Paleo anyone?

Options

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Most of that sounds just as silly as some of the Paleo Diet claims. And no, fad diets are not all the same, even though they may share an adjective.

The specifics are different, but the premise is the same. That premise being, you need to restrict your food choices and divide them among "good" or "permitted" foods, vs. "bad" or "prohibited" foods.

If you want to, then fine. That's your choice, and your luxury to make that choice. Just, it wouldn't be any different than, say, eating vegan, or eating kosher or halal. Recognize that it's a moral or religious choice, not a health or science-based one. And then do as you please.

But to promote the idea that it's necessary to radically alter one's diet or to completely restrict certain foods in order to lose weight or be healthy? That's just not a claim supported by any real evidence. Which makes it faith-based, not science-based.

And yes, in that way, it's exactly like the grapefruit diet.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    It's a fad diet with zero scientific support and a ridiculous premise.

If you want to follow it, have fun with that. Just don't go thinking it's any more magical thank the Atkins diet, the Grapefruit diet, the Cayenne Pepper diet or the myriad other fad diets that came before it.

Or, you could just follow CICO and eat whatever you like. Your choice.

You think a diet that admittedly has some pretty wild claims, but still promotes eating whole natural foods and not starving yourself to diets like the grapefruit or ceyenne pepper diet?

Any diet that isn't based on actual science or histroy, and uses outlandish claims while being very restrictive is a fad diet in my opinion.

Whether something is a fad has to do with popularity, not science.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Been 4 years on paleo (90%) paleo- love it, helps my IBS. I don't miss grains or bread or pasta and I would only consider them around that time of the month (oats or a bread roll to halp my carb cravings). I've never been a big eater of pasta or rice or potatoes so my meals haven't changed much. I stopped being veggie after 12 years to go paleo but instead of a quorn steak I have a chicken breat now. Tonights dinner is pork loin steak with ratatouille-style veg ( aubergine, courgette, onions, mushrooms, peppers- in a home made tomato and herb sauce) If I'd had any in the house I'd of added a side of broccoli.
    For me it's about replacing garins with veg- e.g. bologniaise sauce over kale or broccoli instead of pasta. It's much more flavourful for me. I don't always call it paleo- it's just the way i eat.
  • mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Look, any diet that you follow that gets you away from eating the tremendous amounts of refined foods, the pounds of sugar, and the gallons of saturated fats we consume, then how bad can it be?
  • ProfessorPupil
    ProfessorPupil Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on Paleo. My own personal experience was that I lost 96 lbs eating Paleo, then gained it all back because it was far too restrictive for me to live like that long term. I've never been less healthy in my life. I was better off before I lost the weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mls100771 wrote: »
    Look, any diet that you follow that gets you away from eating the tremendous amounts of refined foods, the pounds of sugar, and the gallons of saturated fats we consume, then how bad can it be?

Is the Paleo diet about reducing the amount of saturated fat in the diet? I've never done it, but I thought one the premises of the diet was that saturated fat wasn't harmful?
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I tried it, I love meat, and fresh veggies, but I found that without carbs I lacked energy for football, basketball, and strenuous lifts. I'm not against Paleo, but I do have a problem with the cultish devotion some people have to it. Many people treat it like a religion. Ironically, it's usually the crossfit cultists that fall into that mindset. If it works for you, do it, just be aware that some folks out there take it to the extreme.

Rigger
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Is the Paleo diet about reducing the amount of saturated fat in the diet? I've never done it, but I thought one the premises of the diet was that saturated fat wasn't harmful?

That is my understanding as well. I did a little reading on the diet, though not a whole lot since I knew it wasn't for me as soon as I read legumes were frowned upon, and from what I saw saturated fat is promoted rather discouraged
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

If you want to follow it, have fun with that. Just don't go thinking it's any more magical thank the Atkins diet, the Grapefruit diet, the Cayenne Pepper diet or the myriad other fad diets that came before it.

You think a diet that admittedly has some pretty wild claims, but still promotes eating whole natural foods and not starving yourself to diets like the grapefruit or ceyenne pepper diet?

Any diet that isn't based on actual science or histroy, and uses outlandish claims while being very restrictive is a fad diet in my opinion.

In your opinion. That's fine.

Not sure what "time frame" constitutes a fad in your opinion, but I would think that Paleo would still fit that bill.

Also,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_faddism
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

LOL I knew it would be less than an hour before someone chimed in with this. segacs is right, though - it isn't magic. It is worth trying, however. I tried it as a "what the heck" thing and I'm really glad I did. It isn't for everyone, but I love it mainly because I am now more conscious about my nutrition and lifestyle as a whole, and because it has gotten me back into the kitchen, experimenting with foods and spices and home-cooked meals. It was more of a guide for me on how to get healthy again when I was in a very unhealthy part of my life.

This is how I think of it.

I'm not doing it now, mainly because I can't see any reason (for me) to give up grains and beans, and I'd miss dairy a lot, but depending on the person it can be a useful way to get yourself to focus on cooking (if only because it's hard to do without it) and the nature of the constraints are that at least at first most people probably end up with a calorie deficit even if they don't have logging down yet. And following a new way of eating can be motivating to some people, just as it can be a pointless drag to others.

I don't like the claims that grains and beans and dairy are bad for us, because I just don't think the evidence is there, but if someone wants to experiment with it and see if they feel better I see no harm.

It is my impression that when people have been doing it for a while they usually find a way to overeat within the restrictions (or just start following it less rigorously).
  • lemurcat12
    edited April 2015
    Options

That's my understanding--none of the paleo sources/paleo followers I know are anti sat fat at all.

They are generally pro omega 3 and into pastured/wild-caught animals and, in theory (although I think this is followed less than some other bits) eating the whole animal.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Not sure what "time frame" constitutes a fad in your opinion, but I would think that Paleo would still fit that bill.

Also,

Wow! That is certainly a varied list of diets that Wiki has provided. By their definition, I would think timeframe is irrelevant.
  • lemurcat12
    edited April 2015
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Are you worried about any long term health effects? I have heard that it has not been studied enough.

I am not sure what long term health effects could occur by simply avoiding things like wheat, sugar, processed food and seed oils.

I think the argument would be that whole grains and beans and (arguably) dairy are good for you and (as Marion Nestle wrote in the NYT recently) that eliminating broad categories of food like that can remove beneficial properties that we may not even yet have identified and make it more difficult to get all our nutrients, that a varied diet is best.

My view is that the benefits of whole grains are likely overrated, and that someone can have a more varied diet on paleo quite easily than probably the average follower of SAD--it just depends on the individual.

But it is true that if we look at correlations those with whole grains and beans tend to be positive (see the recent discussion of the MIND diet and the related Med diet and DASH diet) and those with sat fat are negative.

I eat closer to paleo on average than DASH (just personal preference and that I don't think any of the efforts to find some ideal diet are particularly convincing--my view is that being active, not too overweight, and generally (not always) cooking from whole foods, getting enough protein, a good bit from fatty fish, and lots of veggies (ideally including greens) is probably good enough to do what you can toward health, and that all else is personal preference).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Also,

Wow! That is certainly a varied list of diets that Wiki has provided. By their definition, I would think timeframe is irrelevant.

Agreed.

• mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Whoa! Easy folks! I'm just saying! Yes, the Paleo diet allows you to consume some saturated fat, but it's by no means a free for all!
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I know someone that has been on it for years and she is really healthy. She was in a car crash, almost lost her life, was in hospital for months and someone who was in the next bed told her about the diet, what she called the caveman diet. Once she was out of hospital she started and never looked back, which is over five years now. She is super fit and super brainy. She lost tons of weight and has not gained it back since. Its good for anyone suffering from IBS, or so I've been told.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Whoa! Easy folks! I'm just saying! Yes, the Paleo diet allows you to consume some saturated fat, but it's by no means a free for all!

Are you sure? Aren't the Paleo folks the ones putting butter or coconut oil in their coffee in an effort to get more saturated fat in?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I never said it was a free-for-all, but your comment seemed to indicate that someone going Paleo would reduce their consumption of saturated fat. Based on my observations, I don't think that is the case.