Making myself get up early to exercise

Options
kirdyq
kirdyq Posts: 165 Member
I've attempted exercising in the evenings before. With my full time work schedule and two small children at home, it doesn't work. I need to wake up by 4:45 or 5am before work to get it done. EVERY morning I set my alarm. EVERY morning I hit the snooze...for 45 minutes at least! What is wrong with me! How can I make myself get up?!?! I'm usually asleep by around 10pm on weeknights. Will it get easier to get up after I've done it for a week or two, or am I doomed to be un-toned and lazy? :) I wish they made a mattress that could send an electric shock through my body when the alarm goes off, throwing me out of the bed!

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I am up to workout at 4:44 AM. When I first made the transition to getting up earlier (was not that early at the time, but no matter) I kept my alarm clock on my dresser so that I had to get out of bed to shut it off :)
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Never NEVER hit the snooze...lol. Force yourself up ....maybe place your alarm clock out of arms reach so you are forced up out of bed to turn it off , there are also some alarms made out there that are made to get you up in sitting position and place your feet on them but it's too easy to lay back down haha...so my advice get that alarm as far fm your bed as possible !!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just get up and do it...that is the only way. Put the alarm clock where you can't reach it without getting your *kitten* out of bed. Once you're up, you're up and it's all good.
  • TammTammS
    TammTammS Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    "I am up to workout at 4:44 AM. When I first made the transition to getting up earlier (was not that early at the time, but no matter) I kept my alarm clock on my dresser so that I had to get out of bed to shut it off :)" quote

O great Idea, but my husband is going to hate it. I love getting up early on the weekends but during the week with work its just hard and i have no idea why....This I am going to try
  • nrsblc
    nrsblc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel :( But doing the workouts in the mornings is way better than doing it in the evening and plus it helps your body feel soo good and fit during the day. Im a college student and sometimes i have to get up early at 5.50 to do my workout. But after doing it, i feel refreshed and very very proud of myself! Keep pushing!
  • kharbaugh29
    kharbaugh29 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am up at 5am every week day. It was hard at first but you can do it. Now I don't even attempt to hit the snooze.

Now I am in the habit of making sure that my workout clothes are picked out the night before so that I don't wake my husband up. I also pack my lunch and my gym bag every night before I go to bed so there was no excuse for not getting out the door in time to do a minimum of 45 min at the gym.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, take a look at an app called "I Can't Wake Up". Its a free app. There are different tasks you need to perform before it will allow you to snooze or turn the alarm off. Puzzles, passwords, etc. My favorite is the barcode scanner. You can program several items and it will randomly select one each morning. You must scan the barcode before the alarm will turn off.

I like to pick things from my kitchen since its all the way on the other side of the house from my bedroom. Normally once I'm out of bed, I'm good.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I can't do it. I use to get up at 5:30 for a 6am spin class (3 children ago) and I did it for a long time, and I loved it but I just can't do it anymore. I'm not much help with the early morning, sorry. :(

I know it's so hard to figure out what works when you have small children. Walking with a stroller? Biking with a bike trailer? A dvd during naps?
  • IronFiend
    IronFiend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You have to want it badly enough.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    nike.jpg
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Two words: Workout partner.

Find someone to work out with you. You might be okay with sleeping in when it doesn't impact someone else, but if you know someone is meeting you, you'll get up.
  • amj3303
    amj3303 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I usually press play around 4:15 am.. lately it has been a bit later and it is easier now that my daughter is getting older. She is able to do a bit more and I don't have ot stop completely and get her situated before I can continue if she wakes up. I am a single mom But it works easier for me because then I have the evenings to play with her and get ourselves ready for the next day. It does get easier for sure and when I was seeing results, I was so excited to wake up and workout. Lately, I have been a bit more tired but just keep it up and it will def. pay off!! GOOD LUCK!! :)
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You can't *make* yourself get up and work your *kitten* off.

You have to **want** to get up, and bust a move.
  • USLJH10
    USLJH10 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Put your clock where you have to get up to turn it off. Put a picture or a out fit by your clock to give you a little extra motivation. I have a quote by my clock , refrig and my locker at work. It helps!
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You have to just WANT it....when you WANT it bad enough....you'll get up and go. Try putting your alarm clock on the other side of the room so you have to get out of bed hit snooze or to shut it off and put your workout clothes on and kill it at the gym. Good luck!!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I pretty much bully myself out of bed. Sad but true. I tell myself to get my lazy @ss out of bed, remind myself of my goals, etc. And by the time I'm done with all of that, I'm so awake, there's no chance of me going back to sleep anyway, so I might as well get up!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, take a look at an app called "I Can't Wake Up". Its a free app. There are different tasks you need to perform before it will allow you to snooze or turn the alarm off. Puzzles, passwords, etc. My favorite is the barcode scanner. You can program several items and it will randomly select one each morning. You must scan the barcode before the alarm will turn off.

I like to pick things from my kitchen since its all the way on the other side of the house from my bedroom. Normally once I'm out of bed, I'm good.

^^^ barcode scanning, lol.... GENIUS!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Is seven hours per night enough sleep for you long-term?
  • beckirenes
    Options
    I have recently started getting up at 5am to do workouts because I can't guarantee having time after work to fit it in. There are days where it's rough, but I've discovered that i feel SOOOOO much better after a morning workout. It really gets me going in the mornings and even though I've burned more calories, i feel fuller longer than if I don't work out.

i would recommend setting your alarm clock out of reach so you have to get up to turn it off. After a week or so, you'll be use to it and like the way you feel after a morning workout.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Also, train for something specific. In my experience, it's easy to slack off when you're just working out to workout. The motivation and intensity get kicked up a notch when you're actually training for with a purpose.