Exercise + Obesity = Foot Pain?

Options
stitchndomo
stitchndomo Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I just started going to the gym and my feet are not happy about it. I have flat feet and have read a lot about orthotic inserts and getting the right shoe. I also stretch before and after exercise (trying to elongate the calf muacle). However, the pain in my heel and achilles is really keeping me from giving my all while working out. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if it went away with weight loss. Any tips?

Replies

• fcitraro
    fcitraro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you're going through ... I'd suggest simply walking until you lose weight and/or your foot strengthens. Also try low impact cardio (cycling, rowing, swimming) if you can't wait to lose weight by simply walking.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics maybe? simple walking definately
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for a good pair of shoes. I had a similar issue that went away after a new pair of motion control shoes.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    One neat trick you could do is take a canned food you don't want and take the label off. Then roll your foot on that back and forth. You'll feel a good kind of pain.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I realized that my knees don't like me doing high impact stuff yet. Right now I am doing light impact workouts so that I can lose weight so it is easier on my knees.
  • Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Water areobics helped me. Relief not to have to wake up with my feet killing me. Have at least 1 exercise you can do when your feet hurt. Yoga, weights...run in the pool.
    I stopped wearing anything but running shoes and birkenstock, ever, and that helped.
    See a podiatrist and ask about orthotics.
  • Losing2Fast2Furious
    Losing2Fast2Furious Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have this issue. Even cycling can hurt sometimes when putting the pressure on my foot. I'm going to have to start swimming.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    rcl1221 wrote: »
    I have this issue. Even cycling can hurt sometimes when putting the pressure on my foot. I'm going to have to start swimming.

I've read that foot pain can really be an issue with the calf muscles. Cycling uses a lot of calf muscles. Do lots of calf stretching too.

Stretch, ice, and ibuprofen (after exercise) can help. Someone suggested rolling a can or a ball under the foot too, that works.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What are you currently doing at the gym? Weight loss will come mainly from changing your diet, exercise is for improving overall health and fitness, and there is no single erxecise that is best for all people. So, if your current routine is causing pain, it is nto right for you.
    If you are for example using a treadmill, or an elliptical, and this hurts, then just stop. Try cycling instead, or simply walk. If these hurt too, then use the gym only for resistance training, and try swimming or aqua aerobics. Avoid anything that needs you to jump, hop, run etc. Try things like yoga, pilates, other floor work classes.
    And the minute somethign hurts and feels like a tendon or joint, stop. This is not the type of pain you push through, is it the pain that should make you change what you are doing.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    @stitchndomo I know EXACTLY what you are going through. The can thing that @ClubSilencio suggested helps me a LOT. Although it's not very fast paced, I would recommend yoga. I do multiple stretches that really isolate the calf muscles.
    As far as exercises go, I'm with everyone else. Walking, Swimming, Aqua Aerobics, Yoga and floor work classes. Avoid things that make you jump. I have this problem when doing 30 Day Shred(jumping jacks, jump rope really bring the pain for me). So when she does jumping parts, I do the butt kicks or punches to avoid jumping around.

I've lost a bit of weight but my calves were a problem even when I was at my goal weight in high school. I doubt it will go away completely, it just becomes less of a problem.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I like the following from above.
    The can rolling.
    Ibuprofen

People who have suggested looking at the type of exercise you are doing. When you are in the gym go and pick up a weight of the amount you intend to lose or even half that amount. You will get an idea of the extra pressure being placed on your feet. I have flat feet, but never had the problem you are talking about so pick an exercise that isnt so heavy on your feet such as walking, yoga or in water.

You can also try the bike or the rower which arent weight bearing and less punishing on the feet. It would then just be a question of patience, slowly losing the weight and building up your fitness. I hadnt read it was to do with calf muscles, but then I havent suffered it. Agree with what agge posted about feeling the pain and know when to stop, its common sense to sense the pain from your body and if you are unsure then never push through, but go with being cautious and patient.
  • gibbsgirl76693
    gibbsgirl76693 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    One neat trick you could do is take a canned food you don't want and take the label off. Then roll your foot on that back and forth. You'll feel a good kind of pain.

Or fill an old water bottle about 3/4 way full, freeze it, and use that to roll your foot on. The can sounds like a good idea too! I have plantar fasciitis in my left foot, so any kind of massage is heavenly. Painful but heavenly. :D

• Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    rcl1221 wrote: »

I've read that foot pain can really be an issue with the calf muscles. Cycling uses a lot of calf muscles. Do lots of calf stretching too.

Stretch, ice, and ibuprofen (after exercise) can help. Someone suggested rolling a can or a ball under the foot too, that works.

I had that but for exercise I was doing Zumba. I'd wake up with nasty pain in my heels, my legs felt stiff and sort of spring loaded. Then when I'd try to exercise it'd really hurt to flex my feet. I ended up using these stretches athletico.com/2012/05/09/plantar-fasciitis-solutions/ and I don't get them anymore (thankfully).
  • stitchndomo
    stitchndomo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips everyone! I typically do a walk/jog (mostly walk) routine on the treadmill at the gym. I was getting to a point where I was able to do more jogging but then my feet started hurting. I was trying to push through it because I felt like I was getting enough out of walking but I'll discontinue that and let the pain subside before picking it back up again. Rolling a can under my foot now and have a water bottle freezing up for later this evening. Wishing you all the best!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips everyone! I typically do a walk/jog (mostly walk) routine on the treadmill at the gym. I was getting to a point where I was able to do more jogging but then my feet started hurting. I was trying to push through it because I felt like I was getting enough out of walking but I'll discontinue that and let the pain subside before picking it back up again. Rolling a can under my foot now and have a water bottle freezing up for later this evening. Wishing you all the best!

If you started having pain on this routine, stop also the walking for a while and do nothing on the treadmill. If you need to do your workout at the gym, try cucling as a cardio for a while. Obviously not if this too hurts. It is better to rest for a few days when the pain starts, than end up needing a loooon break.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Foot pain is the worst. I find snug fitting socks help.

www.kathysmith.com/home-recent-posts/the-simple-steps-to-protect-your-feet-for-life