5am workout?

Options
Are their any benefits to working out super early like 5am?
Would I be crazy for going that early?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Are their any benefits to working out super early like 5am?
    Would I be crazy for going that early?

Why would it matter? Don't a lot of people work out before going into work?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Go for it. :) I sleep much later than that so I cannot even imagine how that would work.
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    If it gets the job done - why not??? THe best time is surely the time that suits you?

I am not able to exercise at mo - but I will starting off early. just to get it done, get it out the way and, for me, see how it affects the rest of my day........
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I go everyday at 5 a.m. The benefit is "GET ER DONE"!
  • jeannettemancini
    jeannettemancini Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5:30. Works for me. If I don't do it first thing it basically doesn't get done.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    If you are able to function at that hour, good for you.
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i love working out that early.. wakes you up, just make sure u get enough hours of sleep in otherwise you'll come crashing early afternoon!!
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Didn't make it to the Gym. OPPPS :)
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I go everyday at 5:30, except on weekends because the gym doesn't open that early. I like getting it done before work. That being said, go whatever time works for you.
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I go at about 6am because if it's the FIRST thing I do in a day, then I'm not able to blow it off, like I would after work or something. Plus, then I'm too tired to realize I'm actually working out.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I do early morning workouts before I'm awake enough to talk myself out of it. ;)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm a first thing in the morning type too. There's no benefit other than it being what works best for me. My energy levels are higher in the morning.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I do my insanity at 6am so I'm done before the kids wake up!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It just depends; if you are a morning person, that could be fabulous. If you are a night owl like me, forget it lol. I work out at 8 PM.
  • tjcalley
    tjcalley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I get to the gym at 5:30am. It's easier for me to go before work :smile:
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    When I workout before work, which is rare, I get up at 3:30AM. So no, working out at 5AM isn't crazy.

As for the benefits, if that's the only time you can go you'll benefit greatly. The scientific evidence that you burn more fat working out first thing in the AM is inconclusive, so if you're looking for that benefit you may not find it.
  • tanklifetj
    tanklifetj Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of advantages to working out early, but also some serious dangers in it. I don't know your complete health profile, so spouting off about cardiovascular risk increases, risks for diabetics and forcing your muscles to work without proper fuel(if you workout before breakfast), are all moot points.

If you're looking to burn fat, an early morning workout may be great. If you're looking to build and tone muscle, it is best to have proper fuel from a good breakfast before hitting the gym. If you're curious about a peak workout time, then monitor yourself and find out which time best fits your habits. Maybe 5am is right for you, maybe 5pm is better for you. But there's no blanket answer.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I work out around 5:45-6. This week has been wonky and I worked out at 10:30 last night instead. The only differences I note are: 1. I'm already awake and my muscles are already warmed up, so the lifting seemed a little less difficult to me last night than they are in the wee hours of the morning. 2. I got sort of sick feeling last night after running/working out. I don't know why, but I don't have that problem in the morning. 3. I prefer the morning for only two reasons: I get through the work out and it's done for the day and if I put it off until the evening the chance of it not happening is much higher (family life/getting tired, etc.). If you don't have a problem with 5am, do it. I do early because it fits my life best and doesn't intrude on family time.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Didn't make it to the Gym. OPPPS :)

In that case, maybe 5am isn't for you. Ha!