Embarrased..

Options
I hate hate working out in public. Even something as simple as running outside (even though I don't, I feel like I look like Pheobie off of Friends). How do you get to the mindset of not caring what others think?

Also, if anyone has a terribly embarrassing story about public work outs I would love to hear. May make me feel better. :D

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i feel ya. i honestly run at night just so i see less people. but i live in a small town and everyone u pass wants to chat.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Wear headphones. It's a little hard to focus on what people think of you when you are listening to music.

Oh, and I was at a class and worked out with a fat hole in my pants the entire time. Only reason I noticed is when I looked behind me and saw my reflection on a mirrored wall. Not sure how people I scarred in the process.
  • onehappypickle
    onehappypickle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about impressing anyone else - your workout is for you. If you have a worry about people maybe making fun of you, just shrug it off - you keep working out, you're going to look fabulous, and they're going to be left feeling jealous of you. Try to learn not to give a crap what others think of you; it truly only matters what YOU think of you.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I get how you're feeling but, honestly, think about the last time you saw someone running in your neighborhood or at the park. What did you think? Did you really notice them? What were your thoughts upon seeing them? Were they negative or more than a passing thought?

Most people don't really pay that much attention to what other people are doing. Besides, if they don't know you what does what they think matter anyway?

I run all of the time in my neighborhood. The only comments I've gotten in 4 years of doing it are "You're making me look bad" and "Boy, you're fast" (I'm not, trust me!). Other than that it's waves from people driving by.

This is all you and what's going on inside your head. You can choose to let your fears and insecurities rule you or you can do the things you really want to do. It's your choice. And I don't think embarrassing stories will really help. They'll just give you more things to think about going wrong for you. :grin:
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    On the other side of things... I see people all the time out running with perhaps funky gaits or whatever. I can honestly say I never thought anything of it other than "gee I wish I was out running too". Or if I am out running or riding, I don't think anything at all because I am too busy concentrating on my own workout.

Therefore - don't worry about it. Just go out and run. :)
  • lloftus723
    lloftus723 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    get how you're feeling but, honestly, think about the last time you saw someone running in your neighborhood or at the park. What did you think? Did you really notice them? What were your thoughts upon seeing them? Were they negative or more than a passing thought?

Good point. I guess I don't really notice! Thanks!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    It's just like anything else: the more you do it the more comfortable you will become. Most of us felt the same way when starting out or just dislike being in public period. But, just focus on yourself, mind your own business and everyone else will do the same.
  • jsobole
    jsobole Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I work at a University and I'm often surrounded by tight bodied 20-somethings at our Rec Center. There's no magic way to improve self esteem, just go out and do your thing! Like others have said, it's more in your head than anything else! I can guarantee most people aren't pay you any attention.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    The last time I actually noticed someone, as in actually looked at them while I was running past, was because the woman was wearing a "Blerch" shirt, to which I had to call out a compliment.

I see people running in all kinds of ways and never once do I give more than even a glance at it. If anything I am just happy people are out enjoying the nice weather and getting exercise. Maybe I am a minority but if I am out running it is because I have a workout to accomplish. Other people are just kinda there, and I only pay attention to them enough so that I don't run into them :)

• englishmermaid
    englishmermaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I get how you're feeling but, honestly, think about the last time you saw someone running in your neighborhood or at the park. What did you think? Did you really notice them? What were your thoughts upon seeing them? Were they negative or more than a passing thought?

Most people don't really pay that much attention to what other people are doing. Besides, if they don't know you what does what they think matter anyway?

I run all of the time in my neighborhood. The only comments I've gotten in 4 years of doing it are "You're making me look bad" and "Boy, you're fast" (I'm not, trust me!). Other than that it's waves from people driving by.

This is all you and what's going on inside your head. You can choose to let your fears and insecurities rule you or you can do the things you really want to do. It's your choice. And I don't think embarrassing stories will really help. They'll just give you more things to think about going wrong for you. :grin:

That's a really good point, I see them often but never pay them any mind, couldn't tell you the color of their hair, their size, what they're wearing or anything lol, yet I've always felt the same way as OP
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I once said much the same thing to a friend and his response was, ' What makes you think you are so important?'. meaning why was I being so egotistical to think that me jogging along would draw such interest to others who were just getting on with their own daily business.....
    When I see someone jogging/running, whatever their shape, I think, ' Good for them, they doing well more than me'......so nothing negative, just an accolade really.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jsobole wrote: »
    I work at a University and I'm often surrounded by tight bodied 20-somethings at our Rec Center. There's no magic way to improve self esteem, just go out and do your thing! Like others have said, it's more in your head than anything else! I can guarantee most people aren't pay you any attention.

Exact same here (work at a university/gym is univ. rec center.) Considering that I am literally twice as old as the majority of my fellow gym-goers and then half as old as the next largest group (6 a.m. senior citizen crew) I assume that nobody is paying me any attention at all. I'm really not interesting enough for anybody to get a memorable impression of me while I exercise.

When I see people out running, I don't give them any more thought than when I see a squirrel in the yard or a car driving by. It's really not a big deal.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    lloftus723 wrote: »
    get how you're feeling but, honestly, think about the last time you saw someone running in your neighborhood or at the park. What did you think? Did you really notice them? What were your thoughts upon seeing them? Were they negative or more than a passing thought?

Good point. I guess I don't really notice! Thanks!

If I'm at the gym, I don't notice anything that anyone else is doing... well, other than checking out a can, or two...

If I'm just out, and about in the world, I will think "Awesome for that person. Get it, person... whomever you are."
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above, although I do admit that a couple of times when I've been in a particularly bad head space I have driven to a car park and run somewhere I am less likely to meet people I know!
    As for public embarrassment i have pretty much done it all - fallen over my own feet, walked into a lamp post, been chased by cows, vomited, panic attack, spilt my water so looks like i've wet myself and arrived at the gym in a hyperthermic state and ended up been put in their sauna (in my coat!) to thaw out! And yet i'm still allowed out in public, and perhaps more surprisingly into my gym! Stuff happens, to some of us more than most, but happens to everyone. And the thing is, even if you run like Pheobe, you are out there doing it, and that is whats important!
  • tjcalley
    tjcalley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I took a yoga class this weekend for the first time and got stuck and rolled over off my mat...no one noticed except the friend I went with :)
  • lloftus723
    lloftus723 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Chased by a cow?!? Hahaha how does that happen? Sorry I found that funny. I live in Iowa and have never experienced that. Now I will be on the lookout. I wish I had someone like you to workout with. Sounds like fun!

• vanishingkat4269
    vanishingkat4269 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go early in the A. M. when it's quiet and empty. I also wear headphones and listen to my fave music, no one bothers the person lip syncing
  • onehappypickle
    onehappypickle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also wear headphones and listen to my fave music, no one bothers the person lip syncing

THIS. That's me, too.
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I only notice other cyclist, walkers/runners if they appear to be having a problem. A cyclist with a flat tire or mechanical break, I stop and offer assistance. I came upon a runner once that had twisted her angle, I helped her get to a road and stayed with her until someone she called arrived. The only other time I really notice other people out exercising is if they are with a dog that is not under control and they interfere with me. That does annoy me.