Lateral Deltoid Help

Options
CrabNebula
CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
My triceps and biceps are leaving my lateral delts in the dust, so I am developing very uneven looking upper arms. I need some advice as to what/how I can lift to fix this. I only have access to dumbbells, so don't suggest anything that requires a bar.

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    http://www.chunkfitness.com/exercises/shoulder-exercises/side-deltoid-exercises

Edit: Agree with Allan on you focus should be more on compound movements than isolation movements. Compounds give more balance to muscle development.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’m assuming you’re doing a lot of isolation work for your arms. Focus on more compound movements (standing overhead press, pull ups, bench press, deadlift). These will call to task the full shoulder complex and help it catch up. Yes, I know deadlifts would likely require a barbell. If you care about muscular development, maybe its time to invest?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    My triceps and biceps are leaving my lateral delts in the dust, so I am developing very uneven looking upper arms. I need some advice as to what/how I can lift to fix this. I only have access to dumbbells, so don't suggest anything that requires a bar.

What do your upper body training sessions look like now??
  • CrabNebula
    Options
    I think part of my problem is that lifting is an afterthought. My major fitness focus is on rowing (for progressively longer distances), followed by incline treadmill (training for hiking). Lifting is seen as a supportive activity - what can I strengthen to make me a better rower/hiker? Quads and lats are huge targets, for example. But I am noticing that whatever I am (not) doing is starting to make my upper arms look really unbalanced.

Twice a week, I try to do:

Lat pulldown
    Low row
    Shoulder press
    Chest press
    Triceps extension
    Lateral raise (maybe I am doing these wrong?!)
    Leg extension
    Squats

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I’m confused. You said you only have dumbbells, but these all look like machine exercises. If so, get off the machines. Since you’re not using stabilizing muscles (which include the delts), you’re not building them up.
  • CrabNebula
    Options
    There are only three machines in the gym, none specific to delts, so didn't think it was worth mentioning. I don't use the chest/shoulder press one because I just don't like it. I chest/shoulder press with dumbbells.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Overhead press is by far the king of shoulder exercises. Lateral raise is not a bad exercise, but you should primarily focus on overhead press if you want big shoulders.
  • Alipop
    Alipop Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the vids. Very helpful.