So annoyed - sick days

Options
I have had a bad cold for eight days now. Not a little but really bad. I am a SAHM so taking time off is impossible. I have been feeling like crap for so long I am just endlessly annoyed.

Now my lungs hurt, cough is starting. I have gone without exercise for 9 days. I miss it so much!

I am signed up for a 5K in 2.5 weeks. I just want to feel good again and not count hours till kids' bedtime 14hours a day.

Stupid cold!!!!!

Please tell me I won't start over with strength. How much training can I miss to lose muscle?
This will be a setback for my running :(

Replies

• laceyjjj
    laceyjjj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I very rarely get sick but am suffering from a bad cold I caught at the office. I am a big snot ball and so scared of breaking the great momentum I had the past few weeks. I don't know the answer to your question, but just wanted you to know you're not alone!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I just read an article about this and forgot whether it was Yahoo Health or Greatist. Running and cardio type was faster than strength training but I think the shortest time they saw decreases was 2 weeks. Start back as soon as you can but take it a bit easier until you feel better. Good luck
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Two weeks I could do mayb
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I just read an article about this and forgot whether it was Yahoo Health or Greatist. Running and cardio type was faster than strength training but I think the shortest time they saw decreases was 2 weeks. Start back as soon as you can but take it a bit easier until you feel better. Good luck

two weeks would be awesome. I might be able to go back after the weekend.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    sengalissa wrote: »
    I have had a bad cold for eight days now. Not a little but really bad. I am a SAHM so taking time off is impossible. I have been feeling like crap for so long I am just endlessly annoyed.

Now my lungs hurt, cough is starting. I have gone without exercise for 9 days. I miss it so much!

I am signed up for a 5K in 2.5 weeks. I just want to feel good again and not count hours till kids' bedtime 14hours a day.

Stupid cold!!!!!

Please tell me I won't start over with strength. How much training can I miss to lose muscle?
    This will be a setback for my running :(

I'm in a similar boat! Been sick since Friday, kicked the fever today but still feel like crap. Gonna head to the gym, but if I need to leave I'm allowing myself. Not pushing it when my body is telling me it needs to heal.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's what I have done. Run anyway! I use a neti pot and drain the crap out of my head. If I'm on my elliptical or treadmill, I keep Kleenex handy. (You'll need it! ) It's gross and I hate working out when sick, but I do it anyway. One of my "Pals" here recommended it to me. I worked through it, and felt better. Something about getting your sweat on causes your body to release all the gunk in your sinuses. It really does feel better to continue to work out. I use my C25K app on my treadmill when it's snowing.... and it's always snowing, but it makes me feel so much better. Work through it. Also, if it really has lasted that long, then consult a Dr. It may actually be an infection or allergies.