I need advice....

Options
HELP! Had a weak moment yesturday, I finished my daughters frozen yogurt. About a rough estimate of 3 1/2 ounces of froyo so I skipped both my snacks for the day that I usually have and woke up a pound lighter! I never post my offical weigh ins til Tuesday though! Hopefully I'll see a loss regardless of me giving in yesturday. What's everyones take on froyo/ cheat meals? I'm in my second phase of my diet which allows me to eat with less restrictions. Let's face it when this diet is over... I'm going to be face with the reality of temptations but I want to be smart, picky and better at deciding if something is worth it or not...

Replies

• thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it and move on.

I see cheat meals and treats as good motivation as long as they are in moderation. Speaking from experience if I don't allow my self a treat then I more than likely end up on a huge binge.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've lost just fine having treats. I think as long as you stay within your calorie goals, or have them balance out over the week, it's all good.
  • jcondeee
    jcondeee Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I feel so guilty :neutral: ugh live and you learn I guess.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine.

There is nothing wrong with eating foods that you like. There is no such thing as a bad food. Everything in moderation is good.

The key is taking the time to learn moderation, and being able to eat whatever you want.

Some people can cut things out completely and it work for them, but for most cutting things completely winds up ending with falling back into old Habits.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Well if your diary is accurate your only averaging 800 calories a day anyway. I would urge you to consistently eat more (at least 1200) for the sake of your long term health and to retain some muscle
  • higgins8283801
    Options
    And what diet are you on where there is a phase 2?

The best diet is just relearning how to eat.
  • jcondeee
    Options

I am on Ideal Protein, It is in four phases, and teaches you exactly what is good and bad.
  • jcondeee
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Well if your diary is accurate your only averaging 800 calories a day anyway. I would urge you to consistently eat more (at least 1200) for the sake of your long term health and to retain some muscle
    It's accurate, this diet has made me not to hungry at all.

• higgins8283801
    Options
    You asked for help so here is my advice.

Ditch the diet you're on.

You shouldn't feel guilt about eating a little ice cream.

There is no such thing as a bad food.

And you shouldn't be eating 800 calories.

Ditch the diet and just be mindful about what you're eating. Relearn how to eat, learn proper portions.

You can still eat the ice cream and be ok. I am in maintenance now and eat whatever I want, did it while losing too.

ditch the diet.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I think people here would have an issue in regarding food as good or bad.
    On terms of guilt then thats a waste of time, can be demoralising and do more to undermine your efforts than the extra calories you have consumed, hence the log it and move on approach. Its not going to be a significant amount of calories, so maybe worry less.
  • Showtime1978
    Showtime1978 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There is so much wrong with this post...I don't even know where to begin. All I can say is you need to figure out what type of body you are aiming for and then research how to achieve it. If you are going for (pardon the term) "skinny-fat" with a high chance of regaining most or all of the weight then please continue on as-is. If not, then please don't do fad diets. It is all so simple but people complicate it for some reason. Eat sensibly, don't deprive yourself of things you love, find your own manageable balance between weight training and cardio, and live life. Just my two cents.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

Ditch the diet and just be mindful about what you're eating. Relearn how to eat, learn proper portions.

You can still eat the ice cream and be ok. I am in maintenance now and eat whatever I want, did it while losing too.

ditch the diet.

Honestly, this lady has it all right. Ice cream is not unhealthy, and no food is good or bad. Froyo is quite good for you, just like yogurt is good for you. Every food can fit into an overall healthful diet.

Eating 800 calories a day will wear down your body. You will lose muscle mass along with your body fat, making you "squishy" by the time you reach your goal weight. You will eventually start losing your hair, your nails will become brittle, and your skin will dry out, making you look older than you are.

Trust me--I did a similar diet three different times and the results on my body ARE NOT pretty. Increase your calories, incorporate some treats, and learn more about fueling yourself correctly. I truly wish you the best, and you should never, ever feel guilty about eating food (unless you stole it. That would be a whole other ball game ;)) :)
  • Showtime1978
    Showtime1978 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

ditch the diet.

All of this!!!! Yes!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    jcondeee wrote: »

This diet will make you sick. You will not have the energy or health to be there for your daughter. And you will gain everythign back the moment you stop. This is not the way to get a nice body, this is a guaranteed way to ruin your body.
  • jcondeee
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I didn't see this as being a long term solution to weight loss, I wanted to lose at least 90% of my goal weight and then start uping my calorie intake with healthy foods and then go to the gym on a more scheduled basis. I'm clearly not on the right track from hearing all the advice from everyone. What exactly is the right about of calories I should be consuming? What foods should I be sticking with? As of right now, I am eatting tons of chicken, fish, and veggies. I have a protein bar every morning, protein soups, and protein shakes with salads. Ugh! I am learning this all on my own and have a family who doesn't necessarily eat right but are all athletic, with smaller bodies. Something I once had, but older now that I don't have time to play sports. We are all 5'5 and under. I am aiming to be lean and tone.
  • jcondeee
    edited April 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

This diet will make you sick. You will not have the energy or health to be there for your daughter. And you will gain everythign back the moment you stop. This is not the way to get a nice body, this is a guaranteed way to ruin your body.

I am beginning to understand this. This diet really has been more of a portion thing with me. I never really ate unhealthy, just wasn't great at portioning when I was pregnant and gained alot of weight that I never attempted to get off til recently.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    I didn't see this as being a long term solution to weight loss, I wanted to lose at least 90% of my goal weight and then start uping my calorie intake with healthy foods and then go to the gym on a more scheduled basis. I'm clearly not on the right track from hearing all the advice from everyone. What exactly is the right about of calories I should be consuming? What foods should I be sticking with? As of right now, I am eatting tons of chicken, fish, and veggies. I have a protein bar every morning, protein soups, and protein shakes with salads. Ugh! I am learning this all on my own and have a family who doesn't necessarily eat right but are all athletic, with smaller bodies. Something I once had, but older now that I don't have time to play sports. We are all 5'5 and under. I am aiming to be lean and tone.

Protein and veggies are great, but they aren't the only things you should eat. Add calories by adding nuts, oils, and even butter to your meals. Bread and pasta are not evil, and they can also be eaten. For more help, give us your stats: Height, current weight, goal weight, age. You should be eating a bare minimum of 1200 calories, probably more, since your height is almost the same as mine.

For leaning up, it's all about calories, but for "toning", you need to be doing some form of resistance training. You don't need to be consuming your calories in protein shakes or protein supplements.

Just for starter points:
    • Immediately up your calorie intake to a minimum of 1200 calories--Not knowing much about your stats, I can't recommend a better number right now, but 800 is a no-no.
    • Eat things that you LIKE within your calories, along with all of the other nutrient dense foods like veggies and lean proteins. This will keep you from going crazy with temptation and binging on a large amount of foods that you've restricted yourself from.
    • Don't feel guilty about treats, they're all good in an overall healthy diet! :)
    • Carbs aren't bad for you unless you have a medical condition--You can eat bread and pasta and those types of things to help increase your calories.
    • Make sure you get enough protein and fat. Fat isn't bad, and you need it to keep your skin healthy.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    One more thing. My diary is public, and although I've been missing a few days here and there, it's mostly filled out for the past year or so. If you like, you're welcome to browse it for ideas. :)
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I am on Ideal Protein, It is in four phases, and teaches you exactly what is good and bad.

There are no foods that are "good" and "bad."

• jcondeee
    Options

Protein and veggies are great, but they aren't the only things you should eat. Add calories by adding nuts, oils, and even butter to your meals. Bread and pasta are not evil, and they can also be eaten. For more help, give us your stats: Height, current weight, goal weight, age. You should be eating a bare minimum of 1200 calories, probably more, since your height is almost the same as mine.

For leaning up, it's all about calories, but for "toning", you need to be doing some form of resistance training. You don't need to be consuming your calories in protein shakes or protein supplements.

Just for starter points:
    • Immediately up your calorie intake to a minimum of 1200 calories--Not knowing much about your stats, I can't recommend a better number right now, but 800 is a no-no.
    • Eat things that you LIKE within your calories, along with all of the other nutrient dense foods like veggies and lean proteins. This will keep you from going crazy with temptation and binging on a large amount of foods that you've restricted yourself from.
    • Don't feel guilty about treats, they're all good in an overall healthy diet! :)
    • Carbs aren't bad for you unless you have a medical condition--You can eat bread and pasta and those types of things to help increase your calories.
    • Make sure you get enough protein and fat. Fat isn't bad, and you need it to keep your skin healthy.

Hi! Thank you so much for kindly giving me advice I need! I'm 23, had one child, 5'1" and currently 130.