If gaining lean tissue is your primary goal do you lift weights in a fasted state or eat first?

Options

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Muscle building happens the day after, so it really doesn't matter how you lift (fasted or not) the day before. Your nutrition should be consistent and ensure you consume enough protein on your rest day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Well won't a pre workout meal have better performance which could stimulate more fiber tears right?

No, meal timing is personal preference for performance sake. Some individuals need a pre-workout meal. For others, if they eat within a few hours of training, it causes all types of issues and lowers performance.

You didn't answer my question. Also I am talking about performance so your first sentence was already said in my quote.

He did answer your question.

A person's performance in the gym will be determined by that person and how he feels.
    If I felt I wasn't able to go 100% in the fasted state, then I wouldn't.
    But my lifts have been great for 2 years now....
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rccatalano wrote: »
    The most important thing for building muscle with minimal fat gain is to eat a slight calorie surplus (300-500 cals, depending on your body's response) each day. In this regard, meal timing does not matter. However, a pre-workout meal is beneficial for a few reasons:

1. Carbs provide your muscles with glycogen, which allows for heavier and more intense lifts
    2. Consuming protein before your workout helps mitigate the muscle breakdown that occurs when you lift

For these two reasons, I eat about 25g protein and 25g carbs roughly an hour before I lift. That, and because lifting heavy on an empty stomach sucks and I would never do that to myself

25g of carbs isn't really going to do much for muscle glycogen pre-workout. Elite athletes or individuals that train multiple times a day need to be concerned with replenishing muslce glycogen for their next bout, but for everyone else, muscle glycogen will replenish during the course of feeding. And while consuming protein pre-workout may lessen the amount of muscle protein breakdown, MPB will still occur. So the overall concern is net protein balance.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    Muscle building happens the day after, so it really doesn't matter how you lift (fasted or not) the day before. Your nutrition should be consistent and ensure you consume enough protein on your rest day.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well won't a pre workout meal have better performance which could stimulate more fiber tears right?

No, meal timing is personal preference for performance sake. Some individuals need a pre-workout meal. For others, if they eat within a few hours of training, it causes all types of issues and lowers performance.

You didn't answer my question. Also I am talking about performance so your first sentence was already said in my quote.

A person's performance in the gym will be determined by that person and how he feels.

So you go fasted right. What if you took for example C4 your performance would be hinder?
  • dieselbyte
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Reading comprehension? I did answer your question.
  • MityMax96
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So you go fasted right. What if you took for example C4 your performance would be hinder?

I do fasted. Yes
    I don't do a pre-workout other than Xtend BCAA's
    I have done Psycho pre-workout by scivation....and performance was about the same.....but there was a difference.....slight difference.
    But still workout was on par w/ others that were not with a pre-workout.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Some individuals need a pre-workout meal. For others, if they eat within a few hours of training, it causes all types of issues and lowers performance.

I fall into this category. If i eat within a few hours of training i will either throw up mid workout, on the drive home, or feel sick for an hour or two after working out.

I DO sip bcaas during my workout and have no issues with energy, performance, etc.

As said above, however, it is up to personal preference as neither is better than the other when it comes to building muscle.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I do fasted. Yes
    I have done Psycho pre-workout by scivation....and performance was about the same.....but there was a difference.....slight difference.

Slight difference in what way. More reps? less reps?

• dieselbyte
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I do fasted. Yes

My point exactly. Everyone is different. I don't take C4 or any pre-workouts, because it makes me jittery more than anything. I took it once, thought I was having a heart attack, and had to stop mid-workout lol! A cup of coffee a day is more than enough to keep me going for hours at work. But that's me. Meal timing should be considered for performance. Performance and programming will dictate muscle growth.
  • MityMax96
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I do fasted. Yes

My point exactly. Everyone is different. I don't take C4 or any pre-workouts, because it makes me jittery more than anything. I took it once, thought I was having a heart attack, and had to stop mid-workout lol! A cup of coffee a day is more than enough to keep me going for hours at work. But that's me. Meal timing should be considered for performance. Performance and programming will dictate muscle growth.

LOL
    I remember the first time I did that w/ a pre-workout or used Cellucor SuperHD

Felt the same way....thought my heart was gonna explode out of my chest.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    I eat about a half hour before I train -- some protein and carbs -- otherwise I get too hungry in the middle of deadlifting, squatting, or benching. Occasionally, I need to eat a protien bar because I get to hungry while in gym.
  • MityMax96
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I do fasted. Yes

If I can recall, cause it has been a while....
    I think I had a little bit more focus
    I was a bit more anxious...I guess is how you could describe it....

But it wasn't enough to keep me wanting to continue to the buy the product......
    Because over time, your body will get used to it....so you do need to take a break from it...

Which I have, and just never bought anymore.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I do fasted. Yes

LOL

Lucky you, I was hospitalized for an anxiety attack because i thought i was having a stroke. Slurred speech, racing heart, hands shaking, numbness in my face, and unable to concentrate.

This was from the old formula of Jack3d.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I do fasted. Yes

LOL

That not how I felt after drink like a 1/3 serving of C4. I used some of my friends. I did think I was the incredible hunk but don't remember reaching any PRs that workout.

• MityMax96
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Lucky you, I was hospitalized for an anxiety attack because i thought i was having a stroke. Slurred speech, racing heart, hands shaking, numbness in my face, and unable to concentrate.

Fun times LOL
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Fun times LOL

Yep. hahaha. I stick to just the BCAAs now.
  • yopeeps025
    edited April 2015
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I do fasted. Yes

If I can recall, cause it has been a while....
    I think I had a little bit more focus
    I was a bit more anxious...I guess is how you could describe it....

But it wasn't enough to keep me wanting to continue to the buy the product......
    Because over time, your body will get used to it....so you do need to take a break from it...

Which I have, and just never bought anymore.

So then you are agree that the pre workout did allow for more time under tension which we know what happens with that.

Also my apologizes for saying comment didn't answer my question. It did but the person I quoted knows that when I ask him a question that I want what he has seeing in the field and what he has studied.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I don't recall it being more TUT
    Just I didn't take into account other distractions in the gym.....
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It really is not that complicated, but people add more than necessary. Training and nutrition are totally separate things but there is interaction. In my opinion, THE single most important thing in training is intensity and intensity requires focus. So whether training fasted or fed is best decided by what give the most focus and intensity. Training itself is catabolic in that it breaks down muscle.

Nutrition takes that stimulus and uses it to produce muscle. Timing is relatively unimportant and as @dieselbyte has pointed out, feeding prior to training is not going to increase muscle glycogen. In the end, as has been stated, it is nothing more than a preference really. A preworkout is for some a way to increase intensity, but for others it is a distraction. Again, a personal decision.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    joejccva71 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm getting old then because i have a hell of a time remaining focused on heavy Squats and Deads while fasted. :)
    You're getting old.

Not saying that training fasted is best for everyone. Find you niche and work with it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • dieselbyte
    Options
    AKDonF wrote: »
    It really is not that complicated, but people add more than necessary. Training and nutrition are totally separate things but there is interaction. In my opinion, THE single most important thing in training is intensity and intensity requires focus. So whether training fasted or fed is best decided by what give the most focus and intensity. Training itself is catabolic in that it breaks down muscle.

Nutrition takes that stimulus and uses it to produce muscle. Timing is relatively unimportant and as @dieselbyte has pointed out, feeding prior to training is not going to increase muscle glycogen. In the end, as has been stated, it is nothing more than a preference really. A preworkout is for some a way to increase intensity, but for others it is a distraction. Again, a personal decision.

Well said!
    /end thread