sore today - to work out or not?

Options
yesterday i had a session with my personal trainer and she was really into weights apparently - kettle bells, machines, and free weights. usually we're more yoga/balance/pilates focused and apparently i'm not so strong lol... anywho today i have zumba and my arms and legs ache so much from yesterday, everytime i get up from my desk i hobble a few steps before my legs remember to work again. should i skip zumba tonight to rest, or since it's just cardio go ahead and power thru it?

Replies

• blabrecque_xo
    blabrecque_xo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    power through it - the only workout you'll regret is one that didn't happen :)
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Take some ibuprofen, get a foam roller, and stretch. Sounds like DOMS.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Make sure you warm up first, but definitely do the zumba.
  • Leighkai76
    Leighkai76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Power through it, I usually feel better after.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I find exercising sore muscles-(esp cardio) actually helps with soreness.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    what knt21 said... AND get to know that pain... you will learn to embrace it... a zumba work out is just what the doctor ordered...get the blood flowing... and once you are done the class... find a quiet corner and stretch and flex those muscles... there was a time when I thought " am I going to have to feel this pain forever???" ... the answer is NO... just until you bring your body up to speed... it gets easier... and it gets to the point where you WANT to feel that pain again... don't believe me??? then go ahead... see for yourself :p
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Depends on how bad your DOMS is. I would give yourself a day on the free weights. Anything else is probably fine.
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I think as long as it's just DOMS and not a genuine injury then you're fine to do a workout today. Just make sure your muscles are well warmed up.

You may even get some relief from the sore muscles out of it. I always find that going for a run on the day after leg day loosens me up a bit.
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll go do it and feel awesome about it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll go do it and feel awesome about it!

Have a really loooooooooong stretch after Zumba
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I find exercising sore muscles-(esp cardio) actually helps with soreness.

I agree with this. I have doms today too, from my workout on Monday. I am soooo freaking sore I don't even know how I will manage a squat today, but I will push through and do it. I always feel better once I get into the workout.
  • Chikika
    Chikika Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hair of the dog I say!
  • englishmermaid
    englishmermaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Definitely do it, my arms are hurting today after weights, so I did them again today lol
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    It's Zumba, so just do it. I find cardio helps with my DOMS. Now if it was a lifting day, that might be different, but even then I'd do what I could as long as I knew I wasn't overtraining.
  • kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am always less sore after doing some exercise when I am sore
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Low impact cardio is usually fine even if your muscles are sore. If you were doing more strength training, not so great. Zumba might be a lot of movement, but it's not a ton of jumping or putting a lot of physical strain on your muscles—thus preventing healing.

So go for it! You'll get into it and after a few minutes your muscles will actually feel better for it.
  • tlee5001
    tlee5001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies and gents, I am new to chatting on this site/ app. I am in need of some motivation and support. I want to get better.
    I was in a car accident in 2007 and again in January. The first one was a roll over. It caused me a lot of irritation in my body. I stopped working the 3 jobs I was holding, quit drill team, and just went completely down hill.

The second car accident (4 months ago) left me with a broken collar bone and wrist. I also sprained my foot and leg. Its been long enough that I can start physical therapy. I met with a Physiatrist yesterday. He diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia. He said there is a lot of stigma behind that diagnosis. Like depression or anxiety. Some seem to think, it's all in your head.

I hope I don't get any eyes rolling at me. One characteristic of the disease is, it creates long term syptoms. So in my case, 8 years of syptoms was a dead give away for the doctor to confidently diagnose me. With or with out the car accident, I have been living with pain I should be cautious around. The key to this disease, is staying active. Over-dooing it is a no no! My doctor is starting me on 10 minute walks for a week to a month, then I will increase my excercise. If I do over do it, I could be down for 2-3 days, which is more time than those with out Fibromyalgia. Now maybe it makes a little sense to someone who's skeptical.

I'm really frusterated. I used to Snowboard and Dance. I have a 4 year old. My partner is amazing. I want to be able to have energy for them. I want to have a life... I'm only 24.

Now that I'm done with my pity party, does anyone want to help me change my perspective a little?