Should GMO ingredients be labeled as such on food products?

Options
12346»

Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yes, even though it's a logistical nightmare, full disclosure is not a bad thing.

Logistical nightmare is a reason not to compel something.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,006 Member
    Options
    Yes, even though it's a logistical nightmare, full disclosure is not a bad thing.

And a good reason for foods without GMO to be labeled so, and if it doesn't have a NO GMO label, then they are GM....simple. The other way around is the nightmare. But that's too easy, it appears. The problem is most food in the US is GM, so why play with your own poo if you don't have to.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Information is always good. If you don't care that its genetically modified (I don't) then ignore it. But people should be allowed to make the decision for themselves.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    IMO anti-GMO people are much like anti-vaxxers. I find many believe BS websites that are nothing more than fear-mongering with very little (if any) scientific facts presented. Most anti-GMO people do not even have the very basic education of what GMO is, how it is used in agriculture today, and how the benefits of GMO are being developed for use in medicine and efforts to feed the hungry world-wide.

For a basic education and discussion on the benefits and concerns of GMO, I recommend this youtube video. It is lengthy but it hits almost all the important, factual information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7SBWB1JJfU

This!!! Please let them not vaccinate and not eat GMO foods (which at this point is all foods). Save the race - don't let morons perpetuate the stupid gene.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Totally unconcerned about GMO labelling. It's just another means of controlling the food. And you know what they say: "he who controls the food . . ."
    lynndot1 wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    I'd like to see GMO labeled.
    That will cost these billionaire companies too much money to print out new labels plus it will create unnecessary panic. Do you really want to pay .17 cents more for creamed corn for awareness sake? Don't worry about it. Monsanto is feeding the world. There are farmers all across the globe who will gladly pay the fees to use Monsanto seeds every single year - the humanity brings a single tear to my eye!

Just buy organic food if you're that worried. There will be plenty of that stuff on the shelves so long as Roundup Ready crops don't contaminate the nearby crops forcing the hard working farmer to lose organic certification. Neil Degrasse-Tyson says chill out, yo!

so non-organic farmers are not hard workers now?
    Didn't you know? Conventional agriculture is cheating, making a profit is okay for any industry except in agriculture, that's a cardinal sin, and neither the government nor producers care about the people or the safety of the food they eat ;)

Yes, they are supposed to feed a 21st century population using 18th century methods and feed their families and their livestock (if they have any) and pay their bills on thin air. I can't think of any other industry that is discouraged from making any technological or scientific progress, even though everyone can benefit from better industry practices.

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    bf0mam6a9lt6.jpg
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

And a good reason for foods without GMO to be labeled so, and if it doesn't have a NO GMO label, then they are GM....simple. The other way around is the nightmare. But that's too easy, it appears. The problem is most food in the US is GM, so why play with your own poo if you don't have to.

Exactly my feels on this issue
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I'm for the non-gmo labeling, although I don't care if it is or not and don't make my food decisions based on it. My biggest fear about it is that I think it'll be like the whole organic thing, where companies have to pay to be "certified" to have non-gmo on their label, costing the everyday user in the end.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I'm for the non-gmo labeling, although I don't care if it is or not and don't make my food decisions based on it. My biggest fear about it is that I think it'll be like the whole organic thing, where companies have to pay to be "certified" to have non-gmo on their label, costing the everyday user in the end.

I'm all for people having to pay for their irrational fears.

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    No.

Do you think foods that contain DNA should be labeled as such?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Fix the root cause and label people who believe that GMO makes a difference - Scarlet Gs.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    No.

Do you think foods that contain DNA should be labeled as such?
    Some gene pools, no doubt about it.

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I'm of the strong opinion that I'm going to die some day.

I'm not interested in wringing my hands about something that may or may not shave 12 hours off my lifespan.

Yep, pretty much how I look at it too B)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,646 Member
    Options
    The assumption should be it's GMO. If labeling were to happen, the burden should be on the sellers of product who have non GMO product. We have gluten free, sugar free, diary free, lactose free, etc. Same with food products that say free range, hormone free, etc. and people who opt for those will.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    bf0mam6a9lt6.jpg

This! I want this!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The assumption should be it's GMO. If labeling were to happen, the burden should be on the sellers of product who have non GMO product. We have gluten free, sugar free, diary free, lactose free, etc. Same with food products that say free range, hormone free, etc. and people who opt for those will.

Works for me!

:drinker:

• lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    "Hormone free" is probably my favorite food label ever. Everything we eat that was once a living thing (animal or plant) had an endocrine system, so every food we eat has "hormones" in it. Luckily for us you'd never eat enough of any food for it to affect your body. Those pesky digestive enzymes we have ;)

A serving of red meat has ~1ng of estrogen, an egg has about ~900ng, 1 oz serving of wheat germ about 500ng...one birth control pill has 30,000 ng, and women have to take it at the same time, every day, for it to work. So next time you worry about "hormones in food" - don't. And don't spend extra money just because something claims it's "hormone free" because you know now that it doesn't make sense or make it different from anything else on the shelf.

Or, find me a chicken or corn plant or strawberry that somehow lived on this earth without hormones. Either one.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    lynndot1 wrote: »
    "Hormone free" is probably my favorite food label ever. Everything we eat that was once a living thing (animal or plant) had an endocrine system, so every food we eat has "hormones" in it. Luckily for us you'd never eat enough of any food for it to affect your body. Those pesky digestive enzymes we have ;)

A serving of red meat has ~1ng of estrogen, an egg has about ~900ng, 1 oz serving of wheat germ about 500ng...one birth control pill has 30,000 ng, and women have to take it at the same time, every day, for it to work. So next time you worry about "hormones in food" - don't. And don't spend extra money just because something claims it's "hormone free" because you know now that it doesn't make sense or make it different from anything else on the shelf.

Or, find me a chicken or corn plant or strawberry that somehow lived on this earth without hormones. Either one.
    Yes, I always chuckle to myself when I see that one.