From fat to lean (photos included)

Options
Am 23 years old and 5' 6. I started at 187 pounds with around 40% body fat (I got weighed, professionally scanned and measured etc.) I eventually began controlling my portion sizes, drinking more water, meditating (which reduced my stress by a long shot), and ate closer to nature. Some people may think, "Closer to nature? But it's calories in vs calories out that matter." Yes, calorie reduction can indeed lead to weight loss but the healthier they are, the better. Not only will you get the nutrients you need but you'll feel more energized and healthy in general, and also a better immune system (I very rarely get sick now). Of course it's fine to have desserts and junk here and there but if that's ALL you eat, getting in shape will be harder to achieve. Anyways, not only did I eat healthier with better portion control but I began resistance training (squats, lifting weights, using weight machines at gyms, etc). It's a benefit because resistance training helps build muscle and muscle is a natural fat burner even when inactive. It's been over a year (but under 2) and I've lost over 60 pounds and nearly half of my body fat (I got a second professional scan). I stopped focusing on the scale and now I just measure myself. I plan to get a couple of scans each year to see how well I'm maintaining my current body fat %. Point being is to eat healthy at least a good amount of the time, to exercise, measure, and get body fat checked. It's definitely better than just focusing on the scale numbers. When those new clothes fit and your body is more firm, that's when you pat yourself on the back regardless of how much/little weight you lost. Once again, I didn't count a single calorie.
296gkg5.jpg

Ps- the reason I cropped my face out of each pic is because I'm a bit private with pics, mostly due to my bad acne. Yes, I'm prone to acne (am starting to think my case is genetic). Am currently using acne treatment and hoping for the best.

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic, great job!
  • Yotel129
    Yotel129 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow you look really good! Well done!
  • prinscharon
    prinscharon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow you look amazing ! Excellent Job well done
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Your waist is so leeeetle!! Good job!
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    wows you look great - I want your waist!
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You look amazing
  • dalem48
    dalem48 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You look great!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Great job!

In terms of acne, I used to have atrocious skin. I used harsh treatments, cream after cream, ate "clean" (to the point of obsession). Acne never got better. It had seriously only got better since relaxing my approach to diet and getting rid of all my negative food associations.
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Great job!

In terms of acne, I used to have atrocious skin. I used harsh treatments, cream after cream, ate "clean" (to the point of obsession). Acne never got better. It had seriously only got better since relaxing my approach to diet and getting rid of all my negative food associations.
    Congrats! I definitely can relate to bad acne and I eat healthy as well (which is how I got in shape). No progress though lol. I'm considering settling for something high quality and pricey if nothing else works.

• chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I admire your dedication, and you look amazing. Great job!!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You look great OP.

Per your acne, I have had it pretty bad as well. I would highly recommend picking up a Enzymatic exfoliation product. I tried it all growing up...The problem was most products don't actually fix the issue so you have to continue using it. They are pricey, but they will work.
  • cds_momto3
    cds_momto3 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Congrats, you look great!!
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone and good luck to you all (who are still in the journey). You all have potential. Believe me, I was borderline obese and thought nothing would work. Turns out I wasn't as motivated nor trying hard as I should have been. Also, to you pregnant or post-pregnant ladies, you can do it as well. I'm about to head to college but when I return tonight I will post pics of my mother who is over 50 years old and in shape from basically doing the same thing. She's a nutritionist by the way.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Great job on getting in shape!
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You're looking awesome! Congrats! I feel your pain on the acne. I have had an acne problem my whole life too. I'm a 33 year old woman and still have the face of a 14 year old boy :P All I can say is I'm glad my body matches the face age again, lol. I've actually been part of studies, including for some of the things that are now seen as the go-to for acne problems. My data is always thrown out cause I'm the outlyer nothing ever works on...

However, it has gotten a little bit better with my healthier (more balanced) diet. Still not great, but better! Have you found this to be the case as well?
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    You look terrific, congrats!
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, thank you for sharing!
  • Jensmyfitpal
    Jensmyfitpal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    you done a great job your looking fantastic btw.
  • ajcc500
    ajcc500 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ps- the reason I cropped my face out of each pic is because I'm a bit private with pics, mostly due to my bad acne. Yes, I'm prone to acne (am starting to think my case is genetic). Am currently using acne treatment and hoping for the best.

This may help, Caroline Hirons knows her stuff!! She has a lot of "cheat sheets" for common skincare problems.

http://www.carolinehirons.com/2012/05/acne-cheat-sheet.html?m=1
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!