Protein Low – Am I Gonna Die?!

Options
2»

Replies

• kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    jukyu wrote: »
    Too much or too little won't hinder your progress. Keeping it on the higher side will keep your diet more satiating and minimize muscle loss, joejccva71's rules-of-thumb estimates are good.

I've heard that, too, about protein being more satiating. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for me... I think it makes me hungrier LoL. I still tend to fill up easily, then get hungry a couple hours later >chronic snacker<
  • kmsoucy457
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    You won't die from low protein, but that doesn't mean it is optimal. The ~1 g/lb LBM standard for training individuals is well researched and well documented, and has been for decades. Pick a random thread from the "success" section and see what they have to say about protein.

Yes, the "Success" section is what got me thinking i was too low in the first place!
  • kmsoucy457
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When I could not hit my protein targets I risked hair loss and my nails got brittle. So there might be unintended consequences if you aren't getting enough protein. If you have been eating like this for a while and have not experienced these side-effects, you are likely fine.

It doesn't matter which part of the day you eat your protein. Your body is pretty flexible that way.

Wow, those are awful side effects. I haven't experienced anything like that in the past; I actually started eating MORE protein about two weeks ago upon joining MFP, seeing the macro suggestions, and doing a little research on my own - I think about 5-10g more, but can't be certain as I was not tracking then.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Morning,
    I just looked at your diary and to be honest I think you eat too much sugar and yes I know its hard because they add that stuff to everything and we all have our moments. If your really wanting to up your protein I would remove your morning sugar rush and replace it with "Eggs" if your not into protein drinks "smoothies". But, I don't see your protein being too low, although Im not a dietician and Im not you.

Just my thought !
  • kmsoucy457
    Options
    Runngurl43 wrote: »
    Morning,
    I just looked at your diary and to be honest I think you eat too much sugar and yes I know its hard because they add that stuff to everything and we all have our moments. If your really wanting to up your protein I would remove your morning sugar rush and replace it with "Eggs" if your not into protein drinks "smoothies". But, I don't see your protein being too low, although Im not a dietician and Im not you.

Just my thought !

I didn't ask about sugar, but since you did here's the long answer :) :
    You're right. I have been eating more sugar in the last month. That and bread/baked goods are my favorite! After some digestive issues caused me to go on an elimination diet, i discovered that i have a gluten sensitivity. So for about 7 weeks now, no bread; sweets are the only thing that i both crave and can let myself eat, so there has been a little more indulging.
    Also I've never had a problem with blood sugar, and most of my sugar intake does come from natural sources, so have accompanying nutrients. My normal extras, 1 tsp of white chocolate sauce in my morning coffee (=1/3 of a serving), 1 tbs of maple syrup in my oats (=1/4 of a serving), gluten free homemade snack bars; are so i can maintain willpower and stay on the weight loss wagon, i.e. not eat a doughnut at work and spend a half hour on the porcelain throne. God in heaven do i want a doughnut right now.
    I do admit that sugar is my demon, and am in the process of curbing it.

I have to make my breakfast in advance for grab-n-go purposes. Thus no eggs. I know there are ways to do it, and have tried several of them, but i just cannot deal with the sulfurous odor of pre-cooked eggs. Any pre-make breakfasts must go in the fridge, not the freezer, due to storage difficulties. Definitely open to suggestions! I've even contemplated going "Rocky" style and putting raw eggs in the smoothie, but the voice of my mother in the back of my head (food poisoning etc etc) has always stopped me.

But now that we've combined sugar and protein - any suggestions for a non-sweetened protein powder?
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    Morning,

Just my thought !

You're right. I have been eating more sugar in the last month. That and bread/baked goods are my favorite! After some digestive issues caused me to go on an elimination diet, i discovered that i have a gluten sensitivity. So for about 7 weeks now, no bread; sweets are the only thing that i both crave and can let myself eat, so there has been a little more indulging.
    Also I've never had a problem with blood sugar, and most of my sugar intake does come from natural sources, so have accompanying nutrients. My normal extras, 1 tsp of white chocolate sauce in my morning coffee (=1/3 of a serving), 1 tbs of maple syrup in my oats (=1/4 of a serving), gluten free homemade snack bars; are so i can maintain willpower and stay on the weight loss wagon, i.e. not eat a doughnut at work and spend a half hour on the porcelain throne. God in heaven do i want a doughnut right now.

I have to make my breakfast in advance for grab-n-go purposes. Thus no eggs. I know there are ways to do it, and have tried several of them, but i just cannot deal with the sulfurous odor of pre-cooked eggs. Any pre-make breakfasts must go in the fridge, not the freezer, due to storage difficulties. Definitely open to suggestions! I've even contemplated going "Rocky" style and putting raw eggs in the smoothie, but the voice of my mother in the back of my head (food poisoning etc etc) has always stopped me.

But now that we've combined sugar and protein - any suggestions for a non-sweetened protein powder?

Please dont think I was bad mouthing your sugar intake (I wasn't) like I said we all have our moments (reasons)for eating too much sugar and clearly you asked about protein. I use Jay Robb Whey Isolate protein powder it uses stevia 2grams / 110 Calories per scoop. I can not digest to much milk and Im with you on the egg "Raw" not happening. I really don't see your protein being all that bad (low), maybe you can up you protein at lunch time if that's easier than breakfast.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    We are all going to die...
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I have had excellent results by having a protein shake right before my workout. It's worth a try.
  • kmsoucy457
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    Morning,

Just my thought !

Please dont think I was bad mouthing your sugar intake (I wasn't) like I said we all have our moments (reasons)for eating too much sugar and clearly you asked about protein. I use Jay Robb Whey Isolate protein powder it uses stevia 2grams / 110 Calories per scoop. I can not digest to much milk and Im with you on the egg "Raw" not happening. I really don't see your protein being all that bad (low), maybe you can up you protein at lunch time if that's easier than breakfast.

No you're definitely right about the sugar though, thanks for letting me rant. I'm still not sold on stevia yet, even though it's just an innocuous leaf, but i'll look into that brand for sure.
  • kmsoucy457
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    We are all going to die...

Neveeeeeeeeeeer