Do you all stick to one form of exercise or shake it up?

Options
Hey everyone!!

I have a question. I have been working out regularly for the last month or so. I have been either doing the elliptical or walking.
I am considering starting C2K today. I started it a while ago but only finished week 1. Every other day I do strength training with my kettles or the weight machine in our garage.

Do you guys stick to the same kind of exercise or mix it up? Since I have been working out I find that I have more stamina to go longer while exercising. Considering adding a zumba class in once or twice a week..

Maggie

Replies

• MartianAmbassador
    Options
    At first I was doing a routine over and over, but started mixing it up and found it to keep my interest more and work on the same areas, but also working them differently so that I didn't feel sore or overworked. Hope that helps.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Since I started working out about 5 months ago, I switched up my routine/fitness challenge every month so far. Helps to keep things interesting and keeps me from getting too comfortable in my workouts.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I lift Monday, Wednesday, Friday and do c25k Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday/Sunday (either or, not both).
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I mix it up monthly to keep my body guessing. Of course there are daily and weekly chores that I always have to do as well.
  • Debby0904
    Debby0904 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You will get more stamina if you just do the same thing over and over and also burn fewer calories in addition to seeing less gains being made in your body. So, if you are not setting out to be a runner (C25K is only 3 days per week) or a cyclist etc, change it up and keep your body guessing.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I get bored very easily so I need the variety. I run 4 times a week but also just finished Insanity and started Les Mills Combat yesterday. I like doing a different workout every day, it keeps me interested and excited to workout instead of doing the exact same thing every time I workout. I would have given up a long time ago.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I try and change my focus 2 - 3x per year. Currently I am training for a long run in Sept. In the past I have focused on Martial arts, weight training, yoga, cycling & I tried a session of gymnastics.

I highly recommend trying many things and not getting stuck committed to a single activity. Life is too short and there are too many fun things to try! I think of it like a buffet. Try a little of this then a little of that. Something tastes good, have a couple of portions. Oh! that looks like fun, lets give it a go for a while! :-)
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I do get stuck in my routine. Mostly elliptical, with weights 1-3 times a week (and stuck in the same weights routine too). I know you SHOULD shake it up, I just get comfortable with my consistency. I have been trying to add some stationary bike, and walking (occasional jogging *Ü*). I get in a little tennis if I can find a partner (I have several TABLE tennis partners, not a huge workout, but ping pong is still active, I do actually break a sweat sometimes). A MFP friend actually Hula Hoops as a workout, and I enjoyed that when I was younger so I picked up one and have been adding a bit of that to my days as well.

... but mainly, I'm just elliptical-ling away as I watch tv/dvds (I try NOT to watch anything except when working out).
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I do a variety or else I would get VERY bored. I do walk my dog everyday because she needs the exercise, but we vary our route. I also do Just Dance and My Fitness Coach (I like the yoga on this) on the Wii, and I have just purchased a treadmill for my basement where I can watch Netflix and get a relaxing walk on.
  • BunnieMommie
    BunnieMommie Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I mix things up. Makes my body wonder what we are doing now. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Mine vary dependent on my fitness goals. Since Nov/Dec I've largely been focused on strength gains and being able to run a 5K. I've made huge strides in both regards, but I got to the point with my strength workouts that I couldn't run anymore because my legs were shot to **** with all of the weight and all of the squatting and dead lifting.

I've done some reassessment the last few weeks and have started a new program that leaves me a little fresher so I can run again. I'm also signed up for a Goruck and starting to train for that this week...so now I'll be doing more military style PT along with my strength training and jogging...and definitely get in a good ruck-out once per week. As I get nearer the event, I'll have to pull back on my lifting and focus a lot more on that boot camp style PT and endurance stuff.

Just a winded way of saying that my exercise depends on my fitness goals and/or if I'm training for a specific event.
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I do whatever works for me to get to my calorie goals. In an ideal world, I burn 7-10k calories/week, although the last two were about half of that. I swim a lot, but I also use the elliptical, hike, go to water aerobics, etc. I had been running, but was just diagnosed with arthritis in my knees so I am taking a break from that while I evaluate where I am and what I really can be doing. I lift weights occasionally, but I am not consistent, do floor exercises and some yoga. Some weeks I am very consistent, but if I find myself having an attitude issue about my exercise, I change it up. I have lost 67 pounds so far. I could probably do it faster if I followed a better workout procedure, but I can do what I am doing for the rest of my life, and I want this to be a lifestyle change, not a diet, so I am satisfied with my progress.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I do the same line of workout dvds (Walk Away The Pounds) but I dont do the same dvd each day. I'll do the 1 mile one day, then the 3 mile, or the 2 mile... etc
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I think I will continue to shake things up.

I guess it's a good thing that I WANT to do different things (instead of just wishing I were doing anything).

Maggie