Lifting weights calorie burn

Options
I have no idea how many calories I burn lifting weights, I don't have a Fitbit or whatever and log my cardio calories according to the treadmill and bike etc, but weights I have no idea. Is there a site to enter stats info for an average?

Replies

• Teenafit130
    Teenafit130 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try this calculator, it's not going to be super accurate, but at least you'll have a number to have and go off of.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you log strength training under cardiovascular in MFP you will get a very rough guesstimate.

There are sooooo many factors with strength training (how much do you lift, how much do you rest). A FitBit, a HRM.....they are all just guesses.

Your treadmill and bike are pretty much guessing too. If you are entering lots of data (gender, height, weight, age)...the guesses get better. A machine still is using an average for exertion level.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Or you can use the science behind it: .00032 Calories per foot per pound. Since most lifts are a two foot travel, that makes it .00064 Calories per pound per rep. This is the bottom end. You will burn more than this for various reasons, but it just isn't much.