Lifting Newbie ???'s

Options
Hello folks,

So for the longest time, my strength training routine has only included yoga, body weight exercises, and classes at my gym that used 5-8 lb weights for a lot of reps. I learned from MFP forums and the internet, that this is not exactly the most efficient way of looking more "toned" (don't worry, I know that actually means squat in terms of how muscles look). So a few weeks ago I started my "heavy" lifting routine. I use weight machines like leg press, chest press, row machine, hip add/abduction, etc. etc. I feel like I'm starting to notice a difference in moving out a plateau (whether correctly or incorrectly), so I'm trying to keep up with it!

However, now I'm reading more stuff online and on MFP that's telling me free weights are the way to go over weight machines! Am I wasting my time on weight machines? I'm still too intimidated to get over to the free weight section of the gym partly out of fear of embarrassing myself and partly out of a complete lack of idea of what to do and where to start!

Any thoughts or expertise welcomed! Thank you :)

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    The basic way to get over the fear of embarrassment and such in the free weight area is just to go and do it anyways. And trust me, compared to me attempting to do one point dumbbell rows (balancing on one foot basically) or the one leg romanian deadlift with dumbbells, you probably won't look silly. Seriously, New Rules of Lifting for Women likes to make us do lifts on one foot for some reason... but I digress.

Find a book (new rules of lifting, starting strength, there area few options), research form and beginner programs, and if you can get a session with someone to help learn form on the basic lifts, do that. Move on from there and once you lift for a little while, you will feel more comfortable in the free weight area.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Get over it! I never felt a difference when I used machines but I sure see a difference using free weights!!
    Stronglifts, Strong Curves, NROLFW
    You will hate yourself for not starting yesterday?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    It's not a complete waste, but you need to get over your fear of the freeweight room. Lots of threads already exist on getting over the fear, so i won't rehash it. Just march in armed with knowledge - either a good program like NROLFW or Stronglifts, or, if possible, work with a good personal trainer.
    Soon you'll be spotting all the mistakes others make in the freeweight room! B)
  • eboniivoried
    eboniivoried Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I used to be afraid of free weights and DawnEmbers is correct in saying to just do it anyways. When I'm at the gym, I'm hyper-focused on counting reps and trying to maintain form, that I don't notice what the other gym goers are doing. When I realized that everyone else at the gym wasn't watching me, I relaxed and attempted one set of the free weights. Now I add multiple sets of various exercises to my workout routine all the time.

I suggest watching YouTube videos on how to perform various dumbbell exercises and ease into it until you're comfortable preforming the techniques. If you are not wanting your first time to be in front of the other gym members, fill up a couple milk jugs with water and try the exercise out at home. The best thing about free weights when compared to machines (in my opinion) is having more versatility.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Your not out of place. Plenty of overweight guys, women and older folk train in the free weight areas. Most are not "strong" either, so you don't need to feel weak, everyone starts with light weights. After just a few sessions you'll realise there is nothing to worry about.

Where to start: deadlifts, bench press, squats, dips and pull-ups. Many programs exist just search for it.

• lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Starting with the machines was perfect, it got you do start strength training. Learn more about different exercises you can do with the dumbbells and include one every time you do a ST session. I did that and now I do 90% dumbbells and few machine exercises. The challenge of figuring it out has been fun so far and keeps me motivated.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    First, the basic assumption is wrong: yoga, pilates, calisthenics and other body weight routines can build amazing bodies. I have seen this in real life, and googling a bit can verify it for you. If your only reason for changing your routine is that you read it is not effective, thsi is wrong. You might need a more advanced yoga class, or an advanced pilates class, or looking up some bodyweight routines, but if you love these things, they will get you to your goals. And they are usually both more effective and fun that most machines.
    That being said, if you want to lift because it sounds interesting, definitely this will help too. There is nothing to feel scared about, everyone was a beginner at some point. I fist walked into the weight room when I was a bit younger than you, which unfortuantely was 20 years ago. I remember feeling all these guys in there were so more knowledgable than me and I would not belong there. Obviously, no one made fun of me. And my older self can reassure you that many of these guys, really have no clue about what they are doing either. You cannot imagine hoe many just look confident, probably are too embarassed to ask for directions, and end up doing pretty much every exercise wrong ;) And no one makes fun of them, it is part of the learning process.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    It used to be that to learn to lift, you had to go to a gym and sort of dive in. That could be pretty intimidating. Now you have access to so many videos, websites, tutorials, online programs, etc. Take advantage of that and check out some of the more common lifts/programs. Then you'll at least have an idea of what you want to do and how to use the equipment. Nothing is going to beat actually grabbing the bar and working out, but at least you won't be going in cold turkey and feeling like you don't have a clue as to how to start.

As someone who is now ready to go back to the gym after a long, long absence (decades), I sympathize with you. Times sure have changed! Personally, I used to use a combination of machines and free weights and that's what I'm aiming to do again. Both have advantages and disadvantages but they both work well if used correctly.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Hello folks,

So for the longest time, my strength training routine has only included yoga, body weight exercises, and classes at my gym that used 5-8 lb weights for a lot of reps. I learned from MFP forums and the internet, that this is not exactly the most efficient way of looking more "toned" (don't worry, I know that actually means squat in terms of how muscles look). So a few weeks ago I started my "heavy" lifting routine. I use weight machines like leg press, chest press, row machine, hip add/abduction, etc. etc. I feel like I'm starting to notice a difference in moving out a plateau (whether correctly or incorrectly), so I'm trying to keep up with it!

However, now I'm reading more stuff online and on MFP that's telling me free weights are the way to go over weight machines! Am I wasting my time on weight machines? I'm still too intimidated to get over to the free weight section of the gym partly out of fear of embarrassing myself and partly out of a complete lack of idea of what to do and where to start!

Any thoughts or expertise welcomed! Thank you :)

Machines have their place, but yes, free weights do have many advantages over them. I’d recommend reading the book New Rules of Lifting for Women or going to the site stronglfits.com. Get familiar with those programs, then go hit the free weight section with a plan.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't think machines are a waste of time, as you can build strength that way. However I can tell you that I did machines in college for years and never saw a real transformation in the way I looked. With free weights the results came much faster.

I agree with the others that the only way to really get over being scared of the free weights is to just do it. Get a friend to go with you. I got my husband to go with me the first time, because even though he hates to lift he had at least done it before. You can practice form at home first with a broom handle so you know what to do when you get there, and then just remember that you've got as much right to be there as anyone else. Personally I've always found the inhabitants of the free weights section to be very courteous and helpful. The few who weren't were in the small minority and easy to ignore.
  • KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For a complete beginner you can't go wrong with Starting Strength, or if you don't want to be squatting 3x a week (say, for example, because you're eating at a deficit) there's plenty of Crossfit-style programmes (like Justin Lascek's S&C/CFWF template) that can get you started at a more moderate pace.

I always tell people to look at getting into free weights like it's learning to drive again. Initially you're uncoordinated (dangerous even), nervous & excited in equal measure, but you've got your safety nets there designed to minimise or eliminate all the risks. Once you build up your confidence, get into the groove, your muscle memory takes over and you don't even think of what you're doing any more... it's natural, it's ingrained... and every single person starts from that same point.