did anyone else get super emotional

Options
while losing weight?

I've been on my weight loss journey for a few weeks now and I CANT STOP CRYING! my face is breaking out and I'm super emotional.
I assume its because I've been obese and ate bad so long that my body and hormones are adapting to the changes, but I hate it! haha

Anyone else getting this?!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    None of your damned business!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    nope...sorry. I know tho that when people are making big changes it can get emotional for them...it's when you are ready for it but still sort of fighting it and it comes out as emotions....I've seen it a lot in my son as he goes from one stage of adulthood to another (he doesn't cry tho he's a man)...
  • tthoma5201
    tthoma5201 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Not crying but my mom says she can always tell that I am watching what I eat because I get grouchy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    tthoma5201 wrote: »
    Not crying but my mom says she can always tell that I am watching what I eat because I get grouchy.

tell it's called hangry.... ;)

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    No.

You aren't pregnant, are you?
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Nope I am sorry I have not gotten emotional either but I have heard of this before :) You are doing an amazing thing for you and your body so keep it up! :)
  • zilannoj
    zilannoj Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was more emotional months into losing weight, mostly in a good way. I mainly felt overwhelmed when I first starting tracking my meals and exercising. I sometimes felt too anxious to eat and worried that I was eating the wrong things or that I wouldn't progress. Looking back, I realize that was natural. I was forming new habits and once I learned how to balance it all, it just feels like life.

Do you know why you're feeling emotional? Are you worried about your progress or the food you're eating? Do you feel overwhelmed? If you're patient with yourself and keep yourself accountable, those feelings will pass. You'll realize you're capable of doing this. What I learned was not to try and do too much at once. I mastered one thing I knew I could do and then moved onto something else.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I switched to a progesterone-only birth control and started feeling the way you're describing. Restricted calories makes it worse for sure, I have less energy to cope, and being hungry make me ridiculously crabby. But restricted calories alone don't cause me to get emotional. Have you had any medication changes lately, or have you ever had depression?
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    No.

ha, that was my first thought when I read the OP lol.
  • courtneyallisonatx
    courtneyallisonatx Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    No.

HAHAHA
    no, I'm not pregnant

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Last time I cut I was eating McDonalds, Burger King etc about 3-4 days a week. To fit this into my macros left me VERY hungry most days. I would get angry easily, have mood swings and even on a few occasions get close to punching close friends just because they were annoying me.

This time now I'm having foods that fill me up more. I've also decided to try less carbs and more fat, which my body seems to respond better to. My general mood now is all round calm and happy :)
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I got very emotional the second month because I was no longer using binge eating and compulsive eating as a coping mechanism. That definitely took some adjustment. I'm still struggling to learn to deal with my emotions in a more healthy manner, but I've definitely adjusted from the constant mood swings that plagued me for nearly a month straight. I'm not too sure if that's along the lines you meant!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It's a huge change, that's actually made up of a lot of changes, both physical and mental, so I do think it's common to have emotional reactions. Will depend on the individual what that actually looks like, how long it lasts, etc.

Since it's been a few weeks, it's probably not the initial adaptation to the deficit. Do you notice any triggers? Certain kinds of hunger, certain times of the day, after certain meals or snacks, if you're low on fat (or carbs or protein) for the day, etc?

Have you been moving more? That can sometimes help stabilize emotions.

Is your target 1200? Do you always hit that, and also eat back exercise calories? If you look under reports, are you regularly netting below 1200? Make sure you NET 1200 as a minimum. If MFP has set you to 1200 and you hate going over, set a custom at 1300 and try to stay between 1200 and 1300 (net, though!).*

*Start by eating back 50 or 75% of exercise cals. Sometimes the burns are inflated, so eating them all can be a problem.

Have you noticed any fixes? A small snack, eating more regularly, eating breakfast later, certain meals and snacks that don't trigger it, etc.

You may also have been unlucky enough to start your lifestyle change after your last period. So you had a couple weeks of adjusting to the deficit, and now you're starting your first PMS on a deficit. Yay!

If it keeps happening and doesn't get better, and you've definitely gotten past at least one period (or you just can't take it anymore) then experiment with upping your calorie goal. Doesn't have to be much (maybe 100) or could be a whole 0.5 lb notch (aka 250).
  • courtneyallisonatx
    Options
    I was more emotional months into losing weight, mostly in a good way. I mainly felt overwhelmed when I first starting tracking my meals and exercising. I sometimes felt too anxious to eat and worried that I was eating the wrong things or that I wouldn't progress. Looking back, I realize that was natural. I was forming new habits and once I learned how to balance it all, it just feels like life.

Do you know why you're feeling emotional? Are you worried about your progress or the food you're eating? Do you feel overwhelmed? If you're patient with yourself and keep yourself accountable, those feelings will pass. You'll realize you're capable of doing this. What I learned was not to try and do too much at once. I mastered one thing I knew I could do and then moved onto something else.

I honestly have no idea why I'm crying or emotional, it just happens. I will say thinking about my calories and workout plans consume much of my thoughts. This is just a drastic life change for me, I assume this is why I'm an endless well of emotions haha
  • courtneyallisonatx
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »
    Last time I cut I was eating McDonalds, Burger King etc about 3-4 days a week. To fit this into my macros left me VERY hungry most days. I would get angry easily, have mood swings and even on a few occasions get close to punching close friends just because they were annoying me.

This time now I'm having foods that fill me up more. I've also decided to try less carbs and more fat, which my body seems to respond better to. My general mood now is all round calm and happy :)

The food doesn't seem to be a problem for me, I eat what I'm supposed to, my diary is open if you'd like to look.
    I never get hangry. its more just an overall emotion, maybe from thinking about what I have ahead of me. Not sure.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »

That's good man...certain types of food does seem to affect your mood aside from your body.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Huh. You're describing what happened to me when I started birth control. I can't say I've experienced those symptoms due to weight loss.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    while losing weight?

I've been on my weight loss journey for a few weeks now and I CANT STOP CRYING! my face is breaking out and I'm super emotional.
    I assume its because I've been obese and ate bad so long that my body and hormones are adapting to the changes, but I hate it! haha

Anyone else getting this?!

A couple of years ago, I was doing Zumba in my living room and my husband made a smart-alecky comment about Zumba and I got sooo mad at him that I threw my Wii Remote at him... :smiley: - So yea, I'd say I've gotten a bit emotional!!! :smiley:
  • courtneyallisonatx
    Options
    It's a huge change, that's actually made up of a lot of changes, both physical and mental, so I do think it's common to have emotional reactions. Will depend on the individual what that actually looks like, how long it lasts, etc.

Since it's been a few weeks, it's probably not the initial adaptation to the deficit. Do you notice any triggers? Certain kinds of hunger, certain times of the day, after certain meals or snacks, if you're low on fat (or carbs or protein) for the day, etc?

Have you been moving more? That can sometimes help stabilize emotions.

Is your target 1200? Do you always hit that, and also eat back exercise calories? If you look under reports, are you regularly netting below 1200? Make sure you NET 1200 as a minimum. If MFP has set you to 1200 and you hate going over, set a custom at 1300 and try to stay between 1200 and 1300 (net, though!).*

*Start by eating back 50 or 75% of exercise cals. Sometimes the burns are inflated, so eating them all can be a problem.

Have you noticed any fixes? A small snack, eating more regularly, eating breakfast later, certain meals and snacks that don't trigger it, etc.

You may also have been unlucky enough to start your lifestyle change after your last period. So you had a couple weeks of adjusting to the deficit, and now you're starting your first PMS on a deficit. Yay!

If it keeps happening and doesn't get better, and you've definitely gotten past at least one period (or you just can't take it anymore) then experiment with upping your calorie goal. Doesn't have to be much (maybe 100) or could be a whole 0.5 lb notch (aka 250).

My dairy is open if you wanted to look, I exercise every day, eat just below my calories most days.

but now that you mention it, its about that time of the month for my "shark week"
    I THOUGHT I WAS GOING CRAZY!

hahah

good lord, I feel stupid.