Hungry ALL THE TIME!

I want to lose about 10 lbs, I am working out vigorously 4x per week but I cannot for the life of me sustain any diet improvement for more than a week. Even in those days when I eat really clean, I eat too much for weight loss yet still feel deprived. I am prone to binge eating, I have read every diet book on the market since age 13, have successfully lost 40 pounds, then gained back these 10 (and, believe me, they show- went from size 2 to size 8) and have been stalled here for over 2 yrs now. I am positive I cannot lose any weight with such unhealthy eating habits (namely grazing, sugary snacks, starches). I used to need just 3 days of low-carb, clean eating to get my head in the game, but now it is just not working and it drains my energy.
I know 10 lbs is not a big deal, it is just that I know I am not at my best, I feel i am cheating on myself, letting myself down by eating so poorly.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Less cardio? Not that working out is bad. How much are you doing exactly?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    No, you just need to eat less calories. Eat foods that fill you up, like bananas, avocadoes, nuts, and meat. Figure out the day before what you're going to eat and how many calories it will be. Has not MFP recommended a caloric intake for you?
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    I know personally when I first started counting calories I was really really hungry all the time too. Then it got less and less and now I'm fine on very little food during the day. I think it will start to subside eventually. Some things I do are pre make my meals and snacks and log them so when I'm hungry I can grab and go without seeing everything I could be eating in my cupboards. Also, all the 'junk' foods in my house are 2 stories below where I rest in the evenings. I'm craving a piece of chocolate? Not enough to climb 4 flights of stairs!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    What if instead of low carb, you tried more high-volume style eating? If you stick with mostly low calorie density foods, you can eat a lot of food without going over your calorie limit. If you really want some comfort food, mix it half and half with non-starchy veg to lower the calories drastically. I like vegan mac and cheese, and it's actually really good with an equal amount of steamed broccoli mixed in.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    What if instead of low carb, you tried more high-volume style eating? If you stick with mostly low calorie density foods, you can eat a lot of food without going over your calorie limit. If you really want some comfort food, mix it half and half with non-starchy veg to lower the calories drastically. I like vegan mac and cheese, and it's actually really good with an equal amount of steamed broccoli mixed in.

This is what I do. My dinner was 269 calories tonight and it was really big. Double meat, lots of veg.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    I know personally when I first started counting calories I was really really hungry all the time too. Then it got less and less and now I'm fine on very little food during the day. I think it will start to subside eventually. Some things I do are pre make my meals and snacks and log them so when I'm hungry I can grab and go without seeing everything I could be eating in my cupboards. Also, all the 'junk' foods in my house are 2 stories below where I rest in the evenings. I'm craving a piece of chocolate? Not enough to climb 4 flights of stairs!

That's what helps me every time. It takes me 20 minutes to walk off only 73 calories, and encourages me NOT to eat junk.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Eat at a small deficit. If you cut just 200 calories per day it's almost 1/2 pound a week and barely noticeable as far as feeling like you're eating less.