was doing alot less than I thought I was before i got it!
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    uvi5 wrote: »

I find it pretty accurate, but I also have both set to sedentary and eat back a good portion of what it says I've burned (if not all) and I'm losing pretty close to what it says I should be losing.

Good to know. Thank you :smiley:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Get a zip

You can put it on your waistband or in your bra

It is cheaper and the best model I've found tbh (I also have a flex but had no reason to track my sleep)

I do not buy into the rationale behind the HR versions - there is no point in tracking your HR 24 hours unless you have a heart condition, it certainly doesn't give you any more accurate TDEE calorie estimate because the formulae underpinning HR to calories are for steady-state cardio (like jogging at a steady pace) only

I personally have used a fitbit every day for the last 8 months or so to track my movement, my MFP is set to sedentary with negative calories enabled, I am far from sedentary but it works for me. I also use an HRM (Polar FT4) for my workouts.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    I've been using a Fitbit charge HR since February, and I love it. My greatest motivation from it is the social aspect of the steps competitions you can have with your friends (the ones in the same time zone at least).

I do agree with @rabbitjb in that there isn't really a point to tracking your HR 24/7; I use it because I like seeing how my resting HR drops with the more exercise I do, as well as how much it increases when I'm having a stressful week (I watched it jump 10bpm for the whole of last week when I was travelling for work).
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    I have a zip. It's cheap and helps motivate me to be more active.

I have it synced with MFP, and have allowed negative calorie adjustments so if I'm being a lazy I lose calories to eat, that helps get me off ny butt!

I clip it on my bra as I don't like the look of the wrist bands and can't wear anything on my arms/wrists at work.

My TDEE recorded by the fitbit is accurate according to my fitbit, logging and weightloss calculations.

Cons- the zip needs a battery and can't be recharged. It only measures step based activities (however you can record the times and calories burned for other activities and u do this for cycling, it then overused the step count for that period of time)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,133 Member
    edited April 2015
    +1 that Fitbit TDEE voodoo magically works out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/PAV8888/view/fitbit-charge-hr-good-idea-accurate-adjustments-741808

+1 that the ZIP will work fine.
    I still bought (and would buy) the Charge HR because I like graphs and pictures and wavy lines and walk a lot :smiley: but not if it was a hardship.

-1 in that the Charge HR does NOT count steps accurately when you walk in the 110 to 130 steps a minute range. So, I still don't understand how the burn ends up right!

Edit to add info covered in my blog post:
    -1 in that the Charge HR also doesn't do accurate HR under exercise conditions. So, I still don't understand how the burn ends up right!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    +1 on the accuracy of the Fitbit generated TDEE if you mostly engage in steady state cardio activity. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/PAV8888/view/fitbit-charge-hr-good-idea-accurate-adjustments-741808

+1 that the ZIP will calculate your TDEE as effectively as the pricier HR versions. I still bought (and would buy) the Charge HR because I like graphs and pictures and wavy lines and walk a lot :smiley:; but not if it was a hardship.

what graphs and pictures and wavy lines do you get over and above standard fitbit stuff though - I assume there's a HR tracker but what else?
  • PAV8888
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    what graphs and pictures and wavy lines do you get over and above standard fitbit stuff though - I assume there's a HR tracker but what else?
    Err. That. I am easily amused!
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5ivy2PKgcqcdkY3MklPamVSYVE&usp=sharing
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,543 Member
    Just be aware that at high HR levels the wrist monitors are NOT accurate at all! I've tried about 3 of them (both Charge HR and Surge), Microsoft Band and they drop out like crazy once you get to an anaerobic level. For just walking around then it's fine.
  • PAV8888
    joehempel wrote: »
    Just be aware that at high HR levels the wrist monitors are NOT accurate at all! I've tried about 3 of them (both Charge HR and Surge), Microsoft Band and they drop out like crazy once you get to an anaerobic level. For just walking around then it's fine.
    Err. Correct. The only ones that work are the Mio/Philips sensor products (Mio, Tom Tom Cardio, others?), and the valencell sensor (Scorsche Rhythm+)
  • fat2fitshley
    fat2fitshley Posts: 50 Member
    edited April 2015
    I've had the fitbit flex since Christmas and I love it. It really does motivate me to work out/walk more. My husband has hardly had to walk the dog since I got it. I just changed my activity level on MFP to sedentary with the fitbit adjustment to see how it goes with weightloss.

The competitions are fun, but my sister, cousin and I are way too competitive so I haven't done with them for the last few months. We all take it too seriously.

ETA: I eat back all or most of the exercise calories it gives me. I average about 13-14K steps per day.
  • RolemodelmomT
    RolemodelmomT Posts: 107 Member
    Why does everyone eat back the calories? I thought you wouldn't want to eat back the work out calories?!?! What am I not understanding?
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    I have a Charge HR and I love it! Wearing it every day has been super motivating for me.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Have had the fitbit one for about 2 years and love it. I charge it about every 10 days, usually when i am playing on the computer. It keeps me motivated with the step counting. When working out I find the active minutes tracking as well as the step counter and kilometres covered featues useful to make sure that I am not slacking off. I do used the sleep feature as I occasionally suffer from insomnia and it gives me a better perspective on how much sleep I have really had. My husband uses the alarm on him to wake him up, and as I am a light sleeper the vibration/alarm wakes me to. I was thinking of upgrading to one with a hr monitor as well but having read the above posts I will probably stick with this one ad it does what I need.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2015
    I asked for & received a Fitbit One for Christmas 2014. LOVE it. Have tried a wrist based tracker, but I don't wear a watch & don't like having it on my wrist. The One attaches to my pocket/waste/bra and seems very accurate. Have heard sometimes the wrist worn trackers don't count properly depending on what you're doing with your arms.

There are different manufacturers and each has several models to choose from. Most track steps, estimate calories burned from activity, estimate miles covered (based on a stride setting usually, not GPS). Some are water proof (Polar Loop), some are water resistant (Fitbit Flex). Some have inactivity alerts that will get your attention if you've been still for too long. Fitbit has the ability to add friends and do challenges with friends - not sure if the others do?

Some have the ability to work with a heart rate monitor - but keep in mind this is for cardio sessions, not all day use. Most have rechargeable batteries. I plug the One in when I'm showering.

I'm thinking about getting one but would love to know all about them... Price? Where to get them? What does it track? Does it keep you motivated? The pros? The cons? Etc...

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    I love my Charge HR. Other than the stupid rash it gave me on my right arm so now have to wear it on my left which is completely awful. I am quite childish... I love the HR. I watched it soar to 109 from 59 when I got told I had tickets to a concert I was really wanting to go to. Hahahaha. Small things amuse small minds.