Baked Potato Breakfast Bowl

Options
cwolfman13
cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
I posted pics on another thread and lots of requests for the recipe ensued so I thought I'd post it here for anyone interested. This is one of my Saturday or Sunday morning favorites.

20150419_085059.jpg

20150419_085225.jpg

20150419_092200.jpg

20150419_092515.jpg

Step 1: Rub your potatoes with a little good oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. Make sure you poke some holes in the thing to let the steam out so your potato doesn't explode...it's very messy. Don't foil wrap your potato...stick it in their naked with some foil underneath to catch any drippings, this way the skin gets a little crispy.

This is a good time to poor yourself a cup of coffee and throw on a sweatshirt and take the dog for a walk...a good 3 miles or so later, your potato will be done.

Step 2: Pull the spud out and let it cool a bit. Slice off the top of the potato to get at the "meat" and start scooping...you want to scoop out enough to where you have a nice bowl for everything to go in, but not so much that you're left with no potato. I usually give some of the removed potato to my dog as a special treat for being so good on her walk.

Step 3: I recommend lining your bowl with either some butter or sour cream...I prefer sour cream with some Hatch NM Green Chiles chopped up and mixed in. I use about 1 Tbsp to line my potato.

Step 4: Drop the egg in and give it some S&P.

Step 5: Throw on some good shredded cheddar in an amount that is too your liking, as well as some crispy bacon crumbles and fresh chives.

Step 6: Bake in the oven for 20 minutes @ 350* or until the egg is set. I prefer my yolks runny and 20 minutes gets me there...in the picture above I was a couple minutes late pulling the bowls out of the oven because I was outside cleaning my grill when the timer went off...it was still good, but the yolk came out medium...just be careful with your multi-tasking here...timing is everything.

Step 7: Throw on some more fresh chives and eat and enjoy. I like having mine with mushrooms and tomatoes...obviously.

Replies