My Shakeology tastes like...

Options
...*kitten*. I have chocolate Shakeology right now and I am finding it disgusting. I've read online where people think it "tastes like candy." Either I'm doing it wrong or they have questionable taste in candy. Does anyone have any good mixes for it or suggestions? I just blended it with ice and Almond Milk.

I'm allergic to peanut butter and lactose intolerant so I can't use either of those.

Replies

• ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with a banana, plain yogurt, coconut water and peanut butter. Since you can't have most of that...my son has his with a banana, strawberries and coconut water. Try something different than peanut butter. Are peanuts the only nut you are allergic to?
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    dont do shakeology its a waste of moneyand a scam
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    This person said it tastes great
    Pros:
    - Tastes great
    - Quick easy meal (one less meal to plan and prepare)
    - Actually saves me money compared to the junk food and fast food I used to eat
    - Measurable improvements to my overall health and fitness

Cons:
    - I personally don’t like the greenberry flavor
    - Some feel that it’s too expensive
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with a banana, plain yogurt, coconut water and peanut butter. Since you can't have most of that...my son has his with a banana, strawberries and coconut water. Try something different than peanut butter. Are peanuts the only nut you are allergic to?

Thank, i will try the version your son tries. I can have almonds, but almost all almond butters are made in the same facility as peanuts, unless i go to whole food where they grind their own, but it's not often i get down there. :)
  • KristyAnn81
    Options
    This person said it tastes great
    Pros:
    - Tastes great
    - Quick easy meal (one less meal to plan and prepare)
    - Actually saves me money compared to the junk food and fast food I used to eat
    - Measurable improvements to my overall health and fitness

Cons:
    - I personally don’t like the greenberry flavor
    - Some feel that it’s too expensive

Thanks, and I know it's expensive, but I give anything a try once... :)
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I like it and am not a Beachbody Coach. I like it mixed with 1/2 a banana and skim milk and ice. Switched receently to almond milk to cut downon sugars though and that with just a little ice like you did and I think it tastes like a milkshake. Of course, I blend it. I've been consistent on it for 3 months and have dropped some additional weight with an increase in energy, and it honestly curbs my appetite as the shakes are pretty thick. I have done all kinds of protein shakes and powders in the past, but so far, have enjoyed Shakeology and it's benefits. Some people mix it with other fruit and extracts (almond, coconut), honey, cold coffee, OJ, cinammon, etc. Everyone has their own preferences though.
  • KristyAnn81
    Options
    I like it and am not a Beachbody Coach. I like it mixed with 1/2 a banana and skim milk and ice. Switched receently to almond milk to cut downon sugars though and that with just a little ice like you did and I think it tastes like a milkshake. Of course, I blend it. I've been consistent on it for 3 months and have dropped some additional weight with an increase in energy, and it honestly curbs my appetite as the shakes are pretty thick. I have done all kinds of protein shakes and powders in the past, but so far, have enjoyed Shakeology and it's benefits. Some people mix it with other fruit and extracts (almond, coconut), honey, cold coffee, OJ, cinammon, etc. Everyone has their own preferences though.

Thank you! I did get through drinking it and I did notice that it made me feel fuller longer. I'd like to give it a good go, since I have it, I just don't want to me this face the entire time: :sick:
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    If it tastes that bad, throw it out and consider it an expensive lesson learned. Life is too short to force something that tastes like *kitten* on yourself--even if you gussie it up with fruit, it will still taste like, well, fruit-flavored *kitten*. Stick to food from now on!
  • ncmedic201
    Options
    The first time I tried it I thought it was nasty, but I didn't blend it with anything but water. It's a good way to add extra nutrients. I'm trying to increase my potassium. The coconut water tastes disgusting by itself but it good in the shake and adds potassium to my diet. If there's anything you're lacking, try and think of creative and good tasting ways to add them to your shake.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is, BB tries to justify the cost by claiming it's a total meal replacement, yet just about everyone seems to have to load it with bananas or other fruit, peanut butter, almond or coconut milk, or a bunch of other ingredients to choke it down. All those add-ins add up to a lot more $$, making it an even worse value.
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I saw an ad on the Beachbody site where they promised the taste for one of the flavours was soon going to be a 'million times better'.

Or something like that.

So OP I don't think you can be the *only* one who thinks Shakeology tastes like *kitten* if even the creators are putting stuff like that on their website ;)
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is, BB tries to justify the cost by claiming it's a total meal replacement, yet just about everyone seems to have to load it with bananas or other fruit, peanut butter, almond or coconut milk, or a bunch of other ingredients to choke it down. All those add-ins add up to a lot more $$, making it an even worse value.

That was my thought also. If you have to add stuff, it makes having to spend that much for it a moot point. I do add ice, banana and almond milk to my chocolate whey protein though.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I love the taste mixed with milk or almond milk or coconut milk. I don't need to add anything to it. Every time I try a different shake I think that shake tastes like *kitten* compared go shakeology so maybe I am the odd one. I buy it on eBay.
  • KristyAnn81
    Options
    I thank you all for your replies!

I'm not going to go one by one to quote, but most of those ingredients that are added in (banana, almond milk) are something i have in my house anyway and not bought special. If I had to buy special crap to go with it, I don't think I'd do it.

Second, it's not money lost. I'm ending Insanity and bought Turbo Fire and when I ordered it, this time I took the option to get 7 days of Shakeology for free - soooo I didn't spend any money on the actual Shakeology and I'm trying it to see if I like it. I have read so much about it about how it is great and people love it, just not from BB but on blogs, so I'd like to try it.

If it continues to taste like *kitten*, I will NOT be ordering it. But I'll try the suggestions given :)
  • ncmedic201
    Options

Actually, it tastes good with milk but not water. I add all the other stuff because I'm having a hard time getting enough potassium and protein in my diet and I've found this a good way to do so.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options

Actually, it tastes good with milk but not water. I add all the other stuff because I'm having a hard time getting enough potassium and protein in my diet and I've found this a good way to do so.
    Have you tried, you know, food?
  • catieschwartz
    catieschwartz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I didn't like it at first either, but I gave it another try recently and now I love it. I got the chocolate vegan this time which I think has a better taste/texture. Try it with some different extracts-peppermint extract is my favorite.
  • alannalemon
    alannalemon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    also, i don't know if anyone mentioned this, but i usually use 2 cups of liquid (1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk and 1 cup water). that should help with the consistency... also, for the chocolate i generally use 1 cup or so of frozen strawberries or mixed berries, and an ice cube or two if i want it thicker. hope that helps!! :)

also, i personally prefer greenberry with the same recipe as above. but you might just have the chocolate flavor so that might not be helpful
  • KristyAnn81
    Options
    So, I took some advice and went on eBay and ordered some individual packets to try some other flavors. It may just be the regular chocolate that isn't to my fancy.

You're all awesome, thanks!!!
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Save your money. I get GNC pro performance vanilla whey protein powder OR sometimes the target brand. It's about 20 for a month supply.

I mix it with coconut milk and strawberries. Tastes great.