Tofu Frying Question

Options
How do you fry your tofu? Do you use an omelet pan, saute pan, wok or deep fryer? And do you press the tofu before you fry it, or just drain it and fry it?

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I've never actually fried tofu yet (just baked in the oven).

Always drain and press the excess water out. I usually take the block out of the container and slice. I than layer it on a plate on top of a towel, put another towel on top and than another plate. Depending on the thickness of slices I end up having a few plates stacked on top of each other. I put it in the fridge with something heavy on the top plate and leave it overnight normally. I find it gets pretty much all the liquid out.

I'm not fond of the texture without the water being removed ... or at least a large amount of it so that's why I press it the way I do.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Drain first, then allow it to firm up by salting it, letting it sit at room temp for about an hour. The salt will suck extra moisture out of the tofu (Moisture + hot oil = disaster), it will also lightly season the tofu itself. Dab with paper towel to remove salt/moisture accumulated on the outside, then slice into 0.5 inch thick bricks or a cube and sautee. There will be splatter. A splatter guard is advisable.

Fry pans work well. Putting the tofu into a deep fryer gets you a completely different kind of tofu when it comes out. So I would not advise that unless you want a very fatty piece of tofu.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I drain and press it, between 2 towels. But I don't usually let it sit, just press it with my hands. But I usually soak it in reduced sodium soy sauce before I fry it so it's still usually not dry when I fry it. I fry it in a small saucepan with just enough oil to cover it. I don't own a deep fryer, or I'd use it.

For a stir fry I just drain it, press it, chop it and toss in with everything else.
  • TheHorribleBlob
    TheHorribleBlob Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I must be doing something wrong. It tends to come out more chewy than crispy after I fry it. I use a fry pan and fry it with medium-low heat.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I must be doing something wrong. It tends to come out more chewy than crispy after I fry it. I use a fry pan and fry it with medium-low heat.

Putting bread crumbs, flour, cornstarch, etc on the outside can help with it being crispy. I've noticed if I don't get most of the liquid out it doesn't get crispy.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Maybe try turning up the heat, using thinner pieces of tofu, and cooking it quickly? I use coconut oil in a frying pan. Mine always comes out somewhat chewy but I like it that way. In my experience deep frying makes it cripsy, not chewy, so you could try that, but that is not my preferred cooking method.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Putting bread crumbs, flour, cornstarch, etc on the outside can help with it being crispy. I've noticed if I don't get most of the liquid out it doesn't get crispy.

Yes, I toss mine in corn starch before frying, and I usually fry in peanut oil at a fairly high heat. Lower heat might let it absorb some of the oil which might make it chewy.
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    mmmmmmm tofuuuu... one of my weaknesses! I can eat 2 boxes of tofu in one sitting...

for baking or frying ill use firm or extra firm tofu, cut the block in half and then slice the 2 halves in 1/4 inch slices. ill press the slices with my hands between some paper towels when im ready to cook them up.

baked tofu ill preheat my oven to 400 degrees, spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and bake the slices for 20-30 min, flipping halfway thru. keep an eye on it though because it can easily turn into tofu "jerky". season with salt when they come out of the oven.

frying ill just use a little oil or a few sprays of cooking spray on med-high heat. make sure the pan is hot, then start frying. try not to move around your tofu, if it sticks, let it naturally unstick by leaving it alone for a minute (think fish). when its golden brown flip and cook the other side. mine usually take 3-4 min per side. drain on paper towels and season with a bit salt.

now I go must make tofu to satiate the beast you've awakened...
  • TheHorribleBlob
    TheHorribleBlob Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'll try frying it in higher heat and see how that goes. Thanks guys. :)
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    try baking it instead...less calories! =D
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I prefer to bake my tofu. I press it beforehand. I tried this recipe from shape.com and it was awesome:

Spicy Smoked Tofu
    84 calories, 4.6 grams sugar, 6.1 grams fat, 5.6 grams carbohydrates, 1.9 grams protein
    These slightly crispy bean curd strips get a smoky sweet flavor boost with a low-cal blend of sauces and spices. While you can serve them with kale and rice (as pictured), feel free to combine the tofu with other ingredients to round out a healthy, satisfying meal.

Ingredients:
    1 package extra-firm tofu
    1 1/2 tbsp. safflower oil
    1 1/2 tbsp. maple syrup
    1 tbsp. rice vinegar
    1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 – 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

Directions:
    Drain your tofu and cut into 8 equal slices. Lay the slices out flat on a doubled over kitchen towel with another doubled over towel on top. Lay a large cutting board on top and place a few heavy books on top. Press for 25 – 35 min. Preheat oven to broil with a rack on the top slats. Whisk all other ingredients together in a large bowl. Slice tofu into 1/4 in. wide strips or small squares. Place tofu in the large bowl with the wet ingredients and stir very gently until well coated. Lay tofu out on a parchment-lined pan and broil for four to eight minutes, until golden brown with slightly darker edges. Time varies depending on your oven. Flip and broil for another four to eight minutes until golden brown. Typically, the second side browns a bit faster. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.

Makes 3-4 servings
  • jem302
    jem302 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My trick is to stick the tofu straight into the freezer after I buy it, freeze it overnight then put it in the fridge. Gives it a meatier texture. Then I do what everyone else here is saying, wrap it in a dish towel and put something heavy over it, for at least an hour. Then I chop it into cubes and fry it like I would anything else in olive oil.