Corn: how much and how often

Options
I love sweet corn in the summer. Boiled corn on the cob tastes great, even without salt and butter. I'd like to hear from some of you about corn. Does it count as fruit or vegetable? Is it too sugary? How much is good to eat in a meal?

Replies

• daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wow, I don't know that I've seen someone so worried about corn.

Is this what you're talking about when you say "corn"? :D
    FM3X5MCH88XIJR6.LARGE.jpg

To start to address your concerns, corn is technically a grain, though I'm not sure why that matters. You can totally eat corn all summer. Just factor it into your calories and/or macros. I personally wouldn't consider corn too sugary, though I think it's supposed to be better in terms of the starch if you eat it quicker rather than storing it in the fridge. To figure out how much to eat in a meal, look at your calories/macros and figure out how much you can eat and still meet your goals.

funny-corn-body-cremated-popcorn.jpg
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If it fits in my calorie count, I eat it. I love fresh sweet corn too. My mother-in-law's husband has a huge garden and grows silver queen corn that's awesome. I usually eat mine with garlic butter and a bit of salt. I don't particularly care how its classified and I don't limit sugar. When I can get it fresh, I eat it at least once a week, sometimes more.

I usually throw the whole ear, husk and all, in a hot oven to roast. Then when its good and hot, take it out and cut off the stalk end. Hold the other end firmly and shake and the corn slides out of the husk clean. No worrying about shucking or dealing with the silk at all. Easy peasy.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm. I can't wait for some grilled corn on the cob. Just fit it into your calorie goals and you'll be o.k.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I eat corn just about every day because I like it. I don't eat a whole lot, and it is usually mixed with other veg, but it's one of my favourite veggies. :)

When it comes to cobs, I have just one.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,153 Member
    Options
    Fit it in your calories. Enjoy. If you are seeking a certain macro goal you would have to fit it with that as well. Other than that, it is not an issue.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    amitkatz0 wrote: »
    Does it count as fruit or vegetable?

Neither. It's a grain.
    Is it too sugary?

Nope. Why would it be.
    How much is good to eat in a meal?

Whatever you like and fits in your calories.

I live in Illinois, and fresh sweet corn in season is one of my greatest food pleasures, and I eat lots of it then (in place of potatoes or pasta or whatever starch course I otherwise would have with lunch/dinner--but I don't eat low carb). I rarely eat it otherwise, because it's just not the same.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Corn is a whole food so obviously it is horrible for you...

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I have corn on occasion. I consider it more a starch than a vegetable, log it and track it like anything else, make it fit like anything else.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I can't imagine summer without fresh corn on the cob from the garden. It can be considered a vegetable or grain. Some consider sweet corn a vegetable and feed corn a grain, but I imagine there are varying opinions on the matter.

I've never really thought about how much is too much in one meal. I guess I'd say if you are eating so much in one meal that your diet becomes unbalanced then it's too much.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I love corn but eat it as a starch and not a veggie. So, when I do eat corn I always eat another non starchy vegetable with it.

This^

I just treat it as a carb and move on. Just balance corn out with other things.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I don't eat foods that look the same coming out as they do going in, gives me a sense of incomplete digestion.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I treat corn as my carb. I checked it's glycemic load and it's pretty decent (9) compared to the potato (29). I recently had a corn craving. I think I was wanting greater volume for fewer calories. I was eating several cups of popcorn daily.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Here are some corn myths dispelled: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/26/corn-health-myths-nutrition_n_5591977.html Eat corn if you like it, and don't feel bad about it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't eat foods that look the same coming out as they do going in, gives me a sense of incomplete digestion.

Incomplete digestion is not necessarily a bad thing when trying to lose weight. Undigested food means unabsorbed calories. This is exactly the reason I set a high fiber goal.
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I don't eat corn anymore.....too many calories and carbs....same goes for peas....rarely eat potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, oatmeal....don't miss corn
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Corn is used to fatten cows. If it causes cows to get fat.... Why do you believe it wont make you fat. I do not eat corn or corn products, ever.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's a grain, counts as a starch. Just log it and eat it.

I eat a lot of corn, on the cob, and polenta porridge, it's wonderful <3
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Corn is used to fatten cows. If it causes cows to get fat.... Why do you believe it wont make you fat. I do not eat corn or corn products, ever.

I'm pretty sure the phrase "fatten cows" is an anachronism. People demand low-fat beef products these days. A more appropriate term I believe would be "corn is used to bulk cattle for market."
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Well, for starters, I don't eat nearly as much corn as a cow.