Too few calories + too much exercise = no weight loss?

Options
124»

Replies

• jcmhe
    jcmhe Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    HeidiHoMom wrote: »
    I know many people here say starvation mode is a myth but when I increased my calories I started losing again.

I would eat more calories and work on a BF% loss as opposed to a weight loss.
    Starvation mode is a real thing. I have a history of an Ed and although now am overweight I eat less than 1000cals a day and my body is holding on to everything. Even when I try to up my cals I get anxious and freak out.
    That said I know I need to increase cals but unsure about how I need to do so. So I can completely understand where she is coming from.

• jcmhe
    Options
    Why are you so obsessed with an arbitrary number instead of focusing on how you look and feel?

Some people have to have that number. Psychologically need that number. Whereas you are happier with pant size or how you feel.....other people need other things to assure themselves that they are where they want to be.

• jcmhe
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    because you aren't new I can say this without a rebuff....

why would you try for 1lb a week? It's quite aggressive.

If it's for summer I guess I understand a bit but you are pretty lean already....and you know it's harder to lose the smaller you get. As well cortisol...stress....water...glycogen...all could be causing issues.

Took a peek at your diary..you aren't hitting your goal most days...usually off by 100 which isn't a lot but you said you were tired, low etc. Hitting goal even that extra 100 could help you "feel" better.

Wish I could be more help but my summer cut is 1/2lb a week...and that is hard on me...good luck I hope you get the answers you need.

oh on a note...a friend of mine on here indicated she doesn't do accessories on deload weeks as she finds she doesn't recover as fast...maybe try that?

I know 1 lb/week is aggressive. I knew it was a bit of a long shot, but even if I didn't lose 1 lb every week, I expected at least a small loss each week. I've only had two weeks that actually resulted in a loss. I've even had some "gains" (I know it's not fat, but still). It's just frustrating because I was still slowly losing at 2000 calories per day trying to find my maintenance calories, so I thought it would be easier.

It actually wasn't 1 lb/week. I started at 121 lbs and wanted to get to 115 lbs (ish). I won't go below 115. However, when I did the math, 1700 calories/day + the extra workouts should, in theory, result in 1 lb/week loss. Clearly that's not happening. You're right that I'm closer to goal and so it's going to be harder.

As for my calories, I do IIFYM, so I don't pay attention to what MFP says my calorie intake is. My macros add up to 1650-1700 every day.

you have to do what works for you. If 1700 isn't doing it try 1800. And good luck sweetie! Hope you achieve what you are hoping for
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I really don't see the problem here. 2.5 pounds in 6 weeks. Just under a half pound. You're losing. You said you only saw a loss 2 of the 6 weeks but you know it doesn't work like that. You lost over time and it just so happened to show on the scale only a couple of weeks. Doesn't mean all 6 weren't a success.

The fact that you're losing just says, IMO, that your tdee is different than what you felt, the extra cardio activity isn't as much as you thought or your lack of energy is causing you do do less general activity throughout the day (thus less calories burned and different tdee), or your increased activity with minimal rest has you retaining water. I really think a week deload (a serious deload) or even as far as a rest eating at maintenance would be good for your body and the scale.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    jcmhe wrote: »
    I know many people here say starvation mode is a myth but when I increased my calories I started losing again.

Starvation mode is a real thing. I have a history of an Ed and although now am overweight I eat less than 1000cals a day and my body is holding on to everything. Even when I try to up my cals I get anxious and freak out.
    That said I know I need to increase cals but unsure about how I need to do so. So I can completely understand where she is coming from.

if starvation mode is real then why are people dying of starvation in africa???

what you experienced is adaptive thermogenesis i.e. damaged metabolism form chronic underrating…

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,943 Member
    Options
    If someone only has a small amount of bodyfat and they restrict their calories severely, what is it that they are going to lose?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jcmhe wrote: »

if starvation mode is real then why are people dying of starvation in africa???

what you experienced is adaptive thermogenesis i.e. damaged metabolism form chronic underrating…

Starvation mode is skin and bones when you've been deprived of food for a long period of time, not being overweight and can't lose because your body is "holding onto everything". But if you believe that, go get another giant bag of potato chips to shake your body out of it.