Weighing your food

HardcoreP0rk
HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Has anyone else noticed that serving sizes, which are listed in weight AND volume, are often dramatically "off" ?

This morning, I weighed out my Fage 2% yogurt, and it came in at 528g. When I looked at the container, that's roughly 2.3 servings of 227g each. They list a serving as 8 ounces. I can't imagine this is a volumetric 8 ounces. And there's NO WAY I ate over 16 volumetric ounces of yogurt.

Is it possible, that their serving size isn't a volumetric 8 ounces? I mean, they don't necessarily say if it's by weight or volume (which is why I hate 'ounces' in general).

Do any of you come across similar issues when you weigh your food?

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,787 Member
    Yes. This is why we weigh our food. The volume sizes on serving labels are essentially the company's best guess as to what size a weighted serving will be -- it's usually not accurate at home for a host of possible reasons (different measuring cups, packing more or less in than they did in their lab, altitude variations). It's exactly why people here are so vocal about weighing food rather than estimating or cup-measuring; the calories in a serving are (more or less) accurate by weight, not by volume.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    avskk wrote: »
    Yes. This is why we weigh our food. The volume sizes on serving labels are essentially the company's best guess as to what size a weighted serving will be -- it's usually not accurate at home for a host of possible reasons (different measuring cups, packing more or less in than they did in their lab, altitude variations). It's exactly why people here are so vocal about weighing food rather than estimating or cup-measuring; the calories in a serving are (more or less) accurate by weight, not by volume.

Exactly.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Volume ounces are not the same as weight ounces. So liquids and other wet ingredients are usually measured in volume ounces due to their fluidity. Dry ingredients will be measured in weight ounces. The manufacturer will provide the correct information to use and in tracking caloric intake, I always weigh as for example, a tablespoon of peanut butter and a true tablespoon of peanut butter (by weight) are significantly different in calories.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    You guys arent getting it. Obviously volume ounces and weight ounces are different, because...density. It would appear that Fage did a short cut though, and just converted 8 ounces to grams weight for weight RATHER than actually list the weight in g of an 8 volumetric ounce serving.

I DO believe that they are saying a serving = 8 volumetric ounces. I DONT believe that they are listing the correct weight in grams of a single serving. Do you ever see discrepancies such as this on other foods?

• HardcoreP0rk
    cajuntank wrote: »
    Volume ounces are not the same as weight ounces. So liquids and other wet ingredients are usually measured in volume ounces due to their fluidity. Dry ingredients will be measured in weight ounces. The manufacturer will provide the correct information to use and in tracking caloric intake, I always weigh as for example, a tablespoon of peanut butter and a true tablespoon of peanut butter (by weight) are significantly different in calories.

So yogurt is a colloid... would it be measured in fluid ounces?
  • cajuntank
    You guys arent getting it. Obviously volume ounces and weight ounces are different, because...density. It would appear that Fage did a short cut though, and just converted 8 ounces to grams weight for weight RATHER than actually list the weight in g of an 8 volumetric ounce serving.

I DO believe that they are saying a serving = 8 volumetric ounces. I DONT believe that they are listing the correct weight in grams of a single serving. Do you ever see discrepancies such as this on other foods?

So lets do the math. 28.3495 grams = 1oz
    28.3495g x 8oz = 226.796 grams and they are saying that a 8oz serving is 227g

Guess I'm still not following what your issue is.
  • HardcoreP0rk

8oz BY WEIGHT is 227g

8oz BY VOLUME could be any number of g in weight

They list a volumetric serving size of 1 cup / 8 oz but they list a mass of 227g which is SIGNIFICANTLY LESS than 8 volumetric oz of yogurt. So which is the REAL serving size?
  • auddii
    edited April 2015

Hm, that's weird. Any greek yogurt I've eaten lists a serving as 1 cup (8fl oz), and all of them have been 220-230g. You're right I completely misread your post. But, even if you just google 8 ounces in grams, you get 226, so that is based off of weight ounces. But, when I measure out my 226g of yogurt, it's very close to a one fluid cup measurement (I put it into a 1 cup tupperware for transport to work).

I can't even fathom how they got over 500 grams in a serving unless it's just a complete typo. Or they're using dark matter as an ingredient...

I personally haven't noticed anything this blatantly wrong.

ETA: Rereading the first post; I'm more confused than ever.

I find 8 ounces (by weight) of greek yogurt to be very close to 8 ounces (fluid). Perhaps you are underestimating what 2.5 cups of yogurt looks like?
  • HardcoreP0rk
    edited April 2015
    auddii wrote: »

Hm, that's weird. Any greek yogurt I've eaten lists a serving as 1 cup (8fl oz), and all of them have been 220-230g. You're right I completely misread your post. But, even if you just google 8 ounces in grams, you get 226, so that is based off of weight ounces. But, when I measure out my 226g of yogurt, it's very close to a one fluid cup measurement (I put it into a 1 cup tupperware for transport to work).

I can't even fathom how they got over 500 grams in a serving unless it's just a complete typo. Or they're using dark matter as an ingredient...

I'll test again at home. Maybe I made a mistake or didnt tare my balance appropriately. I'm glad someone who has weighed yogurt was able to chime in, because I was going crazy. I will carefully weigh out 8 volumetric ounces and get back to you guys. But my issue is that I was using a small glass that doesnt even hold 16 oz and it came in at 528g of yogurt which is (by their numbers) over 18 ounces. It's so far off, I had to have made a mistake.

ETA: I logged it as 1.5 servings because it's DEFINITELY not 2.3 servings but I don't want to underestimate.
  • cajuntank

8oz BY WEIGHT is 227g

They list a volumetric serving size of 1 cup / 8 oz but they list a mass of 227g which is SIGNIFICANTLY LESS than 8 volumetric oz of yogurt. So which is the REAL serving size?

Ok, I think I get you. Because they actually included the wording "1 cup" which infers volume rather than just stating 8oz and weight. Am I following you now?
  • HardcoreP0rk
    edited April 2015

8oz BY WEIGHT is 227g

Ok, I think I get you. Because they actually included the wording "1 cup" which infers volume rather than just stating 8oz and weight. Am I following you now?

Exactly.

ETA: It's listed like this:

1 cup / 8 oz (227g)
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    I have noticed that they can be off by around 10% especially calorie dense foods and breads. I don't sweat the small stuff though, I weigh and log everything, and if I'm +/-100 cals from my goal it's as good as a bullseye.

Rigger
  • cajuntank

8oz BY WEIGHT is 227g

Exactly.

Probably their indifference to it's exactitude thinking that people will recognize 1 cup as 8oz and since they also offer the weight, they assume it's inferred that its by weight and truly not by volume.
  • auddii
    edited April 2015
    auddii wrote: »

I'll test again at home. Maybe I made a mistake or didnt tare my balance appropriately. I'm glad someone who has weighed yogurt was able to chime in, because I was going crazy. I will carefully weigh out 8 volumetric ounces and get back to you guys. But my issue is that I was using a small glass that doesnt even hold 16 oz and it came in at 528g of yogurt which is (by their numbers) over 18 ounces. It's so far off, I had to have made a mistake.

ETA: I logged it as 1.5 servings because it's DEFINITELY not 2.3 servings but I don't want to underestimate.

Yeah, be sure you tared the glass. I use a plastic container, so it only weighs 10g. I know just in case I take too long to weigh out my yogurt and it turns off (usually when it's the last serving out of the container and I'm trying to scrape the sides). If that happens, I just turn it back on and then measure to 236g (226g of yogurt + 10g of container).

I find it's useful to know the weights of some of your commonly used containers. Sadly, my bowls in my dish set all have different weights, so I never weigh in those.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    If you ate 528g, you ate 2.3 servings.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    _benjammin wrote: »

*rolls eyes*
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    ^???
    I'll assume the container says 4 servings. Weigh out four 227g servings and I'll bet the container is empty.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member

*rolls eyes*

lol

• HardcoreP0rk
    edited April 2015
    Checked today. Looks like I didn't tare the glass. Must have hit the button super quickly while I was flying about in the morning.

ETA - the glass weighs 318g btw. So I got pretty close to 1 serving just by eye balling it.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    ^???
    I'll assume the container says 4 servings. Weigh out four 227g servings and I'll bet the container is empty.

Maybe try reading the whole thread. Just an idea.