Injured Rib -- Rode Recumbent Bike

robinmarkz
robinmarkz Posts: 93 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Somehow, I severely injured a rib. No idea how but I do have premature osteoporosis. So it could be spontaneous.

Anyway to my query.

After too many days without my "Bit Gym" indoor exercise app, I got on my bike and "rode through Canada." I love it, but did I hurt it worse, or is some cardio okay even with a bad injury like this? I really enjoy these rides, but perhaps I should have waited?

I couldn't break 95 rpms, but Map My Ride assigned me MORE calories than previous faster rides just as long. As though "it knew." Weird. I certainly deserved the calories; I really, really struggled. Didn't have the breath.

Is this okay? I need to get the breath moving anyway. if anyone knows about exercise with rib injuries, please let me know. Thank you.

All the best,
Robin

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Without a full diagnosis it is impossible to know what you should or shouldn’t do. Have you been to the doctor?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    See a doctor
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Have a doctor check it out! injured my rib cage trying to do leg lifts on a slant board, sidelined for 6 weeks. Now I am returning slowly to regular activities.
  • robinmarkz
    edited April 2015
    Thank you. I have decided to do it - get an x-ray. I had just been to the doc and feel weird to go back. I haven't gone back yet but I have decided to. I just coughed a lot and it was like being run through with a sword. Thought I was gonna pass out. It's just that I heard that they can't really *do* anything for a rib.

Can I do Bit Gym on my bike? It's recumbent. My chest and back are supported. It's so fun. I did it two days ago. Couldn't go as fast but I did it. I don't want to do nothing at all. I am making good progress with MFP.

Thanks,
    Robin
  • ZebsterBC
    ZebsterBC Posts: 198 Member
    robinmarkz wrote: »
    Thank you. I have decided to do it - get an x-ray. I had just been to the doc and feel weird to go back. I haven't gone back yet but I have decided to. I just coughed a lot and it was like being run through with a sword. Thought I was gonna pass out. It's just that I heard that they can't really *do* anything for a rib.

They can if its a dislocated rib. Ignoring it caused long term problems for me. Don't make the mistake I made.

• fivelongmiles
    fivelongmiles Posts: 54 Member
    ZebsterBC wrote: »
    They can if its a dislocated rib. Ignoring it caused long term problems for me. Don't make the mistake I made.
    I made this mistake too, although I didn't even know I'd broken any ribs and I was a child so it's only partly my fault :smiley:

But yeah, see a doctor while they can still do something, if something can be done!
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    You should get it checked out. I had an intercostal sprain and didn't start recovering until I gave in (after spending a week in a world of pain!) and went to the docs for some horse pills.
  • robinmarkz
    ZebsterBC wrote: »
    robinmarkz wrote: »

Thank you. And thanks everyone. I am calling my doctor in the morning. No work tomorrow. I can't concentrate anyway. I wanted it to just go away but it won't. It got worse.

I will let you know what it is. I can't believe this happened. I was enjoying the exercise program so much and making nice progress to being fitter on MFP. Oh well. That's life.

All the best and thanks again,
    Robin

• robinmarkz
    Hi. Just the promised update. No fracture! It's bruised. No idea how, but in a week, I should be over most of the pain.

I am glad I took the x-rays because I do have osteoporosis. And I need a fresh bone scan, physical therapy, and strength training to build bone and also flexibility training so this doesn't happen again. I have to lift some weights. Slow and easy, but I have to.

On Saturday, I ride through "the Rockies" on my Bit Gym! Happy Days will be here again.

Thanks again for the moral support. I was really scared and in a lot of pain. Nown I am relieved and ready to take care of my issues. (All cardio, no weights. I will fix that!)

All the best,
    Robin
  • robinmarkz
    edited April 2015
    Hi. Just the promised update. No fracture! It's bruised. No idea how, but in a week, I should be over most of the pain.

I am glad I took the x-rays because I do have osteoporosis. And I need a fresh bone scan, physical therapy, and strength training to build bone and also flexibility training so this doesn't happen again. I have to lift some weights. Slow and easy, but I have to.

On Saturday, I will ride through "the Rockies" on my Bit Gym! Happy Days will be here again.

Thanks again for the moral support. I was really scared and in a lot of pain. Now I am relieved and ready to take care of my issues. (All cardio, no weights. I will fix that!)

All the best,
    Robin :)