feedback requested on my goals!

Options
Here are my stats:
Starting weight December 2014: 165
Current weight: 152
Goal weight:120-225
I'm a 5'5" woman, work a desk job, do strong lifts 5v5 2 or 3 times a week, and go for short walks on rest days.
I've been eating about 1200 to 1300 calories a day, because that is what mfp recommends for my 1 lb a week weight loss. Everyone seems to think that that range is very low, I would just love some feedback. My food diary is open too! Thanks

Replies

• ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I meant goal weight 120 to 125, oops!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yep, I just tested your stats and MFP gave me 1280 net calories for 1lb/week. So that's correct.

That means you burn around 1780, excluding workouts, mind you. So 1280 is a deficit of 28%, which is a bit steep. You may want to consider switching to 0.5lbs/week, which would give you 1530 calories and a deficit of just under 15%, which is a bit easier to sustain. Or, you can customize your goal to somewhere in between.

For what it's worth, the Scooby calculator suggests that your sedentary burn is probably around 1700 calories, and suggests eating 1360 or thereabouts for a 20% deficit or a loss rate of 0.7lbs/week.

Any calculator is just an estimate anyway; your actual burns might be lower or higher. Trial and error will get you there; pick a calorie range where you feel comfortable and not overly hungry, eat at it for 4-6 weeks, and see how fast you're losing. If too slow, adjust your calories downward a bit. If too fast, adjust upward.

Remember to log and eat back some of your exercise calories on top of that, since you may have a desk job but it's unlikely that you're truly sedentary. Lifting weight burns very few calories, and so does walking, so if you want to eat more you can consider adding some more intense cardio to the mix.

• MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have the same goal as you, just my exercise is a bit different. I think it's a great goal! feel free to add me!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i think it is low......but it totally depends how u feel on a day to day basis. i would probably eat back maybe half my exercise calories on days i felt i needed it
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    If I went by what mfp told me for a 1 lb a week loss it is 1200 which technically would be calculated at .9-.8 lb loss but, I was losing 2-3 lbs a week for over a month. I upped it almost 2 weeks ago to 1300. If I am still losing 2 lbs a week in a couple weeks I will up it to 1400. Which would be close to what mfp calculates mY .5 loss a week. It seems like a balancing act for me.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice! I will add more cardio,that should help. I just definitely enjoy lifting more, I'm actually getting some muscle definition! The weight isn't really dropping much now, so I might be plateauing. More cardio and keeping en open mind with regards to my daily calorie allowance are all good things to do. Thanks again
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    0.5% to 1% while "overweight"*
    0.5% when "normal"*

You may be able to eat a bit more if you lengthen your walks. Make sure you get your protein and sleep well!

*Overweight and normal used as proxies for fat %
  • Leighkai76
    Leighkai76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How do you feel eating that many calories? I'm 5'4" with a goal weight of 125 and am a bit more active than you but I find I need closer to 1500 to feel ok. MFP gives me 1200 but I log my exercise calories and usually eat most of them back which gets me around that 1500 mark.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about your calorie goal or your end weight goal? You seem to have your calorie goal for weight loss worked out (currently too low unless you're eating back all of your exercise calories on top of the 1200-1300) but I think your end weight goal is going to end up being too low, too.

You're weight lifting. Muscle is more dense than fat. Unless you are very fine-boned I'm betting by the time you are at a size that looks good you're going to weigh somewhere in the upper 120s to mid-130s. With weight lifting you should focus on an end goal that's not scale based. Body fat percentage or clothing size or even inches are better goals.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    Options
    Ah yes, I have been a bit hungry lately, so I might go to losing just .5 pounds a week. The reason I picked that weight range is because I weighed that about 5 years ago, and have so many cute clothes in the size 4 range. I am pretty small framed so I didn't even look super skinny then. But yes, since I'm weight traini g the actual number on the scale doesn't matter as much. Even now I wear a size 8 or 6, depending on the brand. IME it seems that the smaller you go, the more precise the fit. I fit into my 10 and 8 sizes for a while, and just now finally the 6 sizes are fitting for the most part
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, I have been a bit hungry lately, so I might go to losing just .5 pounds a week. The reason I picked that weight range is because I weighed that about 5 years ago, and have so many cute clothes in the size 4 range. I am pretty small framed so I didn't even look super skinny then. But yes, since I'm weight traini g the actual number on the scale doesn't matter as much. Even now I wear a size 8 or 6, depending on the brand. IME it seems that the smaller you go, the more precise the fit. I fit into my 10 and 8 sizes for a while, and just now finally the 6 sizes are fitting for the most part

I'm an inch shorter than you with a large frame. I'm currently weighing in the mid-130s and wearing 4s and 6s. Before weight lifting, at this weight I'd be in 8s and 10s. I'd have needed to be in the low- to mid-120s to wear 4s. It's definitely not all about the scale. :smile:
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Yep, I make your goal a little less aggressive and eat more. :)
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You say you feel hungry, but are you also lethargic at the gym? If so, bump up to 1350-1400-ish (with adequate protein and fat) and keep working hard--you are smart to lift weights--that is the best way to go. You can't look at the scale only. Every pound of lean muscle you gain metabolizes about 50 calories per day. Said differently if you keep hitting those weights, and keep calories steady, you will get LEANER regardless of your weight (because your added muscle will burn calories, likely fat). Body recomposition is best done gradually. Good luck and it sounds like you are very much on the right track.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    Options
    Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. You've been very helpful!