Best machines to use at a Gym for fragile body? (fibro, etc)

Options
whereslisa
whereslisa Posts: 38 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
This question is more directed towards me concerning my back issues and such rather than in general. I'm getting a gym membership within the next week or two (at the YWCA). Thing is, I have never even been to a gym and have no idea how to have a proper workout/how to correctly use the equipment and such.

I'm aiming to lose about 35 more pounds, have lost around 35 in total over the last year. I'm 5'5, and 18 years old, girl, I have many issues including asthma, fibromayalgia, minor Scoliosis (very minor, not exactly a "diagnosis" but my back has a very slight S shape according to several doctors and chiropractors). Picking just one spot of my body that's sensitive/I have issues with is impossible, I hurt everywhere and all the time. Mostly in my back (mostly middle/upper), my shoulders/neck area, my hips and my knees. But if there was one or two things I'd need to be extra careful about is my back and my neck.

So, that being said, I mostly want to work on toning/losing fat in my stomach and upper back thigh area. But of course I want everything toned, if I had to pick one it'd be my stomach, everyone has that one place they are most self conscious about and mine is my stomach. I cannot do push ups or pull ups, I can do crunches but they hurt my back and neck. I have to be careful with what I do, despite going twice monthly to a muscle massage therapist and a chiropractor for adjustments and acupuncture along with clean eating and regular exercise (walking) I still manage to throw my back out of place all the time. I literally can sneeze the wrong way and my back will go out of place. This last week my back was out in 3 different places and one of my ribs was out too that was painful to fix, just because I had overdone it with volunteer work and or slept wrong.

So what I'm getting at is I HAVE to be careful to avoid pain. And I need help figuring out what machines can help me accomplish my fitness goals while not putting too much strain on my body. I did use a rowing stationary machine for 30 minutes the other day and it didn't hurt me at all which surprised me. But I've only used that and a treadmill.

So, any suggestions for a fragile person in need of toning up? Thanks!

Replies

• TheresaYoung32
    TheresaYoung32 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My goodness. Bravo to you to desire a healthy lifestyle. Your taking the first steps and don't ever look back. I too struggle with lower back pain. My sacrum isn't properly fused with the vertebrae so it kinda sticks out throwing the center of gravity off my spine causing my lower back muscles to be over worked. I found out my muscles were not firing correctly. Just not working in the order they should. I was recommended physical therapy to strengthen the week muscles and get them working together the way they should. I did the exercises. I felt better. Then I really wanted to start weight training. My husband is a bodybuilder and I love it too. Starting training in January. Now my advice to you is to get physical therapy first then get a trainer who specializes in functional exercise. You need help to learn. WE ALL DO. Everybody starts somewhere. Read everything you can. Get on Bodybuilding.com. it's not just muscle heads. It's people like me and you striving for health. Very educational website with articles and a huge database. Success story's as well. One of the biggest motivators is Brian Epstein. Follow him on instagram and read his story it's truly amazing. You need special care so you don't injure your self. Don't ever give up ok. And when you do start working out take this advice get some Glutamine. Google it. It's a simple supplement that changed my life lol!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    First, talk to yoour dr. He/she should be able to tell you what limitations your health will have to your work out. To give you an example, my uncle has fibromyalgia and scoliosis. He used to be a competitive gymnast (rings and high bar). He has a lot of limitations, but not involving exercise, like type of mattress to sleep on, not driving for long hours, what chairs/desk he can use etc. On the other hand, one of my closest friends also has scoliosis and while it does nto affect her everyday activities, it has limited a lot what she can do regarding exercise. In the end she has found a combination of yoga and martial arts to work for her.
    Because of your age, even without medical issues, personally a gym and machines would be the last thing I would suggest. Boring, not very effective and starting to work out without supervision will increase the risk of getting hurt. Figure out what sounds like fun, and talk to your dr about it. There are a ton of activities, classes, sports you can choose, and something must be suitable for you. There is not a single exercise that works for everyone, so first find what you are allowed to do and what sounds fun from these activities. My guess is swimming would be both safe and effective, or if you do not want to be in a pool, maybe a class involving bodyweight exercises could be a good place to start, like pilates, yoga, TRX or even better a functional training program if you can find a class near you.