where is the best place to go out to eat?!?!?!

Options
Where do you go when you're trying to stick to your diet but still want to go out with friends or out on a date?

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Sushi or Vietnamese food. Mmm...
    I also love Panera.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Anywhere. National chains will have their nutrition info online so you can research the best choices for you beforehand. If you're going local or somewhere that doesn't post those, stick to leaner meats, veggies, and less sauces, and do your best to guess what you've eaten.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Apartment complex dumpsters.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Burger king, I hear they have great burgers.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Find somewhere that either offers nutritional info or a basic Cafe/restaurant that'll prepare you something that fits your requirements (grilled protein, salad or vegies etc). Or.... Just eat less calories during the day and go for whatever you like. It depends on the occasion!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i go to where ever i like best but will usually cut my meal in half and take the rest home. i would maybe not frequent buffets though if u have trouble sticking to one plate!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I find that almost any restaurant will provide substitutes, all you have to do is ask :smile: I don't drink so that's never an issue. I usually ask to substitute the rice/fries/beans/potatos for double the veggie instead and most places are happy to oblige. I often order sauces, dips and dressings on the side and I always begin my meal with a salad. I will also split my plate in half and ask for a to go container to take half home because most restaurant portions are huge! Once in a great while I indulge in the bread basket and/or a dessert but only if I've had a really good week in terms of calories. Sushi is always yummy and you can ask for the rolls to be wrapped in avocado or cucumber instead of rice. Any steakhouse is awesome if you eat meat... nothing like a piece of grilled lean meat with a giant mixed salad! Yum! Seafood places are a great choice (I avoid fried). If I do have a drink which is rare I usually get either a glass of Moscato (bubbly), or something with soda water / vodka. When I go to the movies, which is rare because I can't sit for that long, I always bring my own snacks and my own popcorn. You will be ok :smiley:
    Do you have a date? :blush:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Applesbee's, Buffalo Wild Wings (the naked tenders), or yeah, sushi.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I had a really satisfying steak with roasted potatoes and a stuffed portabella mushroom at Applebee's last week for under 600 calories. They had several good low calorie selections.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Applesbee's, Buffalo Wild Wings (the naked tenders), or yeah, sushi.

Being raised in the Buffalo area, Bdubbs offends me... yuck. :-P

Chipotle is awesome, and you can get a really good burrito bowl for under 400cals, although it does have a LOT of sodium, but... I don't care because it makes my mouth happy.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Sushi is my go-to.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I second or third the sushi. I can eat quite a bit without feeling full and gross.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    This little Mexican restaurant in the town closest to where I live. Margaritas, chips and salsa, and mini chicken chimis. I just plan for it and make it fit. Mmmmmmm!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    When I have to eat out I like Greek food. The options are endless there! Hope this helps.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've started ordering the kids meals where I go. Good food just smaller portions. Chipotle has been my favorite. I love the kids build your own tacos :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Anywhere I please. We don't eat out all that often...and while I try to make good nutritional decisions and practice portion control, when I'm out to eat I don't bother too much trying to stick to some diet. In my experience, dieting is pretty difficult if you eat out regularly which is one of the big reasons my family just doesn't eat out that often...that, and money.

We have family pizza night at least once per month, sometimes a couple times at our favorite local pizzeria, Village Pizza.

My boys also like Sweet Tomatoes a lot and it's a budget friendly way to go with kids as they are free until they are 3 y.o. and after that they're still 1/2 price...this has become a lunch tradition on certain weekends when I take the boys out to do stuff to give mom a break. I'm a big salad eater and I like a good cup of soup so this works well for me and the kids can go to town on the mac and cheese while getting a few veggies in.

If it's my wife an I for date night, we have a handful of local establishments we like...Farm and Table is one of our favorites and is situated on an actual farm and that is where most of the food comes from. Antiquity is our favorite local steak house. Casa de Benevidez for local New Mexican cuisine. Fat Squirrel or Two Fools for pub grub and brews.

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I can't stand most chain restaurants. Any time I go to one I'm disappointed and reminded that me or my boyfriend could make a much tastier meal for less money. So when it comes to local restaurants, they usually don't have the nutrition facts on their websites. Have to do a lot of guess work. But at least I'm paying for good food!
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Fazoli's and Culver's are two of my faves. Both have lower calorie options if that is what you are looking for.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Apartment complex dumpsters.

For some reason, I believe you :lol:
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat out often, I would say treat yourself for a meal and don't worry about it. If you eat out on a regular basis, you have to be mindful of what you eat. I just came back from a vacation (3 nights cruise plus 2 nights in Miami) where the food was great and I ate what I wanted. To my surprise, I came home not gaining any weight (losing a pound, actually). The thing that helped me is I kept my food high protein, moderate-to-high fat and minimal carbs, and I kept my alcohol intake to minimal levels (I have high tolerance, but alcohol isn't always my favorite thing to drink). But I ate till I was happy.