1200 a day..jheez

Options
2»

Replies

• PostExamsHealthBinge
    PostExamsHealthBinge Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's not dieting if your eating what to usually eat which for me is around 1,200calories so that's one of the reasons I'm eating less also most the food I like is low cal so to eat more then around 1,000 calories makes me physically uncomfortable also I find I feel much more sluggish and seem to feel more unwell when I eat a lot of calories so personally for my body 1,000 calories or less works (and yes I do get adequate nutrition because I don't eat empty calories like most people tend to accidentally do)
    1,200 a day becomes easy and I often struggle to reach 1,000 now- if your making healthy choices (and only 1 portion!) it should be pretty difficult to get up to 1,200 (unless you eat constantly). Give it time as well, your stomach shrinks and you feel full on a lot less food. Try dinners like stir fry (150cals without meat), or salads with a meat (around 300cals) and only snack on fruit (never goes about 90).

Why would you want to eat less? And making your body adapt to low calories? You should be dieting on as many calories as possible! OP - If you don't have a lot to lose, doing it slowly with as much food as possible is better for your health in the long run

• My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No your stomach is slightly elastic as in when you eat a lot it stretches and therefore it takes more to get full however as long as you haven't pushed it too far eating less will make it go back to its original size and you will get full quicker

Sadly, you are misinformed.

"2. Myth or Fact: If you cut down on your food intake, you'll eventually shrink your stomach so you won't be as hungry.
    Answer: Myth. Once you are an adult, your stomach pretty much remains the same size -- unless you have surgery to intentionally make it smaller. Eating less won't shrink your stomach, says Moyad, but it can help to reset your "appetite thermostat" so you won't feel as hungry, and it may be easier to stick with your eating plan. "
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1,200 a day becomes easy and I often struggle to reach 1,000 now- if your making healthy choices (and only 1 portion!) it should be pretty difficult to get up to 1,200 (unless you eat constantly). Give it time as well, your stomach shrinks and you feel full on a lot less food. Try dinners like stir fry (150cals without meat), or salads with a meat (around 300cals) and only snack on fruit (never goes about 90).

I regularly have bananas that hit 115-120 calories once I weigh them, apples that are over 100 calories...so no, fruit does often go above 90 calories
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    It's not dieting if your eating what to usually eat which for me is around 1,200calories so that's one of the reasons I'm eating less also most the food I like is low cal so to eat more then around 1,000 calories makes me physically uncomfortable also I find I feel much more sluggish and seem to feel more unwell when I eat a lot of calories so personally for my body 1,000 calories or less works (and yes I do get adequate nutrition because I don't eat empty calories like most people tend to accidentally do)

Why would you want to eat less? And making your body adapt to low calories? You should be dieting on as many calories as possible! OP - If you don't have a lot to lose, doing it slowly with as much food as possible is better for your health in the long run

If you're not dieting and all you eat is 1000-1200 calories, I'd say you've been restricting calories for a long time and your bmr is ridiculously low. How do you know you get adequate nutrition?
  • jotind
    jotind Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My bmi is within a healthy range as it happens and i havent been restricting calories for a long time at all. Just have a stone id like to lose that found me over xmas is all. I dont count vegetables in my calorie intake and eat plenty of nutritious foods. I feel great
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    jotind wrote: »
    My bmi is within a healthy range as it happens and i havent been restricting calories for a long time at all. Just have a stone id like to lose that found me over xmas is all. I dont count vegetables in my calorie intake and eat plenty of nutritious foods. I feel great

Why do you not count vegetables? They have calories don't they?
  • jotind
    Options
    I did weight watchers years ago and that was based on a point system which equates to calorie counting but vegetables were free foods so we cud eat as much as we liked. It worked then cuz i lost 5 stone...it was 18 years ago and the same rule works now
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    I did weight watchers years ago and that was based on a point system which equates to calorie counting but vegetables were free foods so we cud eat as much as we liked. It worked then cuz i lost 5 stone...it was 18 years ago and the same rule works now

It worked then because you were in a caloric deficit. It's not hard to eat hundreds of calories of fruit and vegetables.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Lol i feel great after reading that! Im having around 1450 now..cheers for advice

great

very, very few people should be only consuming 1200 a day
  • Sued0nim
    Options

this isn't weightwatchers - they adjust the points to allow for free vegetables

you will be fine at the start but when you get nearer to goal and have a lower defecit it will begin to matter

as you're looking to judge portion sizes appropriately I would recommend logging your vegetables and fruit (fruit can be very calorific)
  • My_Butt
    Options

I understand that. I know of quite a few diets that allow unlimited amounts of vegetables since they're very low in calories. I wouldnt worry about what everyone else is saying here. Do what you want to and see if it works over time. Everyone is different.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »

I understand that. I know of quite a few diets that allow unlimited amounts of vegetables since they're very low in calories. I wouldnt worry about what everyone else is saying here. Do what you want to and see if it works over time. Everyone is different.

Not so much - if you eat so many vegetables that you lose your calorie defecit you will not lose weight - everybody is the same
  • DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Eat too few calories will put your body in starvation mode and put fats into your body again - slows down your metabolism.
  • My_Butt
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Not so much - if you eat so many vegetables that you lose your calorie defecit you will not lose weight - everybody is the same[\b]

No.... They're not. Hence the reason everyone has different calorie goals.

I was trying to ignore you since I remember seeing you in a thread that was eventually closed because of the irritating 'know-it-all' comments.

Nobody has to diet the same. And if you can eat enough vegetables throughout the day that topples over 1700 calories, then that person is eating nonstop. Veggies are super low in calories.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Not so much - if you eat so many vegetables that you lose your calorie defecit you will not lose weight - everybody is the same[\b]

No.... They're not. Hence the reason everyone has different calorie goals.

I was trying to ignore you since I remember seeing you in a thread that was eventually closed because of the irritating 'know-it-all' comments.

Nobody has to diet the same. And if you can eat enough vegetables throughout the day that topples over 1700 calories, then that person is eating nonstop. Veggies are super low in calories.

She didn't mean that everyone has to diet the same. She just meant that for everyone, if you eat more calories than you burn, you won't lose weight. And it is possible to do that on vegetables. It's just science.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    i struggled alot staying at 1200 cals for the first three months then i upped it by 100 every month , iam almost done with month 6 moving into month 7 eating 1550 cals normally >>>and losing weight even better than what i was when i ate that little ~1200 <~ & also i just feel so much better overall
  • jotind
    Options
    Such enthusiastic responses. 1.i didnt choose calories the app did based on weight and height.2. Lighten up
    3.what works for me may not work for you..it doesnt mean its wrong.
    5.have a good day