Beer on the weekend question

Options
So, I love my beer on the weekend...Ill probably have 5-6 beers over the course of the weekend. Is this sabotaging my diet?? Is this the reason why my beast of a belly wont shrink?? I guess Im looking for a little tough love here...even though I know exactly what you guys are going to say :happy: :happy:

Replies

• lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It's not sabotaging your diet unless you're going over on calories. Of course, that doesn't mean it's a healthy practice.

Edit: Though if the 5-6 beers are spread out over 3 days, then it very well may be healthy. I was assuming you meant binge drinking.
  • trying4real
    trying4real Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    mmmm....beer..
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Really depends on your calories balance for the rest of the week. If it is putting you into a surplus, then yes. If not, then no.

I'm not going to quit good beer!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It may make things go a bit slower, but whatevs...I have to have my suds...it's just a part of good livin'. I also make sure I get a ton of nutrition and I workout like a beast...also a part of good livin'. I definitely earn my weekend suds.
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    No, Im not a binge drinker at all...I just am a total beer snob. Love my IPA's!!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not 'light' beer you're fine.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'll drink beer on the weekends, if it fits into my macros. Sometimes, even if it doesn't! /:D
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not 'light' beer you're fine.

Ha.

I have beer almost every day.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I drink beer often and it hasn't stopped me from losing weight. I just try not to go over on food when I'm drinking beer (i.e. I don't cave in to munchies-I eat a regular meal).
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If its good quality beer, like you said IPAs and you make it fit in your goals. Whats the problem?

maybe try switching it up with a stout, or bock?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I have beer every single day. Good beer. You just have to account for the calories like anything else.
  • AlistairBernardNormal
    AlistairBernardNormal Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I can’t tell you guys how awesome this thread is. I am very publicly trying to get healthier – my friends and family all know and are very supportive, so I am almost ashamed of having a few beers every now and then. It is an amazing feeling to know that I am not alone.

Thanks, everyone, for making this unyielding beer snob’s day!
  • andrewjuu
    andrewjuu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    About the only thing better than beer is chicken & beer.....and therein lies the problem. I find I have to limit my food intake on the days when I expect to drink a beer or two. I'm also a beer snob & man those microbrew calories add up fast. But by limiting the food i eat that day (proper planning in advance), I can usually have my cake & eat it too, in a manner of speaking :drinker:
  • thadius65
    thadius65 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    IPA's go under "SNACKS" and fit well within my diet. I dropped 71lbs from Jan-May and I did not give up my craft beer. This weekend I had Goose Island IPA and it was only 170calories per "serving". .... I had a few.

I always count them as part of my overal daily goal and has worked fine. Enjoy!
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Haha you guys are awesome!! I had no idea there was so many fellow beer snobs on MFP!! I will follow your guys' advice and try to be a little more thoughtful on the weekends so I dont have to give up anything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's not sabotaging your diet unless you're going over on calories. Of course, that doesn't mean it's a healthy practice.

Edit: Though if the 5-6 beers are spread out over 3 days, then it very well may be healthy. I was assuming you meant binge drinking.

Beer does for my liver what running does for my heart :drinker:
  • kookanddra
    kookanddra Posts: 92
    Options
    I have beer every single day. Good beer. You just have to account for the calories like anything else.

This!! I love my beer and won't give it up. :drinker:
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Drink all the beer you want as long as you record it and it fits within your macros.

:drinker:
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Just to point out - there is a group for beer lovers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/11910-craft-beer-and-home-brewing