Fasted morning cardio opinions and ideas?

Options
thinking about giving it a go but not sure what form to do

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    aren't you doing a hypertrophy program?
  • ramesowen
    ramesowen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    aren't you doing a hypertrophy program?
    Yeah, when I've finished it
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Start with long slow. See how you feel. Long slow focuses more on fat burning, which after a fast, is pretty cool.

Moderate to hard cardio is going to tap glycogen stores. At times, that can be tough and cause a drop in blood sugar. I’ve adapted pretty well to it (I do crossfit WODs fasted), but every once in a while I will hit a wall.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    What is the goal? And why do you think it will help you achieve it?
  • ramesowen
    ramesowen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    What is the goal? And why do you think it will help you achieve it?

Never done it before so thought maybe I'd mix things up? Not 100% if i will yet
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I never go out of my way to do a fasted workout-it just sucks. But if work out in the morning- it's kind of how it works- it's hard to eat before a workout.

I know I don't like it- if I HAVE to do one- I would prefer cardio- but 9/10 if I'm working out in the AM- it's because I can't do it later- which means lifting- and that sucks.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Tried it, but definitely had a better workout when I had at least some fuel. Not having enough energy sucks when you hit the go button. Some people like it though, so personal choice. I couldnt find any substantial research which supported it as offering a significant advantage.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If I am doing a morning workout, it is before I eat anything. Not doing it on purpose, just that I can't work out well if I have food in my belly. I am not convinced there is anything special about doing it fasted or not. Other than you might not be able to go as long (90 minutes or so) without fuel.

Edit to add: By workout I do mean some kind of cardio. I don't lift anything ever...
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Last year I trained for a fall half marathon through the summer and it was way too hot to run after work so I switched to mornings. On MWF I'd wake up, change, drink a few sips of water, and go outside for 30-45 min run. When I got home I'd stretch, shower, eat breakfast, and drink a 20oz bottle of water with a Nuun electrolyte tablet on my way to work. I felt great all day and I always looked forward to those days! (Something I thought I'd never say). I'm planning on doing the same thing this summer for my second fall half marathon.