Extremely fussy eater

Options
2»

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I think that once I start cooking my own meals I may experiment more.

What is holding you back from trying to cook your own meals?

I wasn't a super-fussy eater but hated the vegetables my mother cooked because her idea of cooking was to boil all the flavour and crispness out of everything. Sorry mom, but it's true! Still true, sadly!

As a teenager I took up cooking as a form of self-preservation. I made crisp stir frys, ratatouille (tender young zucchini and other vegies of the day), steamed vegies lightly, and so on. Of course I moved on from vegetables and ended up becoming quite a decent cook. It's a good life skill!

Cook for yourself. Experiment. You may find that when you have total control over the ingredients and the cooking methods that you are more willing to try your own creations. You won't hit a home run every time but you will find new foods and types of foods you didn't think you'd like, and that will lead to further successes as you build upon each new discovery.

• joannereidx
    joannereidx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

I work in town and by the time I travel home by bus it's about 7.15pm, therefore my mum cooks my evening meal for me. I do enjoy cooking so I think I should definitely start experimenting with new things at the weekend. Then if I like it I can have it for my tea during the week.
  • joannereidx
    Options
    Smoke medical marijuana. You will eat like a garbage disposal. No joke, that may actually help you bc the chemicals make you think you are hungry. You will want to try new foods, and will have less inhibition.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/239720-signs-of-someone-smoking-marijuana/#page=1

mm I don't think I'm that desperate lol

• cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Try new foods in different ways! I used to be picky until I lived with someone who was an awesome cook & everything she made was amazing.
    I learned to love sweet potatoes, zucchini/squash, & carrots because they don't really have a taste by themselves, it depends how you prepare them. Sweet potato fries are AMAZING. You can find endless recipes online. Just keep trying, don't give up!
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

I work in town and by the time I travel home by bus it's about 7.15pm, therefore my mum cooks my evening meal for me. I do enjoy cooking so I think I should definitely start experimenting with new things at the weekend. Then if I like it I can have it for my tea during the week.

I go to the gym right after work and don't get home until 7 most nights. I'm still able to fix dinner for myself. Granted, I don't enjoy cooking and so I mostly do pretty quick easy things, but I'm just saying, it's doable.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Smoke medical marijuana. You will eat like a garbage disposal. No joke, that may actually help you bc the chemicals make you think you are hungry. You will want to try new foods, and will have less inhibition.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/239720-signs-of-someone-smoking-marijuana/#page=1

You eat one meal: mac n cheese. How much worse does it get?
  • joannereidx
    edited April 2015
    Options

It would have to get a looooot worse before I took drugs :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    check out the adult picky eaters page and corresponding yahoo group. I think what you have going on is beyond the average "fussy" eater, and may infact be ARFID. My kid has it, and eats a pretty narrow range. the adult picky eating website has been really helpful to our family.
  • joannereidx
    Options
    check out the adult picky eaters page and corresponding yahoo group. I think what you have going on is beyond the average "fussy" eater, and may infact be ARFID. My kid has it, and eats a pretty narrow range. the adult picky eating website has been really helpful to our family.

Thank you, I will have a look!

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

It would have to get a looooot worse before I took drugs :)

Like....throwing up, or dying? You already don't eat much: bread and mac n cheese are far from nutritious. Eventually, you will establish nutrition deficiencies that can cause long-term disorders. My question still stands: How much worse does it get?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused...if you just tried mac and cheese a few months ago, what were you eating before then? Does your mom make you mac and cheese for dinner every night?

If you really are that limited, start by branching out to foods that are relatively similar to what you're already eating. Alfredo is somewhat similar to the cheese sauce you use in mac and cheese, or try some variations on your standard recipe (try adding some different cheeses, or adding some peas/carrots to the pasta, or a bread crumb topping).
  • joannereidx
    Options
    I rarely ate meals I would have cereal/toast for my dinner. Now my only options are macaroni and cheese, baked potato or salad.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I rarely ate meals I would have cereal/toast for my dinner. Now my only options are macaroni and cheese, baked potato or salad.

Well, I'm glad you'll eat salad. What do you eat for protein?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Well, I'm glad you'll eat salad. What do you eat for protein?

You didnt ask me, but I see a common theme among extremely picky eaters. Almost all drink milk, eat cheddar cheese, and eat smooth peanut butter, and some can do chicken nuggets as well (mcdonald's nuggets being a fan favorite).

but even bread, pasta, and cereal has protien in it, and if you are eating primarily those items, it all adds up.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You're 18. you've been eating for 18 years and you ONLY eat those three things?

You're a grown adult- figure out how to cook- try new things- the thing that works for kids works for adults to
    "try at least once to figure out if you ACTUALLY like it or not"

my bf practically refused to eat almost anything I cooked- and every once in a while I ordered lamb when we would go to dinner- so one night he surprised me with little lamb chops- found a great recipie and cooked them for me.

Lather rinse repeat- now he buys enough lamb for both of us- because he cooks them well and he likes it.

but you have to go try things.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There are two programs I can think of that might help.

Cognitive behavioral therapy, which will gradually get you used to new things.

Chronic Disease Self Management Program, which teaches you to troubleshoot and develop new strategies.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Eat something -- just one thing -- today that is new to you. Tomorrow, eat that same thing, plus another new things. Give each new food at least 3 tries before you decide it's not for you. Try something new everyday. If this sounds like it's beyond your emotional capabilities, you need to find a therapist experienced in eating disorders and possibly see a neuropsychologist for testing regarding sensory processing functions.

Absent any legitimate mental or neuropsych issues, it's just a matter of trying and having a good attitude. With those issues, there isn't much that MFP forum folk can actually do for you.
  • Jordansfitnessjourney
    Options
    I'm the same! When I was younger the doctor always called it 'disordered eating' for me. Up until about the age of 14 I was always under weight, now I don't have that problem but I'm still super fussy! I actually do love veg and some fruits, but some of the things I don't like a lot of my friends think is silly! I don't like things like pasta, chicken, steak, sausages, turkey, bacon, cheese, well actually the list goes on! I dread restaurants and have to look up the menu before I go to make sure I;m going to like at least one thing! I'm glad that I am not the only one though!