Improving Run Time/Improving Run Distance

Options
In need of tricks/tips on improving run time/distance. Thinking of starting some sort of run/walk program. Even though I can run 30 mins in a S-L-O-W pace, I want to up my pace and distance. Running is like a trigger to my weight loss. I currently run a 15-17 minute mile. I'm 32 years old and I just feel like I should be more in shape, more fit. Thank you for any suggestions made.

Replies

• MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I would say do the run/walk program (C25K?) and try do the run portions with your ideal (but realistic) min/mile pace. You may need a running app to monitor this.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a run/walk program right now leading up to 5k with a group. Sometimes it helps to have other people pace you? In a monthish I've gone for 14.5 min mile to 12..5. Hopefully will be faster in another month! I know working with other people has helped immensely.

I've also heard sprinting a day or two a week can help you with time.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Nothing has helped my speed like lifting. Squats, lunges and deadlifts have taken more than a minute off my time.

Running further is the best thing I've done to help my distance, though IMO, it's as much mental as it is physical.
  • susanr613
    susanr613 Posts: 22
    Options
    These are all good suggestions. I also recommend setting a goal, such as completing a 5K within X minutes or just completing a 10K (longer distance).
  • KristinD1977
    KristinD1977 Posts: 101
    Options
    According to Runner's World, HIIT training increases speed. I have not tried it yet (but plan to next year) as my goal for this fall is distance and I've found a pretty comfortable and sustainable pace for myself.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/run-faster-with-high-intensity-interval-training
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Follow some sort of training plan like C25K. Pace will improve the more you run. Just don't increase total mileage more than 10% a week.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend a training program:

One is free online Hal Higdon's - pick your distance:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/

The other is a book and costs ~$12 on Amazon (very good; I'm using it and it was recommended to me by my marathon running friends)

Road Racing for Serious Runners

http://books.google.com/books/about/Road_racing_for_serious_runners.html?id=MFMCf_JVJeQC
  • Wild_Hare
    Wild_Hare Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K earlier this spring and have also been looking to improve my running speed. I just downloaded a similar app called 5KForever which is designed to help increase your speed. So far so good! I'm a week in and really liking the program.

I'm the type that needs a structured plan to follow so it really helps!
  • DT1Rock
    DT1Rock Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Run stairs on your non-run days. I've been doing it the last few weeks & has help[ed my speed & endurance. I run up the stands & down the stairs,@ a football field, can really feel it when I'm running hills on my routes & my momentum is easier to keep up. : )
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I would say just do as much running as you can in regards to distance, to get your endurance up. Get it to a point so you can run consistantlly (Set a goal, for me it was 60 minutes) then start working on your pace. Either splits, Hill Sprints, regular sprints running up and down stairs there are plenty of programs out there. But at this point just get out and run or run/walk if you have to. Or if you have the time set your goal to 90 minutes than 120 as your endurance builds your speed will build on your shorter runs, but Interval Training really gives it a boost. Do what you enjoy.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    ^^^ all awesome stuff. +1000 on couch 25k

after that, interval training.

I started lifting and did a little research on posterior chain. Most of my running pains have minimized thanks to squats, deadlifts, etc.
  • beckcarp
    beckcarp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Interval training is great for improving pace. Sprint for 20 seconds, walk for 20 seconds. Repeat at least 3 times, but more will help! I'd recommend starting your workout off with a regular paced run.. 1/2 mile or mile.. just to warm up and then get into the intervals.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live and whether or not this is an option for you, but I am fortunate enough to live where it mostly is gently rolling terrain but not far from me is a big hill that has a neighborhood that has 3 routes up/down the hill and the main street outside the neighborhood has a sidewalk. The sidewalk is the toughest; it rises about 300' in a half mile. Inside the neighborhood the routes up are a little longer. Anyway, hill training allows you to work harder to maintain the same pace and after you have done that a few times it is easier to increase the pace when on more level ground. At least that is what I was told and my training experience seems to be bearing it out, though I am still on the slower side right now. But I think it will work if for no other reason than I believe it...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    speed and distance builds over time. get your runs in, and keep track of them. don't expect leaps and bounds of improvement, but if you are paitent and dedicated, you will see the speed and endurance build, and the weight fall off.

but i also agree with jackson. lifting helps build the muscles you use for running.
  • KlaJWolf
    KlaJWolf Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Running is the only I was ever gifted with (it doesn't require much coordination). If you want to improove your run times it isn't in the distance. It's nice to be able to run a long stretch, but it isn't going to pick up your pace. I do a lot of hill and interval training. If you can run for a half hour strait try doing this. Pick something you think is about 75-100 yards away and give run at a pace that will get your heart rate pumping. When you've reached that spot, run SLOW for about 200 yards (make it feel like a nice, slow REWARD for that fast run) and keep repeating the cycle. I like to do it this way, vs using a stop watch. I don't like staring at a clock and thinking "Ugggg, is this over yet!", Picking random spots helps make the run go faster and keeps it interesting.

Try running a coarse with a variation of hills as well. Yes, they aren't very fun, but if you push hard through them, they'll pay off! Doing this every few days, makes it easier to fly through the flat courses.

Good luck!
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    You can run 30 minutes already so I would suggest do the C25K program but instead of a walk/run do a your current pace/ 20% faster pace. Not only are you working on running fast but it is a form of interval training.

Also, what Kayla said.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    If you want to improove your run times it isn't in the distance. It's nice to be able to run a long stretch, but it isn't going to pick up your pace. I do a lot of hill and interval training.

I would disagree. I think that distance and total mileage is the biggest factor in your ability to improve your distance and pace. Show me a list of people and let me see each one's monthly mileage. I could pick the winner out of that list easy. It's most likely the one that puts in more miles consistently every month.

Intervals are nice but that's like adding the trim and moulding in once you have the house built. The structural part and the bulk of the house is the daily mile upon mile at an easy to moderately difficult pace.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    run miles. lots and lots and lots of miles

. the more you run, the faster you will become, but i'd say what others have said...ease in gradually with c25k and take it from there.

you can sustain 30minutes already, so you could skip the first 2 weeks, but the more miles you log, the faster you will become over time
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    As a few of the other posters here have said, you need to run more. Doing HIIT will give you a quick improvement, but it won't take you far. In order to run faster, you have to run more distance over time. This is the tried and true method that is accepted as the gospel by running coaches from the running store all the way up to Olympic coaches.

You can already run 30 minutes, so the C25K is too beginner for you. If you are currently running every other day, I would suggest you increase the time of 2 of your weekly runs. Go for 35 to 40 minutes on those and keep the other runs at 30. Do this for a few weeks, that cut back to all 30s, then start to increase a third run. Do 30, 35, 40, 35 one week. That type of thing. Work toward doing 4 runs a week, with two being 45 minutes, one being 60 minutes and the other being 75 minutes. Take a few months to get there. When you have conquered that, you'll be ready to post her asking for the next step. :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Carson is the man!

I used to think if I just ran faster for the same 5K would get faster. The truth is when I trained for a 10K, I got faster. When I trained for a 1/2 marathon, I got faster.

Run, run, run and run some more.