Dealing With EXTREME Temptation

Options
Hey all,
I work in retail and I am always stocking and organizing, candy, chips, and soda...the temptation has become OUTRAGEOUS! I used to eat a candy bar a day, sometimes two....Does anyone else know this struggle? How did you overcome it? What little cheat things did you allow yourself to have that didnt lead to catastrophic ends to your diet?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I just don't eat the stuff if it's something for which I haven't planned. Sometimes that means I have a grilled shrimp salad at a pizza place or just walk by all the Easter candy on the table. It's simply a question of priorities.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    You can try logging in a candy bar and eating it. After a few days I bet they woulnt look so tempting!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    What works for me is fitting it into my day. Sometimes it's only half or one piece, not even a full serving, but sometimes it's the whole thing. Also, I just eat the candy/dessert/sweet even if I go over my calories for the day. I bought and ate an Oh Henry! bar a couple days ago. My lizard brain approved greatly which I find keeping happy more important because it leads to less overeating.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You can have a candy bar a day...just fit it into your daily goal. Change your thinking from "diet" to lifestyle change. I know that sounds cliche but it is key to success. You have to want to lose weight and get fit more than you want the food. To me, no food tastes as good as how I feel after losing 45 lbs. :) Good luck!!
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem at work (surrounded by nibbles). I would just have it, in small portions. Trying to deny myself inevitably led to a binge, but if I accepted that nothing was off limits and I could have it whenever I wanted to it became less of a "treat" for me, and it was remarkably easy to not have it. Actually, I kind of stopped wanting a lot of it because I saw it eeeeevery day and it lost its appeal.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Extra Dessert Delights gum.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Myself I quite buying the stuff. I am of the type once I have one I will eat myself silly until they are all gone. Myself control is nonexistance on certain foods. Also if you really start paying attention (logging) caloris and attemping to limit to your daily allowance you may think twice about eating a 250 cal candy bar or having something more fullfilling. Then again maybe not.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    mgutier1 wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I work in retail and I am always stocking and organizing, candy, chips, and soda...the temptation has become OUTRAGEOUS! I used to eat a candy bar a day, sometimes two....Does anyone else know this struggle? How did you overcome it? What little cheat things did you allow yourself to have that didnt lead to catastrophic ends to your diet?
    If you have limited yourself to one candy bar a day, I'd say you have this extreme temptation under control. Why not reframe the internal dialogue that "One candy bar fits in my day; now which one will I enjoy now?" Then the candy bar will not terminate your plan.

Become a connoisseur. With your limit of one per day, pick the best of the lot. Don't settle.

Read the nutrition labels and pick one that has a lower overall calorie count and higher protein count. Stocking the protein bar section might help.

When I kept an emergency stock of energy bars on hand, I cut them in half. Half a bar was 100 calories, the perfect snack size for my afternoon. Pre-portioning kept my eating under control. I just won't finish half a bar once I've started.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    If I log it before I eat it and then I often lose the desire. Quit telling yourself you can't have it, because you CAN, and just log it. Either fit it into your daily calories, or don't. Sometimes, it's well worth it to me to fit in a candy bar and sometimes it's not. You have to measure the desire with what it will do to your calorie goal and make that decision. Only you can make that choice.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Well... I eat a candy bar or some other treat every single day... it didn't stop me from losing 50 pounds and keeping it off for 10 years. It hasn't kept me from becoming physically fit. So I'd say, have a candy bar if you like and fill in the rest of your day more nutritious foods.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You can try logging in a candy bar and eating it. After a few days I bet they woulnt look so tempting!

This! I do this a lot with foods I want but aren't even close to being "good for me"... I look up the calories, look at the fat content then look at how much protein is in it... self debate if this food is going to leave me full until the next snack or meal... self debate on if its even worth it... most times its not, but the occasional chocolate is good.

Maybe you could have the fun size bars, still giving yourself the sweetness but not all the calories... IF you can CONTROL yourself. ( which I cannot >:) )
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try a mindful eating exercise with a small bit of your favourite candy one day. I've mindfully eaten a raisin, a bagel, and a piece of chocolate. Mindful eating extends the pleasure and is retained in memory much better. These small portions gave me far more pleasure, say, than finishing a whole bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGKsLX4Ulb0

The memory of that glorious eating moment also may give you pause the next time you are tempted to over-eat a treat.
  • Ramla_J
    Ramla_J Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Think about this next time you want a bite of chocolate. This is from the FDA:

CPG Sec. 515.700 Chocolate & Chocolate Liquor - Adulteration with Insect and Rodent Filth

REGULATORY ACTION GUIDANCE:

The following represents criteria for direct reference seizure to the Division of Compliance Management and Operations (HFC-210), and for direct citation by District Offices:

1.Insect Filth
    a.The chocolate in six (6) 100 gram subsamples contains an average of 60 or more insect fragments per 100 grams.
    or

b.Any one subsample contains 90 or more insect fragments, even if the overall average of all the subsamples is less than 60.

2.Rodent Filth
    a.The chocolate in six (6) 100 gram subsamples contains an average of more than 1.0 rodent hair per 100 grams, regardless of the size of the hairs or hair fragments.
    or

b.Any one subsample contains more than 3 rodent hairs even if the overall average is less than 1.0 rodent hair.
    *NOTE: Insect and rodent filth analyses are conducted using method 965.38, Official Methods of Analysis, (2000) 17th Edition, AOAC, Gaithersburg, MD.*

SPECIMEN CHARGE:

Article adulterated (when introduced into and while in interstate commerce) (while held for sale after introduction into interstate commerce), within the meaning of 21 U.S.C. 342(a)(3), in that it consists in part of a filthy substance by reason of the presence therein of (insect fragments) (rodent hairs).

NOTE: Only use direct reference citation authority when prosecution is anticipated and evidence to support a prosecution is included with the adulteration charge. Evidence necessary to support a prosecution is specified in existing regulatory procedures issuances.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Ramla_J wrote: »

CPG Sec. 515.700 Chocolate & Chocolate Liquor - Adulteration with Insect and Rodent Filth

The following represents criteria for direct reference seizure to the Division of Compliance Management and Operations (HFC-210), and for direct citation by District Offices:

1.Insect Filth
    a.The chocolate in six (6) 100 gram subsamples contains an average of 60 or more insect fragments per 100 grams.
    or

b.Any one subsample contains 90 or more insect fragments, even if the overall average of all the subsamples is less than 60.

2.Rodent Filth
    a.The chocolate in six (6) 100 gram subsamples contains an average of more than 1.0 rodent hair per 100 grams, regardless of the size of the hairs or hair fragments.
    or

b.Any one subsample contains more than 3 rodent hairs even if the overall average is less than 1.0 rodent hair.
    *NOTE: Insect and rodent filth analyses are conducted using method 965.38, Official Methods of Analysis, (2000) 17th Edition, AOAC, Gaithersburg, MD.*

SPECIMEN CHARGE:

Article adulterated (when introduced into and while in interstate commerce) (while held for sale after introduction into interstate commerce), within the meaning of 21 U.S.C. 342(a)(3), in that it consists in part of a filthy substance by reason of the presence therein of (insect fragments) (rodent hairs).

NOTE: Only use direct reference citation authority when prosecution is anticipated and evidence to support a prosecution is included with the adulteration charge. Evidence necessary to support a prosecution is specified in existing regulatory procedures issuances.

Don't most foods have allowances for containing a certain amount of insect/rodent content? This isn't specific to chocolate.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

1.Insect Filth
    or

2.Rodent Filth
    or

SPECIMEN CHARGE:

I think the protein is already included in the nutritional info. Even if it isn't, it's not enough to log.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

1.Insect Filth
    or

2.Rodent Filth
    or

SPECIMEN CHARGE:

Why deal with PPM or the "approved" amount of rat hairs in chocolate? Just the whole bug!
    197683d1381786653-club-q-q107-loyalty-club-southern-only-v4-chocolate-covered-insects.jpg

• Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If I know I can't control my portions of a certain food, I just don't eat it at all. Peanut butter is the bane of my existence. Thankfully, I found PB2 a few years ago. If I didn't have that alternative, I just wouldn't eat PB in any form.
  • overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I know you have MANY responses now so my two cents is just that - I agree with farfromthetree - Have one candy a day to avoid the temptation just make sure you stay under your calorie goals. And if your calorie goal is 1200 calories (for many it is because they choose lose 2 lbs a week on goals) and you are working around temptations all day - maybe try sticking to a 1 - 1.5 lb per week goal so you have some calories to play around with. Also use the time stocking to get some good movement and exercise and you can burn some of that off. :)

I will tell you that the past year I have been paying attention to things that I used to crave. They really weren't that satisfying. I started to mentally log the taste, enjoyment, etc factors of some of my favorite foods and found they really weren't my favorites anymore. Maybe you could do that with your stocking items. You may find at the end of a couple of weeks those things aren't really that great to begin with.
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I know how hard it can be! In your situation, I'd pack my own food and leave ALL my money and cards at home. That way, I'd have made the decision not to buy candy while at work, and I'd have set the situation up so that I'd succeed. No money = no candy = win for my diet.