Do you ever take a day off from working out?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone takes a day off from working out. I truly can't remember the last time I didn't run but I'm wondering if that's not healthy. Usually I love running but the past few days it's been difficult to motivate myself to do it. Is that my body's way of telling me to take the day off or is that normal?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes. I train 4 days/week and rest 3.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    usually 1 or 2 days a week.

Listen to your body and breaks are good.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I am always ACTIVE, like I always at least go for a walk or walk my kid to school etc. but I don't work out on purpose every. single. day.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - always at least one day of rest per week, sometimes two, and every so often I take a full week off.

Rest days are important, the body needs time to rest and heal. Sounds like your body is asking for a break.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty active all day. I have three kids so I'm constantly chasing after them and playing with them. Even though it might be smart for me to take a day off, it just feels weird. At the same time I'm actually really tired.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I only rest on days I feel like I need rest. So when I'm eating a lot everyday, I may go for 20+ days of intense training without a break. Some days I train twice a day. I've never "overtrained" except maybe once, when I caught a terrible flu...though that may have just been the flu.

Alot of people will say that training everyday is bad. Garbage. I've been doing this for 11 years. If you can train everyday, and you're excited about training everyday, then train everyday. If you feel like you need a break, take one. Everything should be intuitive.
  • ajcmoran2005
    Options
    One more question then. The days you don't work out, how much do you reduce your caloric intake by? I've been losing using the TDEE -20% at moderately active so on days when I decide not to run should I put it to lightly active and use that recommendation?
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I usually take off 1-2 days a week (or, since I do two daily workouts, I'll take off one morning and one night).
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    "Intentional workouts"-I only do 3-4 days a week.

Though on other days I may be gardening or going for a hike or riding my bike in the neighborhood.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    One more question then. The days you don't work out, how much do you reduce your caloric intake by? I've been losing using the TDEE -20% at moderately active so on days when I decide not to run should I put it to lightly active and use that recommendation?

No, your activity level is factored in and then it gives you a daily calorie rec.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

My activity level for my TDEE is set at "exercises 3-5 times a week"... So I don"t have to change my calories on rest days as long as I workout 3-5 days a week.
  • Time2Commit
    Options
    It is always recommended to take at least 1 rest day a week. :)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Yeah of course :) Although having been sick I have had a lot of days off in the last 3 weeks... lots to make up for!

Your TDEE should account for your days working out as well as your days off. (usually asks how many hours a week or how many hours per day, how many times per week etc.) and then use that because then you will always be eating the right amount no matter what.

I prefer the start at 1200 and eat back everything I do (that is worth recording of course) and have been fairly sucessful.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    When I push really hard in a workout I will sometimes come on a day where my body is very sluggish and fatigued, and my endorphins simply aren't flowing. It's not just mental, but physical. At this point jogging feels more like pulling on the strings of a doll than in propelling my body forward, if that makes sense. On those days it makes sense to rest or "save up" for a super intense workout once my body is recovered.

I'd take more rest days than I do, but I like to eat more. Right now I probably average one every couple of weeks.
  • natsthename
    natsthename Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I take one or two days "off" from the gym. I might ride my bike or walk on those days, just to keep moving, but it's not an official "work out."
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    of course. 1-2 days a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    One to two days per week for rest and recovery. It doesn't mean I just sit around and eat Dorritos and do nothing though...I'm generally active on my rest days and often participate in recreational "exercise" like going for a bike ride or something. I just don't participate in rigorous exercise. Proper rest is just as important as the workout itself.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I train 4-6 days a week depending on how busy I am... I usually take weekends off but still walk a lot because I have a pooch to take care of :smile:
  • ajcmoran2005
    Options
    When I push really hard in a workout I will sometimes come on a day where my body is very sluggish and fatigued, and my endorphins simply aren't flowing. It's not just mental, but physical. At this point jogging feels more like pulling on the strings of a doll than in propelling my body forward, if that makes sense. On those days it makes sense to rest or "save up" for a super intense workout once my body is recovered.

I'd take more rest days than I do, but I like to eat more. Right now I probably average one every couple of weeks.

Wow, you have described exactly how I'm feeling today! Usually I really look forward to my daily run but this morning it feels like I would be dragging 500 ton weights behind me. Ugh. Maybe I do need to rest for a day.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Of course! If I spend an afternoon hiking or kayaking it's always a good idea to do a rest day. Gotta let those muscles heal up.