I have not hurt anyone yet...

Options
So I have made it 18 hours and 9 Mins...
I have not had one ciggerette. But I really want one my break at work is coming up, anyone got any suggestion what do non smokers do on break?

Replies

• Cara2628
    Cara2628 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I can't give you any advice...but I just wanted to say great job! And keep up the good work :) You can do it!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Walk. No one wants to smoke while taking a walk. :-) Good luck!
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Practice a hobby- belly dance can be done in a work bathroom, a lollipop can fix the oral fixation (same with homemade low call zero sugar popsicles!), embroidery can be taken anywhere.

Go outside for a walk, but walk away from the smokers so you dont smell it!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I take a brisk walk around the parking lot or read my kindle INSIDE the office (you can't smoke inside the building!)

I know it's hard - I quit in 2010, cold turkey. I still have a craving once in a while, but I haven't given in yet.
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Don't go out with the smokers (alot of quitters think this is a good idea to test their resolve, not a good plan). Do you have a canteen you can go and sit and have a drink, if tea/coffee is a trigger then have a fruit juice instead. I started to hang out with the non smokers instead and it helped.

I know that right now you are probably thinking about it all the time. I can promise you that one day, not too far away, you will suddenly notice you got to lunch time and smoking didn't even cross your mind. Not long after that it will be dinner time before you notice it.

One minute, one hour, one day at a time. YOU CAN DO IT !!
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Practice a hobby- belly dance can be done in a work bathroom, a lollipop can fix the oral fixation (same with homemade low call zero sugar popsicles!), embroidery can be taken anywhere.
    Hey, the lollipop fixation worked for Kojak, didn't it?
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Have some sugarless candy. I used lollipops. Also, if you are a drinker...stop. Any smoker who also drank would have to have a cigarette while sipping. Change what you normally do as much as possible. If you have smoke while drinking coffee, then use a travel mug and get away.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Whatever will keep your mind occupied. I have a friend that had been known to send and recieve junk pics to stay busy and ended up clocking back in at lunch. Occupy yourself in some way.
  • spanky1958
    Options
    First congratulations!
    Go somewhere totally away from where you smoked or used to take your breaks. Do something totally different. What really helped me was changing my driving route to and from work, where I took my breaks etc...You need to fake out your mind. If you stop driviing by the place where you always light up the last cigarette before getting to your work, you have avoided a "trigger". Same with breaks, etc. Soon it will become habit. I have been smoke free for 5 years. I quit cold turkey and yes - there are days when I do want a cigarette but not as bad as early on. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Gum worked for me....
    Cigarettes always tasted gross if I had gum. Especially flavored gum.
    But that was mostly because I HATED menthol. So if I had minty gum, I wouldn't go near a cigarette.

Also, hard candy works well, I hear.

And yes, don't go to where the smokers go on their break. Go somewhere else.
  • LunaMischief
    LunaMischief Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Gum worked for me....
    Cigarettes always tasted gross if I had gum. Especially flavored gum.
    But that was mostly because I HATED menthol. So if I had minty gum, I wouldn't go near a cigarette.

Also, hard candy works well, I hear.

And yes, don't go to where the smokers go on their break. Go somewhere else.

Agreed with these. Keep suckers and gum on hand at all times. It's how my mom quit after 30+ yrs of smoking.
  • mytime1986
    mytime1986 Posts: 117
    Options
    Thank you for all of your advice. Since I work downtown I decided to go for a mini walk, I think maybe I will go visit a few of the new stores a coupleof blocks away on lunch. But I now have some great ideas! I will be way more prepared tomorrow Thanks!
  • motivatedshi
    motivatedshi Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Welbutrin ( the anti depressant) reallly really helped me quit smoking, before that i smoked a pack a day for 8 years. I only had to take it for a week, and It really made it so much easier to quit. I owuld ask your doctor about it if you haven't already
  • motivatedshi
    motivatedshi Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    also, I would invest in a good electronic ciggerette, if you are addicted to the hand movment, and keep your mouth and hands busy. go to cignot.com , they have a starter package called joy ego. those are good, and really help me stay quitting.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!!! My "quit date" is tomorrow. Walking is great! I'm worried about the same thing though. I go back to work on Wednesday and my partner smokes. I'm going to have to figure out things to keep me occupied when he goes outside. I might have to walk circles around the station lol
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    When I quit (10 years ago), I replaced smoking with sucking on cinnamon sticks (calorie free) and chewed gum and sucked on pretzel sticks and took deep breaths and drank cold water. I also walked and walked when I really wanted one.
    I don't even crave them anymore and hate the smell.
    You can do it and you will feel more and more amazing as time goes on.
    Along with losing weight, its the best thing you can possibly do for your good health!
    I congratulate you for taking this step!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I've had a number friends who, with a few slips and trips, were able to stop smoking. One friend, in fact, had such a strong association with smoking and drinking beer, he ended up giving up the latter (cig in one hand, beer in the other).
    Sounds like other posters have great suggestions. All I can say is carry on!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I was a smoker, now I am a runner, you can do it!
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Good luck! When I quit in January of 2011 I used the nicorette inhaler, and found that it helped me a lot. I used it for a month when I was craving a cigarette and then I didn't need it anymore. This is also how many of my family members quit smoking also :) Just to give you another choice. Mind over matter!
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Walk. No one wants to smoke while taking a walk. :-) Good luck!

Why not?