Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Oreo misleading nutrition

2»

Replies

• trailerparkholyspirit
    trailerparkholyspirit Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2015
    heres what they sent back:
    Thank you for visiting http://www.snackworks.com/.

Calories are determined by the amount of carbohydrate, fat and protein in each ingredient and the amount of that ingredient in the product.
    There are several reasons why two identical products may have different caloric content:

1. Identical products may have slightly different ingredients.
    2. The products might have the same ingredient but in different amounts.
    3. Similar food products often do not have exactly the same serving size. For example, a serving of one product might weigh more than a serving of another product.
    4. Calorie values on labels are rounded numbers. Rounding calorie values for the label can often result in a difference of 5 or 10 calories.

I am sorry you find the information on our labels misleading. All of our label information is determined with great care and with much attention given to very detailed government regulations. We do value your comments and I will ensure that they are passed on to our Marketing department.

If you haven't done so already, please add our site to your favorites and visit us again soon!

Consumer Services
    Mondelez International

no free oreos for me. excuse me while i go cry and soothe my pain with more oreos
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Oh never mind, your post says same size cookie

Same physical size doesn't mean same composition.

If we assume the 3.4g is a typo of 34g, then the ratio of grams explains the calorie difference.

160 calories * 57/34 -> 270 calories
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Mmmm, I've been craving Oreos for a solid month!!
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    The top one is 2 oz for total package of 6 cookies. The bottom is total 11.3 oz that when divided by 9 servings, gives us 1.25 oz for each serving. If multiply by 2 for 6 cookies, you get 2.5 oz so that means the calories for the bottom will be slightly higher. This suggests the top one has either different amounts of ingredients in the filling or crust or simply it is smaller size. The label isn't misleading, the cookies are not exactly similar.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    This is why you are encouraged to WEIGH foods and not measure them by cups/spoons/items. If you assume that 1 cookie is 1 cookie (or bun or whatever else) you may be eating way more than you think - which many people do. Even for uniform items such as bread slices there can be a variance of quite a few calories even in one loaf (ie. end piece vs middle piece) it may not seem significant but when you get close to your goal weight 100 calories over a day can make the difference between losing your 1 pound that month and not losing it.