Soreness after weights session

Options
Ok,

So I don't get sore after glute day!! I feel the burn during my workout and glutes are on fire but as soon as the set is finished it goes away.

I keep hearing " make sure you leave the gym with your glutes on fire" but it is not happening for me regardless of sets, reps, weight, exercises etc. hip thrust weight is 62kg so I think I'm lifting heavy for me.

I also get no DOMS in that area! I do in my legs and upper body regularly.

Does this mean I am not doing enough or I just shouldn't worry.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry. DOMS or lack thereof is not indicative of workout efficacy.
  • eboniivoried
    eboniivoried Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jemhh, but I have to say I do love feeling the DOMS!
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You have a day dedicated to glutes?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    DOMS is not an absolute indicator. Some muscles just recover faster than others (genetics). If you’re progressively increasing the weight and maintaining good form, you’re on the right path. Enjoy!
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    DOMS is overrated. If you're doing hip thrusts and it's burning, you're doing it right.

So jealous btw. I'm just starting to work up toward hip thrusts w a bar, and I'm totally impatient!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    kikichewie wrote: »
    DOMS is overrated.

???

What do you mean?
  • kikichewie
    Options
    joejccva71 wrote: »
    DOMS is overrated.

???

What do you mean?

I mean that muscle soreness is not necessary the only indicator of an effective workout. People can injure themselves if they think that they need to be sore after every single weightlifting session or other workout. Granted, I enjoy a bit of DOMS here and there. I think we all do. But it's overrated.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    joejccva71 wrote: »
    DOMS is overrated.

???

What do you mean?

I mean that muscle soreness is not necessary the only indicator of an effective workout. People can injure themselves if they think that they need to be sore after every single weightlifting session or other workout. Granted, I enjoy a bit of DOMS here and there. I think we all do. But it's overrated.

Ah okay cool.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't get DOMS unless I'm switching splits & adding different movements to the routine, which only happens every 12-18 weeks for me -OR- if I take a week off (unactive deload) to let the CNS recover a bit. DOMS aren't at all indicative of training, more so lack thereof in the past. New lifters get sore frequently, however, but after some time, it fades AND SHOULD. Our muscles recover quicker once they're used to training.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that muscle soreness is calories still burning off after you stopped your workout...keep it up
  • kikichewie
    Options
    Just keep in mind that muscle soreness is calories still burning off after you stopped your workout...keep it up

No it's not.
  • joejccva71
    Options

Where did you get this from? lol

Such false information.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I've heard that eccentric motions are more likely to result in DOMS. If that is true, then I would think lowering the weight slowly during hip thrusts would be the key to feeling the soreness. It might take some practice to make sure your glutes stay activated during the whole process.
  • Daisy253
    Daisy253 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »
    You have a day dedicated to glutes?

Not as such, it's leg day with emphasis on the glutes.

I do make sure I lower the hip thrusts slowly and it burns at the time under tension. I know DOMS is not an indicator of progress really but It does feel good when it happens!!!

Thanks for everyone's replies. Will keep on going and see what happens over the next few sessions.