5ft4 ladies...how do you maintain?

Options
Hey all!

This seems like a friend group so just wanted to throw my question out there...

I've been losing weight on 1500 but recently got over excited and tried 1200. Massively regretted it as it's just too extreme for me.

So I went back to eating 1500...it's only been a day and I've gained a pound and a bit!!

Forgive me, I now think having read some of your discussions I was maybe supposed to ease back into it? I guess I just thought as I'd only been on 1200 for a few weeks it would be ok...

So yeah, I know this is maintenance but I basically want to maintain for a week or so (fertility treatment, want to eat a bit more until I know I'm not pregnant) and then after this next couple of weeks I can crack back on with weight loss. I don't have a lot left to lose...5-8lb till I'm in healthy category. I really don't wanna mess it all up now.

Any advice and support is so much appreciated! Xxxx

Replies

• maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I lose on 1500. Maybe more slowly now, but it will still happen. I have a feeling your pound weight gain might just be a sodium/hydration=related gain, because gaining on 1500 is just.....silly. 1lb=3,500ish calories. That would mean that for you eating like two days a week, you're just putting on straight poundage (assuming you're weighing and measuring your food properly!)m ;)

I maintain on 1800 calories, sometimes a little more. But I had to slowly eat my way up to 1800 over the span of a month or so.

Just give it more time, the scale will always catch up to your efforts. :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and I still haven't figured out exactly where I need to be eating to maintain. I'm still trying to lose..but I'll have to put some effort into figuring that out eventually.

oh and maintenance levels are probably going to be different for everyone based on weight, muscle density and metabolism, so asking people probably won't help much. :*
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for about a year now with an average calorie intake around 1500 a day. Your age and fitness levels will impact this so there is no magic number for the masses. You could set your loss to .5 per week to adjust for those last few pounds no need to switch right to maintenance.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I lose on 1500 also. 1900 is the magic number for me, but I use a weekly average. I'm 5'4 111 pounds and very active (5-6 days a week in the gym).
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and I maintain on 1900
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    When you bump up your calories (especially if the increase is mostly carbs) it's normal to gain a pound or two of water weight. No big deal.

Personally I'm 5'4", 123-125 lbs, and I can maintain on anything from 1600 to 2300 calories, depending on how active I am.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    5'4" 115 lbs (46 years old) and maintain 1400. I lift 3 days and cardio 3 days. Anything 1500 and over I gain weight faster than you can say calorie deficit. LOL
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    5'4", 133 lbs. I lose on 1500, if I'm being careful and it's a true 1500 with no extra licks.

I'm slowly getting into maintenance, so not sure where it will be. MFP gives me 1850. This week I'll average 1700. Next week I'll average 1800. I'm lifting 4 days a week but have pretty much stopped all cardio, as I'm trying to see how little I have to do, while still feeling like I can eat enough food. It'd be amazing if I could get 1900 without it but I'd be really surprised.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Babykeys32 wrote: »
    Hey all!

This seems like a friend group so just wanted to throw my question out there...

I've been losing weight on 1500 but recently got over excited and tried 1200. Massively regretted it as it's just too extreme for me.

So I went back to eating 1500...it's only been a day and I've gained a pound and a bit!!

Forgive me, I now think having read some of your discussions I was maybe supposed to ease back into it? I guess I just thought as I'd only been on 1200 for a few weeks it would be ok...

So yeah, I know this is maintenance but I basically want to maintain for a week or so (fertility treatment, want to eat a bit more until I know I'm not pregnant) and then after this next couple of weeks I can crack back on with weight loss. I don't have a lot left to lose...5-8lb till I'm in healthy category. I really don't wanna mess it all up now.

Any advice and support is so much appreciated! Xxxx

It's probably been said already, but you didn't "gain a pound and a bit" from eating 300 more calories than the day before.

A lot of things contribute to weight fluctuation, and 3500~ calories is the equiv. of one lbs of fat gain/loss. Your metabolism very well might be slow enough that you can't lose on 1500, but don't over react to a small change on the scale.

• arditarose
    Options
    maddyk91 wrote: »
    I lose on 1500. Maybe more slowly now, but it will still happen. I have a feeling your pound weight gain might just be a sodium/hydration=related gain, because gaining on 1500 is just.....silly. 1lb=3,500ish calories. That would mean that for you eating like two days a week, you're just putting on straight poundage (assuming you're weighing and measuring your food properly!)m ;)

I maintain on 1800 calories, sometimes a little more. But I had to slowly eat my way up to 1800 over the span of a month or so.

Just give it more time, the scale will always catch up to your efforts. :)

I hope you don't mind if I ask, do you maintain on 1800 plus exercise, or do you use TDEE method?
  • Babykeys32
    Babykeys32 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks every one. I've made the decision to adjust my cals to 1500. This had always been the most sustainable calorie amount for me.

I guess only time will tell how that works out...I'm hoping that after the initial 1 or 2 pound "gain" I will start slowly losing again. If not, I'l know that if I wanna lose that extra weight I'l have to create a larger deficit!

I do have issues with this as I do have some interesting issues with food...(I know loads of people do) so that's why I just freaked out about gaining a lb! You guys have really helped tho.

Thanks!
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm late to respond but I'm 5'4.5. (I've been lying to myself for years thinking I was 5'5! I just measured my height!) I began my maintenance at 133 about 6 or 7 weeks ago. I'm 127 now. I jumped right up to eating 2000-2100ish calories. So I've lost 6 lb in that time frame. So my maintenance is obviously a little higher. My weight only went up a pound for a few days after increasing calories.

I do the tdee method as I find it a lot easier. Initially I didn't want to lose anymore weight because I didn't want to buy new clothes but the 6 lb didn't make a huge difference in inches. My muscles just look more defined, which is wonderful! I'm going to attempt to eat a bit more so it stabilizes.

I just wanted to chime in that you may be surprised what your maintenance actually is. Mine is way higher than I expected but I have a really muscular build, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Don't worry about what the scale tells you coming up. You're the only one who knows that number. Just worry about how to look to yourself and how you feel!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    @RosieRose7673 - Very interesting.
    What do you do for exercise?
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I eat ~1200 a day, which puts me at a 1000 calorie deficit a day and 2 pounds lost a week. I estimate my daily burn, using my fitbit and HRM, at 1900-2300 a day, so that should be my maintenance calories at this point. I think I average about 5 hours cardio a week because of my race training (running and cycling combined) and I lift 3 days a week for 30-45 minutes 8-10 reps per set.
  • RosieRose7673
    Options
    @ExRelaySprinter I do one day lower body lifts, one day upper body lifts and the third day, I run between 3-6 miles then repeat the schedule.

I don't have planned rest days but I do take a rest or lower the amount of cardio on cardio days when I feel needed. Probably averaging 6 days a week total.

When I lift, I always run a mile before as well. On lower body days, I'll do 20 min of uphill sprints/walks after everything. Upper body days, I may run an extra mile or two afterwards at a moderate pace, depending on how I feel.

It kind of sounds like a lot typing it out. But I used to do cross country and lift on and off a lot when I was younger. I've been back at it consistently for almost 10 months now so it just feels like part of my routine now.

Works for me!

Oh! I guess it's worth mentioning... All my running is done on a treadmill. I have bad knees and all the doc could say (when I saw him years ago), was to give up running on pavement. Treadmill is a little less impact on the joints.
  • 19SarahJayne85
    19SarahJayne85 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft4 and I can eat around 1200 calories a day but I can eat up to 1600 if i do my exercises I make sure I have good choice of food at hand. X
  • arditarose
    Options
    @ExRelaySprinter I do one day lower body lifts, one day upper body lifts and the third day, I run between 3-6 miles then repeat the schedule.

I don't have planned rest days but I do take a rest or lower the amount of cardio on cardio days when I feel needed. Probably averaging 6 days a week total.

When I lift, I always run a mile before as well. On lower body days, I'll do 20 min of uphill sprints/walks after everything. Upper body days, I may run an extra mile or two afterwards at a moderate pace, depending on how I feel.

It kind of sounds like a lot typing it out. But I used to do cross country and lift on and off a lot when I was younger. I've been back at it consistently for almost 10 months now so it just feels like part of my routine now.

Works for me!

Oh! I guess it's worth mentioning... All my running is done on a treadmill. I have bad knees and all the doc could say (when I saw him years ago), was to give up running on pavement. Treadmill is a little less impact on the joints.

Our height and weight is the same, but there's no way I could maintain on 2100+. But I also do no cardio. Sometimes I wish I liked it...because food.
  • RosieRose7673
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Works for me!

Our height and weight is the same, but there's no way I could maintain on 2100+. But I also do no cardio. Sometimes I wish I liked it...because food.

Lol yes. The cardio probably helps a lot!

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Works for me!

Lol yes. The cardio probably helps a lot!

Wow, you do A LOT! Lol
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'll be hitting about 1800 calories this week, which will be the low estimate for maintenance. I wasn't losing on 1550, so I don't have high hopes for being able to eat much more than that. The most I'm ever going to cardio is an hour a week, which is like a negligible amount of calories so I don't even know if it's worth it.