Started gaining instead of losing

Options
So since last June/July I've lost around 30lbs. There have been a few vacations where I put on a few pounds & took a while to lose them. But other than that I've stuck to eating healthy (1,310 cals) & going to the gym 4-5 nights a week.
The last two weeks the only changes I've made are increasing the incline on the treadmill, doing more weights & drinking more water (I would only drink 8-16oz a day.. Now up to around 70oz)
In those two weeks I've put on around 4lbs!
I don't feel like I've been doing enough weight training for it to be muscle gain?
I'm 24, 5'8 & as of this morning 179.2
Any tips, advice & new friends welcome :)

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It sounds like water retention from the increase in exercise to me. Keep drinking plenty of water and give it another week or two to work itself out.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    If you just increased the amount of strength training you're doing, it's probably water retention.
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You have increased your previous level of water intake by approximately 4 pounds per day, every day for the last two weeks. (Est. 60oz increase, which is almost half a gallon, which is approx. 4 pounds). Although much of that additional 56 pounds of water (4 pounds times 14 days) undoubtedly exited your body one way or another, I think that it would be a fair assumption that you retained some of it as water weight. I agree with diannethegeek -- give it time to work itself out (and/or stop drinking so much water. You don't really need 8 glasses a day -- that is a myth).
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Water weight- don't worry! :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating the same calorie number the entire time since you started your weight loss? As you get smaller, your body needs fewer calories. You may need to drop your calorie goal a bit now that you're 30 pounds lighter than you were.
  • schweppeT
    schweppeT Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What I like to do from time to time when I feel like all my efforts that I am putting forward are not working I will go back and review by food journal and find days that I have finished under your calories and felt successful. I would then complete a self-check and see if my foods that I am selecting today are as healthy as they were in the past. I have lost 27 lbs since August 2014 and I am now working on my next 23 lbs that I would like to take off by August of this year.

Good luck to you :)
  • Hollywoodjess
    Hollywoodjess Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    Going to stick with the water & hopfully the scales will show something a little more positive soon :)