the best way to lose

Options
Can anyone suggest anything they've done or taken, and actually seen results? I'm honestly not motivated to work out. But if i could change done eating habits, or drink or eat something that helps... please let me know! I've tried a few different things. I'll lose a couple pounds, get excited, and they come right back! So I'm defiantly open to any suggestions/help!
Thank you!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    There are no magic pills, just hard work. If there were a simple shortcut, there wouldn't be the obesity issue. You don't have to work out, but it can help, really, you just need to eat less than you burn on a daily basis.

Have a read of this thread (or at least, the first post)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Can anyone suggest anything they've done or taken, and actually seen results? I'm honestly not motivated to work out. But if i could change done eating habits, or drink or eat something that helps... please let me know! I've tried a few different things. I'll lose a couple pounds, get excited, and they come right back! So I'm defiantly open to any suggestions/help!
    Thank you!

Eat less, move more
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    tl;dr you want the results without putting the effort in.

Tell me when in life that EVER works.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

so .. you're looking for a supplement that makes it easy? or a routine that has no effort

in a year's time you can have the latter

but right now, nope .. no quick fixes

eat at a calorie defecit, work out what foods and portion sizes fit your lifestyle, what your go-to foods are

you can choose to more more if you want, if you choose to lift heavy the body you will end up with by losing the BF through your diet will be exponentially better

so ... my suggestion to you .. stop looking for an easy out and commit to yourself .. or resign yourself to whatever you have now
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    As others have noted, there are no quick fixes. Sure there are many supplements on the market but those are made to assist with weight loss efforts. Key word being assist. It takes hard work, focus and discipline... and time. If you want real results that you can be proud of than make the effort. You'll feel good about yourself when you get results!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,185 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me is eating less than I burn. CI<CO.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    As others have noted, there are no quick fixes. Sure there are many supplements on the market but those are made to assist with weight loss efforts. Key word being assist. It takes hard work, focus and discipline... and time. If you want real results that you can be proud of than make the effort. You'll feel good about yourself when you get results!

Not really - they are made to make money from insecure and impatient people.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The easiest way is to simply reduce the amount of calories you are eating. If you eat less than you use you will lose weight. Let mfp work it out for you.

If it helps. I have lost 15lbs so far and now really enjoy exercise. I hated it before, but it's a lot easier now I'm not as heavy.
  • WotsTheCraic
    WotsTheCraic Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    you need to establish how many calories your body is burning per day on average ... (i use a Fitbit and it shows calories burned), then its simply a matter of eating less than your burn.

trust me, once your metabolism is faster and you see results / feel the benifits you will want to work out a little, maybe even more than a little.

as a start calorie deficit and eating the correct foods (greens, greens and more greens) will set you up for great progress.

As an example here is a screenshot of my fitbit from today - notice the calories in vs out (i did a lot of driving today and wasnt active in terms of steps walked), i also use a heartrate monitor at the gym for correct calorie burn data.

hope this helps.

cheers,

Craic

Screenshot_2015-04-24-23-02-29.jpg
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    The most effective ways to lose is to learn about proper nutrition and then eat fewer calories while maintaining a good nutritional balance. I'm not on a diet. I am choosing to eat much better and less. You will be able to do this if you are using food to medicate emotional issues. If you are doing that then you have to address those issues some other way. Counseling helps you get to what is eating you do you don't eat so much.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,185 Member
    Options
    The easiest way is to simply reduce the amount of calories you are eating. If you eat less than you use you will lose weight. Let mfp work it out for you.

This ^^

I have used several different sites and programs similar to this, but I have been impressed with MFP. It's easy to use and quite straightforward. I've been following it for a little over 2 months with excellent results.

• movegrooveandwatchthefood
    Options
    You must get tired of how you feel physically and mentally because of your health and then something will just click and the rest will be history.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    You must get tired of how you feel physically and mentally because of your health and then something will just click and the rest will be history.

^ This. So much this.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    faithfuller21, there IS no magic bullet. You lose weight the same way you gained it... one pound at a time, and by virtue of how much you eat, not which faux magic wand pill does or does not work. You didn't take a magic gain weight pill and there is no magic lose weight pill either.

It's not something that is going to happen overnight. But, once you achieve your goal, it may well seem like it!

Now, that being said, there will be people who swear by this or that to make them lose ten pounds a week or some such nonsense. Unless you're 300#++ that's a really... REALLY bad way to do it. And even at that, it's a more than a little aggressive target range! Under ordinary circumstances, you lose weight through hard work - diet control and exercise. And, generally speaking, you should lose weight based on a percentage of total body weight vs height. (Obviously, you are 6' 8" you can healthfully carry substantially more body weight than if you are 5'4".)

Realistically, if you want to keep your body healthy, you should not be losing more than 1% of total body weight per week. (And, although we all really lose weight to look good - right? - we must also constantly be aware that, losing it the wrong way is not and will not be healthy for us. And doing it that way WON'T make us look good. It will only make us look, and be, sickly and definitely UN-healthy.) So that means, if you are female; weighing 196; but are only 5'2", you probably should not be losing more than a pound to a pound and a half per week.

I can hear it now. "OMG! That's not right. It'd take forever!" Well, not forever but certainly a long time. But, if you lose too much too fast, your body is going to 'rebel' in a manner of speaking. The faster you lose it, the more likely you are to experience rebound weight gain. Give your body a chance to adjust along the way and you not only will find the 'journey' easier but you will be far more likely to keep the weight off for the long haul.

So, is there a magic bullet to help you lose weight? YES! But it's that thing sitting on your shoulders, balanced on your neck. And either you listen to the reason that is there or you allow yourself to be seduced by the promise of an 'easy out'.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    There is no one who hated exercise and gym class more than I used to. But working out was the major factor in my change. My eating habits weren't THAT bad, but I was eating just a little too much for my activity level.

What I found was that when I'm exercising regularly, I can eat pretty much whatever I damn want and still lose. And exercise makes me feel better, physically and emotionally, so I'm less likely to overeat things I shouldn't. For instance, I'll still have chocolate, but I won't polish off a bag of Butterfingers in one sitting.

So... tough love time.... big deal. You don't like exercise. Suck it up. :D There's lots of things in life that you're not going to like doing - paying bills, doing taxes, shoveling snow, scooping the catbox - but are necessary. I don't like cleaning the litterbox, but if I don't, my house will stink and the cats will pee on my bed in disgust. I don't (always) like exercise, but if I don't, I can't eat the way I want and my body won't look like I want.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    There is no one who hated exercise and gym class more than I used to. But working out was the major factor in my change. My eating habits weren't THAT bad, but I was eating just a little too much for my activity level.

What I found was that when I'm exercising regularly, I can eat pretty much whatever I damn want and still lose. And exercise makes me feel better, physically and emotionally, so I'm less likely to overeat things I shouldn't. For instance, I'll still have chocolate, but I won't polish off a bag of Butterfingers in one sitting.

So... tough love time.... big deal. You don't like exercise. Suck it up. :D There's lots of things in life that you're not going to like doing - paying bills, doing taxes, shoveling snow, scooping the catbox - but are necessary. I don't like cleaning the litterbox, but if I don't, my house will stink and the cats will pee on my bed in disgust. I don't (always) like exercise, but if I don't, I can't eat the way I want and my body won't look like I want.

THIS. THIS. THIS.
    Gosh darn it, girl! Where's your <LIKE> button? On the TARDIS? lol
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Eat less than your body uses to sustain life, also known as eating at a deficit.

There is no magic pill or potion.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

Dear Boss,

I'd like to be paid more money, however I want to do hardly anything at all at the same time. Can I get a raise by only doing the bar minimum to keep my job?

Thanks Faith

Dear Faith,

Do you really feel that I would give you a raise by you only doing the bare minimum? Welcome to life it takes hard work to get the things you want. If you're not willing to put in the work you'll never go anywhere in life or this company.

Regards,
    Boss