Gave blood today

Options
Ok so i gave blood today should i eat a little more calories then i normaly do? Cause since i had that done i seem to be a little more hungry, i dont know maybe its all in my head.:yawn:

Replies

• xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Drink tons of water--thirst can sometimes manifest as hunger, and whenever you lose blood volume you're going to be thirsty since your body's trying to replace the volume. Also, don't go hardcore with any workouts today--give your body a bit of a rest today.

On behalf of all of those who work in transfusion labs--thanks for your donation!!
  • dtraylor
    dtraylor Posts: 32
    Options
    It wouldn't hurt. Treat yourself for doing a good deed, I always do. :o)
    Drink plenty of fluids, some OJ, but not too fast. And like said before, take it easy in your workouts next day or so. If you are an endurance runner or rider, your heart rate will run higher for a few days so slow down a bit until your body replenishes a good bit of your blood.

And thank you for donating. :happy:
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I gave blood yesterday and I must say it is such a great thing to do! I give every chance that I get!

I would eat extra today and drink PLENTY of water and juice. You did just lose blood volume but that sucks alot of your energy too, so the extra calories will help you not to crash completely! I wouldn't do much working out for the next few days other than very light things... I am soo dizzy today at times that I think working out would cause me alot of problems.

Just pay attention to what your body needs and remember you did such a great thing! =)

Between the two of use... we saved 6 lives! That's awesome!!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I gave blood today too! :) I was doing some looking around last night and basically came across the idea to eat a little more if you feel you need to -- one day over isn't going to hurt anything and your body is working to replenish the blood supply. Stay hydrated and don't overdo the exercise!
  • princessangel25
    princessangel25 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also found out you need to drink and eat before you give blood cause i ended up blacking out while they were takeing it. I might just eat a little snack to reward myself.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I also found out you need to drink and eat before you give blood cause i ended up blacking out while they were takeing it. I might just eat a little snack to reward myself.

Yes, definitely! I just realized they didn't ask me that today... they always have in the past. Though it has been a while since I tried to give blood. Eat some protein and iron in the days before (especially if you tend to have low iron!) and drink plenty of water.