Options
2»

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The thing that I let die that frustrates me the most is balance. I had fabulous balance into my pre teen years--could do cartwheels on the balance beam and all sorts of one-footed things, and now my balance is horrible. It's better than when I was way overweight and is coming back slightly as I'm working on it (plus, working on balance is the one thing that makes putting on hose or tights remotely redeemable as something to do, as you can turn it into a challenge), but SO, SO slowly.

My balance is lousy as well. But six weeks with a group PT trainer (three in the group) helped tremendously. I couldn't do a lunge without holding onto the wall when I first started, but now I can do them easily, even with a ten pound kettle bell. (Actually, the kettle bell seems to help my balance.)

I hula hooped and jumped rope like crazy when I was a kid, but can't do a hula hoop though I've tried many times. I keep trying to shake my body and that is not how it works. Guess I need to look up a how to hula hoop youtube!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    It's so funny that you posted this today, because yesterday I found the rope (it is a 'proper' leather fitness one) I bought last time I was going to get fit (hmph, yeah). I dug it out and thought I'll go and do it in the garage, where I won't break light fixtures or scare the dog. I also lasted maybe 2 minutes before I was rubbery-legged and gasping. I'll keep trying though, because it was kind of fun. I would also like to buy an adult hula hoop but they are about $50 which seems way too much!

One thing I was reminded of, when thinking back on being a kid skipping, was how we'd all nag my mum to do what she called 'bumps' which was 2 rotations of the rope to one jump. She must only have been 30-35 and on her way to being pretty heavy then. It was quite impressive because none of us kids could do it.

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    It's so funny that you posted this today, because yesterday I found the rope (it is a 'proper' leather fitness one) I bought last time I was going to get fit (hmph, yeah). I dug it out and thought I'll go and do it in the garage, where I won't break light fixtures or scare the dog. I also lasted maybe 2 minutes before I was rubbery-legged and gasping. I'll keep trying though, because it was kind of fun. I would also like to buy an adult hula hoop but they are about $50 which seems way too much!

One thing I was reminded of, when thinking back on being a kid skipping, was how we'd all nag my mum to do what she called 'bumps' which was 2 rotations of the rope to one jump. She must only have been 30-35 and on her way to being pretty heavy then. It was quite impressive because none of us kids could do it.

Maybe I should start a "Skipping Isn't Easy When You Aren't 6" group? LOL!!
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Oh I love skipping rope! Or well, I love the idea of it, because it’s a great low-impact thing to do when my knees bother me from running, but I too have pretty rubbish endurance for it. I find I can go longer with 10-second breaks every 50 seconds, sort of like a HIIT workout typa thing.

I have no idea how I did it so much as a kid. I like the robot theory a lot.