How many days for cardio vs lifting if your goal is fat loss?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
I've heard that BOTH lifting and cardio is what I need to do for max fat loss but how much of each? I'm currently doing insanity and will be done is another month. Not sure what to do next but I do want to do some lifting as well as continue with my cardio.

Thanks!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a strong preference between them I'd start with a 50/50 mix. As you progress you may lean more one way and even then you might change course over time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.

Both lifting and cardio should be done as part of a good, well rounded fitness regimen. You burn fat when you consume less energy than is required to maintain the status quot...it is at that point that you burn fat to make up the energy deficit...fat is just stored energy.

I have lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight all while doing all manner of training and exercise...the difference between those three weight control objectives was my intake, not the exercise I was doing.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Both lifting and cardio should be done as part of a good, well rounded fitness regimen. You burn fat when you consume less energy than is required to maintain the status quot...it is at that point that you burn fat to make up the energy deficit...fat is just stored energy.

I have lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight all while doing all manner of training and exercise...the difference between those three weight control objectives was my intake, not the exercise I was doing.
    Exactly this!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Lisa1971 wrote: »
    I've heard that BOTH lifting and cardio is what I need to do for max fat loss but how much of each?

There's no mention of diet in your post. You could literally be in a coma and feed by a tube and achieve "maximum fat loss" - it's not exercise that's going to achieve this.
  • tamiesue2
    tamiesue2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use bodybuilding dot com for my workout plan, right now I'm doing lee Labrada, 7 days a week, two cardio only and two that are both weights and cardio, three days wrights only
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • k35cunning
    k35cunning Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

thank you for the insights- simply put, but very helpful
  • DeterminedBexxx
    DeterminedBexxx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    diet is key- you cant out train a bad diet, but cardio needs to be done as well as lifting. I do both in my session- weights first so my energy is used for that, cardio after 4x a week.