Fish - Any hope in making it less....fishy?

Options

Replies

• Maries_wine_calories
    Maries_wine_calories Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This recipe is for Basa Loins, (Costco $12.99 about 9 per bag). I prepare 5 loins thawed and marinated in the fridge for one hour with an even sprinkling of lemon juice, paprika, ginger, garlic powder, black pepper and pink salts (parsley if you like). Pan fried in 2 tbsp of olive oil on pre-heated pan. Cook on medium (convection) heat 10 minutes one side, flip and 6-8 minutes second side or until desired crispy/brown-ness. NOT a fishy fish, nice and flaky "meaty" white meat that pairs well with Orzo or rice :)
  • Nikkei74
    Nikkei74 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'd look outside eating it as a fillet. Thai fish cakes are really straight forward to make. Moqueqa de peixe is a delicious fish stew, as are the many fish curries from Kerala. If you do want to stick to fillets, swordfish steaks taste quite meaty rather than fishy, especially if you barbecue it. Albacore can be similar. And if you want to stick with salmon, try it with wasabi mayonnaise to cover up the fish taste. Good luck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    Some people only like fish when it doesn't actually taste like the fish it is regardless of the freshness. If that's the case either learn to like fish in all of it's magnificence or save for me. :)
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You NEED salt! The fish taco ideas are also ones that work great in our house.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Salmon, swordfish, and tuna are among the stronger tasting fishes. Try something white-fleshed like flounder, tilapia, etc. These are readily available frozen and tilapia is likely to be cheaper than salmon.

Here's a trick my father used to make a strong fish, like bluefish, milder. He'd put the fillets skin-side down on a foil-line baking sheet. Then he'd salt and pepper the fish. Then he'd spread mayonnaise on it like you would peanut butter on bread. Finally, he'd squeeze lemon juice on top before cooking. Before eating, we'd push the cooked mayonnaise off the top and the resulting fish was very mild and not-at-all smelly.
  • esmeregina
    esmeregina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As far as salmon, grill it on a wood plank! No oil needed, but adds a nice flavor. Marinating it first helps too, in a bit of saltwater.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Buy it as fresh as possible.

Very fresh fish doesn't really taste fishy. Fresh raw tuna tastes more like a meat than a fish.
  • ruthtruman
    ruthtruman Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Get the freshest, wild caught white fish (cod is awesome and so is Mahi Mahi) and use it the same day you buy it. Heat oven to 350. Wash filet, pat it dry, place on a large piece of aluminum foil. Then spray very lightly with olive or coconut oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, a dash of garlic powder, a dusting of ground cumin and a light dash of ground cayenne pepper-- with these spices, less is more, use a light hand. A sprig of fresh dill is nice too. Then, make a tent with the foil, folding edges together a few inches above the fish so as to trap the steam in when you cook the fish in the oven. Cook for 10 minutes. Pull out of oven and let sit a couple minutes before carefully opening your foil tent-- careful that you don't let escaping steam burn you. This will be a very moist, flavorful, non-fishy fish entree. Always cook fish without lemon (it dries the fish out) and add your lemon, if you choose, after its out of the oven. I don't really like salmon nearly as much as I like cod, but you will get a perfectly cooked salmon filet if you cook salmon in a foil "tent" as well. Another good trick with salmon is to salt the skin side pretty thickly first, then put in foil tent skin side down. Salt helps the skin peel off super easily and the salt on bottom of the skin won't transfer up into the salmon causing it to be over-salted. I used to mostly throw away my fish cooking efforts until I learned this foil tent method because my results were so un-appetizing but now I get rave reviews from my family when we have fish. Another perk with the foil tent is its such easy clean-up since your pan doesn't get dirty.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is o.k. to dislike fish. B)
  • Patrick0321
    Patrick0321 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you like salmon you might like this
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/teriyakisalmon_66107
  • justfenix
    justfenix Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Also try Snapper, Swordfish and Ahi. Wildcaught ocean fish tend to be less flaky and texturally are more meaty. You feel like you are eating something with actual substance. To reduce the "fishy" smell and taste, soak the fish in buttermilk for 30-60 minutes prior to cooking. The acidity in the buttermilk will cut the fishyness. My fav fried fish cheat is to use cornbread mix instead of flour. I just dredge the damo fish through the mix and pat it enough to get a light coating then pan fry with coconut oil. You get a liittle swwet a liitle crunch and a really good chew. Hit with some lime juice and you get high protein decdence. (and now I'm hungry).
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    cod is the way to go
  • The1Zenith
    The1Zenith Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've always found that chili powder cuts the fishy taste. Try just steamed salmon with chili powder, garlic, soy sauce, and a little lemon juice. It's low in calories too, which is a serious bonus.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Try this, it will make you look forward to your salmon. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/brown-sugar-spiced-salmon.html
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Definitely try white fish and fresh tuna. You could also try shellfish and crustaceans. If it's fresh or even fresh frozen, it shouldn't have a fishy odor or taste. I love pretty much all seafood but I absolutely hate salmon unless its smoked or raw in sushi.
  • walleyeten
    walleyeten Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Soak it in fresh lemon juice for couple hours, bread it and bake it or use this recipe:

Baked Parmesan Fish

Ingredients:

1/4 cup mayonnaise (low Fat or not)
    2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    4 salmon fillets or a white fish
    1 lemon
    10 crushed butter flavored crackers (I use Ritz)

Directions:

1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2 Combine mayo, cheese, and red pepper; set aside. note: I often add a bit

more red pepper after a small taste test.

3 Lay salmon fillets (skin down) on a foil-lined baking pan. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over each fillet.

4 Spread each fillet evenly with mayo mixture. Cover mayo with cracker crumbs.

5 Bake 8 to 13 minutes (depending on thickness) or until salmon flakes easily

with a fork.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Really just agreeing with several things already said - try cod or mahi mahi, and frozen if you aren't sure how "fresh" the fresh fish is. For the salmon, try adding something spicy like salsa as it helps cut that fatty, fishy taste. I find canned salmon and tuna don't taste that fishy to me, but they smell really fishy! And there's always shrimp if you like it, again frozen is better than iffy fresh.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what is said. I skimmed through and didn't see this suggestion but I find I hate, hate cooked salmon. I love raw salmon or smoked salmon.

I know for someone who doesn't like fish at all this is probably not a great suggestion but an option that even my husband who doesn't like "fishy" fish either goes for is ceviche. Basically fish that is "cooked" in fresh lime and lemon juice. Tomatoes, onions ( optional ), garlic is added and then the fish is allowed to cook for a few hours in the fridge. Depends on the fish how long. It's a recipe for any sort of FRESH fish. Frozen fish is an option as it can be fresher than non frozen as it usually is frozen the day it's caught.

Once done then top with cilatro and you can mix in some mayo ( or not ) and eat with lime chips, as taco or by itself. It's yummy!
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big lover of fish either. I like salmon, tinned and fresh. I like tinned tuna with sweet corn, mayonnaise and pasta. If you make up a lemon sauce so it's nice and creamy, it hides the fishy flavour to fresh fish fillets
  • timmyttt0418
    timmyttt0418 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like to cook teriyaki salmon on the BBQ. All you have to do is put foil down and cook skin side down, then leave it alone until it is done. Really good tasting fish.