Freaking out about (TMI alert) my poop color

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    OP is hardly eating enough calories to keep a cat alive.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member

Does the cat have green poop too?
  • BonJody
    BonJody Posts: 25 Member
    When I said the poop was tannish and slightly green, it's mostly tannish. Maybe I'll poop in a baggie and take it to Home Depot's paint department to get an accurate color sampling. ;)

Yesterday was a lower calorie day, but my range is about 2,500ish calories.

Considering my eating habits, I think I'd be more likely to have Ghirardelli than Giardia lamblia.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Green stools

If stool passes through the intestine too quickly, there might not be enough time for bile to be digested and broken down to provide the normal brownish stool color. Bile is a greenish brown fluid that is manufactured in the liver and stored in the gallbladder. Bile helps digest fats in food. It takes time for the bile to degrade and turn brown in the intestine and if the transit time is short, the stool remains green colored. This is why diarrhea is often greenish in color.

Green stools may be a normal variant. It can also be caused by a diet rich in green vegetables, especially spinach. Iron supplements also may be a cause, though it often turns stool black

http://www.medicinenet.com/stool_color_changes/article.htm

This. You aren't likely to have any real reason to worry. If it just keeps right on doing this, or you start feeling really lousy, call up your doctor. But we all see weird stuff in the can from time to time lol.
  • atypicalsmith
    aimeerace wrote: »

Does the cat have green poop too?

Probably.
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    jpaulie wrote: »
    try eating a bunch of beets. freak you out the next day
    Every. Freaking. Time.
    I was going to say the same thing. No matter what, there's the two seconds of "Oh my God what... oh yeah, beets."
    Peeing in the morning is actually almost worse for me, since I'm usually half asleep and don't notice the bowl's all reddish until I'm almost done.
  • BonJody
    Thanks for the help. I think. Ha, just kidding. Great (and humorous) comments.

Atypicalsmith, good point about not eating enough. It's not on purpose. I haven't felt ravenous as usual (maybe getting rid of artificial sweeteners in my body helped?). I also noticed not all of my food was logged, but that's only the difference of a couple hundred calories on a couple of days.

Anyway, I'll try to stick closer to my plan this week, which is about 2,500 calories/day.
  • BonJody
    P.S. I just pooped and I'd say the color is a peanut/caramel color. Now you know.
  • KristenMarie1181
    KristenMarie1181 Posts: 216 Member
    You gotta do a colonocopsy or however you spell it >.>
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    If you are consuming stevia in equal measure to your previous Diet Coke fix I can't imagine how bad your gas must be. that stuff kills me.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    BonJody wrote: »
    P.S. I just pooped and I'd say the color is a peanut/caramel color. Now you know.

But... but... did you weigh after? 1 pound closer to goal weight, FTW!
  • atypicalsmith
    Thanks for the help. I think. Ha, just kidding. Great (and humorous) comments.

Atypicalsmith, good point about not eating enough. It's not on purpose. I haven't felt ravenous as usual (maybe getting rid of artificial sweeteners in my body helped?). I also noticed not all of my food was logged, but that's only the difference of a couple hundred calories on a couple of days.

Anyway, I'll try to stick closer to my plan this week, which is about 2,500 calories/day.

Good! Your wife and children need you!
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    My poop is green everyday! It's normal and it happens to me when I eat lots of greens (I put spinach in my smoothies). When I don't eat as many greens I notice the color changes back to tan or brown. Nothing to worry about! =)
  • BonJody
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    If you are consuming stevia in equal measure to your previous Diet Coke fix I can't imagine how bad your gas must be. that stuff kills me.

I've mostly substituted water for Diet Coke. I drink over 100 ounces of agua a day now. I'll have about two 12-ounce cans of a Stevia-sweetened soda a day. I plan on bringing that down once my I NEED DIET COKE NOW phase is over.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Hey, at least its not bright green like my grandaughters was when she ate the blue, flavored, apple sauce...
  • brewingPHX
    brewingPHX Posts: 284 Member
    fairy2b wrote: »
    My poop is green everyday! It's normal and it happens to me when I eat lots of greens (I put spinach in my smoothies). When I don't eat as many greens I notice the color changes back to tan or brown. Nothing to worry about! =)

Pictures! Or it didn't happen.
  • atypicalsmith
    bostonwolf wrote: »

I've mostly substituted water for Diet Coke. I drink over 100 ounces of agua a day now. I'll have about two 12-ounce cans of a Stevia-sweetened soda a day. I plan on bringing that down once my I NEED DIET COKE NOW phase is over.

Not a darned thing wrong with Diet Coke. Much better than (yuck) coffee or (yucker) energy drinks. Why are you quitting Diet Coke?
  • Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    jpaulie wrote: »
    try eating a bunch of beets. freak you out the next day
    See, I love beets (especially the pickled kind!) and I've NEVER had this happen. Like, ever. Not even when I've had closer to half a jar's worth.

(Freaked out good and proper the first time sweetcorn sailed right through, though...)
  • BonJody
    Atypicalsmith, my nutrition consultant wants me to avoid artificial sweeteners. Plus, I was drinking about three huge refills a day plus multiple cans of Diet Coke every day. That can't be good. FWIW, I've never drank coffee or energy drinks.
  • BonJody
    Also, my doctor just sent me a message to stop worrying about the color of my poop right now (more details than that, but that was the gist).

Now to eat some beets and see what happens ...